2013 Prospect Watch

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CodeGreen, May 9, 2012.

1. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Feel free to use this space to hype up any players you think people should be looking out for entering the 2013 draft.

Lets begin

[​IMG]

By now everyone probably knows about Honey Badger

Honey Badger don't care

Ty Mathieu is the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL

In terms of his draft stock, Mathieu is not the athlete PP7 was, he isnt the shut down corner Mo Claiborne was. But he is a better football player than all of them

He can play man-to-man as he has the speed and quickness to hold up along the edge. Put him in zone and he is a monster. He has ball skills that are out of this world. He isnt an amazing tackler, but he is physical and he can lay a hit on the ball carrier. The only real concern is his size, beyond that he is 5'9" and only around 180 pounds. Other than that their is no reason why he shouldnt be a first round pick

Discuss, Contribute

2. The GM

The GM New Member

Barkevious Mingo, LSU.

There was no JPP in this year's draft.....Mingo fits the bill next year. 6'4, 250 lbs, freakishly athletic edge rusher. If he has a good season he'll be a Top 5 pick since he's going to kill the offseason.

I also believe Ray Ray Armstrong, S out of Miami will be a bonafide steal in the draft. Stayed for his senior season to prove he's a stud when everyone else left Miami. On a team with significantly less talent, Ray Ray could be a bright spot on a losing team -- likely to end up like Kenny Phillips and be a late 1st rounder at best.

6'4, 215 lbs, 4.4 speed, can cover and hit. Should be a great safety in the NFL.

3. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Ray Ray Armstrong SUCKS. He has potential, but if he entered this past draft he probably wouldn't have been picked. Really, really bad through three years.

Tyler Wilson and Logan Thomas are going to give Matt Barkley a run to be the #1 QB, MB is not at that untouchable elite level.

4. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Any Hurricanes to look out for? It seems like I cant think of anyone that "good" besides Ray Ray and Henderson .

5. The GM

The GM New Member

Ray Ray Armstrong STRUGGLED*. Fixed it for you.

He absolutely would have been drafted, probably the 2nd or 3rd safety off the board. You show me a Miami defender recently who was coached up well. All of their projected 1st round picks have fallen tremendously because that coaching staff is shit.

Sean Spence. Marcus Forston. Olivier Vernon. Allen Bailey. Damien Berry. Travis Benjamin. Graig Cooper. Brandon Harris. Jacory Harris. Lamar Miller. Javarris James. Aldarius Johnson (supposed to be Andre 2.0). Brandon Washington.

All ultra-talents out of HS coming into Miami who weren't coached up and didn't progress. Most were still drafted in the mid-rounds that have entered the draft based on potential alone.

Ray Ray would not have fallen out of the 3rd based on potential alone.

He stayed for his senior season to prove he is an All-Pro caliber safety. Let's wait and see if he can do that before saying he sucks. He has the potential to be the #1 safety out of an absolutely stacked 2013 safety class.

6. EastVillager

EastVillager Member

Mathieu is overrated, in my view. He's undersized, doesn't have the speed to cover people deep and lacks elite ability to stay in phase with receivers in coverage. The guy makes plays in his Charles Woodson style role on a defense of stars but he'll be exposed at the next level. I mean, part of the reason Mathieu is in position to make so many plays is because offenses know they can't attack anyone else on that defense.

7. EastVillager

EastVillager Member

Here's an interesting name: Aaron Dobson. A physical freak of a wide receiver at 6'3, 200+ pounds and 4.4 speed. Averaged more than 25 yards per catch and possess top notch body control and overall athleticism. Definitely under the radar at Marshall. In an unrelated story, Randy Moss went to Marshall.

8. EastVillager

EastVillager Member

The Jets will be looking for safeties next year (again) and that should be a much better draft at that position that this one was. T.J. McDonald, Kenny Vacarro and Robert Lester will all draw a lot of attention, and there's a vicious hitter of a safety at Mississippi State who I think is an underclassman who's highlight videos have been making the rounds. Can't remember his name, though.

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

That one handed backhand grab wasnt so under-the-radar haha.... That was definitely one of the best catches I have ever seen... Could be THE best.

And Randy Moss going to Marshall is unrelated.

10. EastVillager

EastVillager Member

Which is exactly what I said. Just an interesting coincidence. Has there been a top flight receiver at Marshall since Moss went there?

11. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

My thing about Mathieu is that he has a definite nose for the ball, but was a lot of that his doing or was it luck? I'm not demeaning his obvious talent, but the results seem inflated at times, and overhyped.

Take the punt return vs. Arkansas: was that purely his talent or the reality that Arkansas is 9th from the bottom in punt return defense for a reason?
    http://www.cfbstats.com/2011/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category04/sort01.html
    I just watched it again, and despite punting from midfield, the kick was so bad that Mathieu had a 5 yard cushion when he caught it at the 8, then Arkansas' defense just falls on their faces everywhere.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3jLn-BfEGI

Then take the strip/recovery play against Oregon. Oregon was a very good team, no doubt, but how many times a year do you see a play like that? Once? Twice? At all? I mean come on...what are the odds that the punt returner turns his back to the defense at the 10 yard line, doesn't secure the ball, and it happens to bounce right up to the defender in full stride after the strip?

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Marcus Lattimore from SC. The kid has been a starter from day one and never looked out of place. A knee injury suffered while blocking may cause him to slip if he's eased into the season, but he is a big back that can carry the load in a power offense.

I like TJ McDonald as a FS prospect. Big rangy guy that can play very good in a deep zone but physical enough to make plays in the box.

Brandon Jenkins is a interesting project for a potential 34 olb. Even if Maybe develops into a a 3 down player we need to find at least one other starter soon. I hope we are not drafting high enough to talk about mingo.

13. Sir

Sir New Member

I'm interested in seeing what Collin Klein does this year. Should be in the Heisman race. Kid is a stud, but don't know if he will be able to play QB at the NFL level.

14. EastVillager

EastVillager Member

Agreed. It's easier to make plays on the ball when you're always around the ball because -- at least on that defense -- you wear a target on your back.

15. EastVillager

EastVillager Member

Yeah, should be interesting. Historically the Heisman voters love quarterbacks who score rushing touchdowns.

16. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

You can ask Andre Debose about covering guys deep. His size limits him when the receiver uses size to make a play, but TM7 can run with the best of them.

I cant disagree with you any more about how they can attack Mathieu, the tape speaks for itself what happens when you try to run something his way.

Your also missing the point with Mathieu, he isnt a shut down corner. But he doesnt have to be.

17. EastVillager

EastVillager Member

Read: his size limits him.

Disagree. He has good but not great speed. Looks to me like a 4.5 guy, which is substandard speed for his size.

So not being a potential shut down corner is okay for a guy talked about as being a high first rounder?

What the tape actually speaks for re: Mathieu is that with Peterson and Claiborne in the secondary he has been targeted quite a lot the last few years. He's held up pretty well, but there's a reason he's wearing that target, and that teams would much rather throw at him than at the other guys in that secondary.

He's a solid second or third round pick in my eyes who will probably be drafted much higher than his actual talent warrants.

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

I LOVE Lattimore. He would be a perfect fit for this team and offense... I am eager to see how he rebounds from his knee injury.

19. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

I agree team his size will make teams drop him on the board. I would be shocked if he fell out of the first round. You just cant coach his skill set

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

He "should" be ok. That all depends on how hard he works at rehab, but we'll see soon enough. He will most likely split some time early on and that will keep him from climbing too high up boards. I would love to see him in green and white, but I have my doubts we look at a first round RB.