Interesting "Options" on Offense this year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jjt4201, May 11, 2012.

1. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

Just imagine for a minute our offense in this formation. For me, it's been fun to think about. First the opposing D would have to figure out who would get the ball. Then they would have to figure out if it's a run or a pass. Then they have to figure out.....?

...............................Greene
    ..........................Tebow Sanchez
    Hill..................Keller.O.L.I.N.E.................Holmes

Obviously, I am not nor have I ever been an offensive coordinator. But this seems like a very difficult formation to defend assuming: A- Hill can get off the line and B- the O-line holds up in protection.

........................Greene---------->
    ......<--------Sanchez Tebow ------>
    Hill................O.L.I.N.E...Keller............Holmes
    |....................................|.................|
    |....................................--->............/
    v...................................................../
    ..................................................../...\
    .................................................V......V

#1 jjt4201, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  2. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I don't know if it would work, but if the Jets did something like that, I think Tebow would roll out to his left and in this diagram that is the right and Sanchez to his right which in this diagram is left. Since Tebow is lefty and Sanchez righty they would then be rolling out to their strong side making it easier to throw on the run.

3. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't see how anyone would get through that wall of defensive dots.

4. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

Good point I didn't think of that, but you get the idea.Of course that may change the protection too, putting Keller in the other side as an outlet.

5. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

I'm sure defensive dots will be all the rage this year!

6. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Keller on an out instead of an in, specially to Mark's strong side.
    Holmes most likely run a slant or a quicker route.. His real ability is in YAC once the ball is in his hands.
    Hill blows the top off once a game, and has his streak routes float over top of Holmes slant. This allows tebow to roll out and throw his javelin 50 yards down field. if the safeties bite.

Biggest issue IMO would be the pre-snap reads and all that. Who does that responsibility go to,. Also.. How dependable can we be snapping to the Qb in this formation, I know Mangolds an All-pro and should be able to handle it mentally.

Note: This is just a 2 WR set, Defenses would also have to strongly consider we're running it right up the gut can almost guarantee they can't cover both Holmes and Hill. Not sure if you can tell but I'm "Tebow" excited for this years offense. I think we've made some big moves and Sporano again has the potential to spit in the face of conventional offenses.

How many days till kickoff?

7. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

I fixed it to reflect the changes suggested.

8. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

it would merely require a single dot of our own
    [​IMG]

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

well these magical options better produce touchdowns or at least lengthy drives into opponents territory.....

imo the jets SHOULD be near the top of the league in TOP, 4th down conversions, and drives at least 60 yards.

it gonna all stem from drive sustaining plays utilizing tebow and hopefully a more experienced sanchez.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The Revis Dot.

11. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

It is possible in that formation for any of the three to get a direct snap and all could run in different directions which I imagine would be difficult to defend.

12. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

How amazing would this be if we had another QB that could throw and was more of a threat to run (Brad smith, RGIII, Vince Young) than Mark? In that case, the defense is literally fucked and has to play straight up. talk about a video game comming to life!

13. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

I was talking about a similar formation with a Philly fan a few years ago when they had both McNabb and Vick. My idea was that you make the lefty roll out left, the righty roll out right, perhaps after a fake so the defense doesn't know who has the ball. I found out later that you have to have someone lined up behind the center so no matter what, you have one player more to the side than the other.

There's an A11 offense predicated on the same concept that was the rage in HS football years ago, but it's not legal in the NFL and it's probably too radical for a copycat league.

14. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

Actually mark plays better when on the run so he is more than suitable. In Schitty's game plans there was no room for improv which I believe ignored sanchez's talents. If you wanna see an example of his running ability think of his game vs cleveland where he ran all over the field keeping plays alive with his legs.

15. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

I think regardless who is where, you can still direct snap the ball to the player to the side of the QB who is behind the center

16. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

It all comes to down to Sanchez or Tebow being able consistently complete medium and deep passes to the the receivers. If that is not a threat the defense will just stack the line like usual.

17. MURDR

MURDR Banned

18. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

That is essentially what I'm thinking but obviously the way it's run in those videos would definitely be illegal shifting.

19. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

You should get flagged for illegal use of the Joe Walton playbook...

[​IMG]

20. DRC™

DRC™ Active Member

looks like some HS offense lol

If we have a competent QB who can simply make his 3/5/7 step drops and put the ball in his receiver's hands, we won't need all this