Maybins Getting Fat (not really)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, May 1, 2012.

1. ROCaMOB

ROCaMOB New Member

I've been hearing that "the tide will turn" crap for 10 years now. It hasn't happened. Even when they were 5-1 last year and WNY and the idiot beat writers were on the Bills jock -- all I could think was "I can't wait for this collapse. it will be the end of any optimism in Buffalo."

Well i was wrong. You are still here. You are still drinking the kool aid. But you're still not buying tickets.

2. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

If Maybin can get back to his 6'4 252 frame then he'll be fine, Clay Matthews plays at 250 and is a beast, Maybin will be fine at 250, he just needs to keep it, which means hard work and preparation, getting a meal plan and sticking to it, lots of fat and protein and he'll be fine

Personally I could never keep 175, I kept dropping to 152, I'm pushing 160 right now, but I understand the difficulty in keeping weight and strength balanced as well as maintaining your best tool which is speed

3. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

LOL I wish I could see how angry you are in person.

I edited my last post. Every franchise has good years and bad years (the Jets certainly know this). The last decade was one of the bad times for the Bills. Certainly over the history of the franchises, the Bills have been more successful than the Jets. Better winning percentage, more division titles, more conference titles, more playoff appearances, more super bowl appearances, more playoff wins... I could go on.

If you get your rocks off talking about how good the Jets have been and bad the Bills have been, by all means, keep going. Because you look like an ass. It's similar to guaranteeing super bowls every year, and not even making the playoffs.

4. ROCaMOB

ROCaMOB New Member

Trolls don't need fact. They only need talking points their fanbase makes up to justify cutting a 22 year old first round pick after only 2 years. Just to see that kid go on to have more sacks than any player on the bills. In less games, only playing situational football. Their fans are as blind as their scouts/managment.

5. sogreedy23

sogreedy23 Member

I...I don't even know why I'm entertaining the troll..Jets were 1st in total defense in 09, third in '10 and finally 5th overall last year..Theres no where third is even possible..especially since the defense is largely intact, with slight differences (read: additions and improvements), you're absolutely right. Those Bills fans all know everything.

To the rest of the thread-its possible that his body can't maintain the weight. With the amount of conditioning, practice and muscle athletes have, its not uncommon to stay as lean as he does. With a high metabolism and a pro athlete workload, its entirely possible that his weight drops back down. Weight gain and weight loss is difficult if he's at his body's optimal weight, its called a plateau, derp. He can put weight on, will come right off with regular practice and working out. When you've got muscles like these guys do, EVERYTHING uses more calories whether you're walking, sitting, even sleeping. Muscles continue to burn calories. Sometimes its not possible to continually stuff calories into your body and just gain weight.

I love the people that have worked out and automatically know everything about everything with nutrition, human body and working out, but people that make hundreds of thousands/ millions of dollars at the college and professional levels somehow ignore. They're absolutely oblivious to it, they didn't go to school for years and years and have decades of experience; you're absolutely correct. :drunk:

We're so blessed to have these All-Pros that know everything, how lucky are we:breakdance:

6. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I doubt Maybin can keep up on 250 all year since he hasn't been able to his entire career. But I can hope. And he was effective last year, despite being even smaller than usual due to his training camp issue. Behind a better defensive line with another year in the system with hopefully a healthy training camp, I don't think it's unreasonable to think he can have another year like last year if not better.

The guy had 6 sacks and 4 forced fumbles in 13 games as a 23-year old. That's right. Aaron Maybin will be 24 years old this coming season. He's still a young player. He showed last year he can produce in the right situation.

If he can stay around 240, that would be great. Regardless, I expect him to have a good year. Wilkerson and Coples will help him as much as any Jet.

7. ROCaMOB

ROCaMOB New Member

Have I said anything about how much better the Jets are than the Bills? Other than the fact that we have been able to beat the Pats more than once this decade (which you brought up).

I actually only get my rocks by talking about how pathetic the Bills are and how shitty of a city Buffalo is.

8. Bills over Jets

How did I "make anything up?"

I am telling Jets fans about what went on with Maybin while in Buffalo. That is all stuff he said to reporters. Have you ever heard, don't kill the messenger? Anyone angry at what I said needs to take it up with Maybin, not me, because it came straight from his mouth.

Our old regime decided to take that moron in the first round, something most fans thought was stupid. If Maybin wants to go running loops around the offense 5 times a game that's fine for the Jets, but he was never going to be someone who could play every down, stop the run, get consistent pressure, even play special teams. When you're paying a guy 1st round money to play 5 plays a game, something has to go. Can't carry a guy on the roster who barely contributes.

It is certainly fine for another franchise (like the Jets) to pay him basically nothing for 5 plays and some production. Nothing wrong with that. But just like Gholston couldn't do that sitting on your bench with all of the expectations, Maybin couldn't sit on ours.

9. Bills over Jets

Do you realize you aren't making sense. If the Bills are a pathetic franchise, then what are the Jets?

Anyway, I didn't come here to get into arguments about side topics. I came to tell the history of Maybin's weight. If you want to bitch and moan and talk trash, do it to another Bills fan. I'd prefer to talk football and stay on topic.

10. ROCaMOB

ROCaMOB New Member

EXACTLY.

The Jets are paying Maybin under 2 Million dollars on a one year deal. If he comes in and gets us 7 sacks -- then we made out like bandits. If he gets pushed around and can't get the job done -- then it's a 2 million dollar risk that didn't pan out and he's off the payroll in 2013.

The Bills drafted him in the first round, not the jets. He's their bust. He's our project.

11. Bills over Jets

I completely agree.

Maybin doesnt need to add any weight to be effective as a Jet. As long as he's not making a ton of money, and being paid like a bench player who can offer some production, that's fine. But those expectations couldn't take place in Buffalo since our retard GM/Scouts decided to pick him in the first round.

12. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Exactly, you drafted him and then had no clue how to use him/get anything out of him. Maybe getting cut was the kick in the ass he needed, but I doubt it was just that, he has talent. At that size, Rex just basically treats him like a blitzer, and if he can get Maybin on a one-on-one, he'll take his chances he can beat him with his speed or relentlessness.

See? Keeping on topic is fun.

13. ROCaMOB

ROCaMOB New Member

How is this not making sense. The Bills suck. I also think the Jets are a pathetic franchise. I've been saying that for a long ass time. Not every one is a homer.

I didn't come here to talk trash. But when i see a troll strolling along -- I have to call him/it out.

Ok lets get back on track. How did it feel to watch another first round pick go on to do well in a different system for another team? Do you think this has anything to do with scouting/managment? Or is it just bad luck?

Did you realize that Aaron Maybin is better playing at 220 than Shawne Merriman is at 260 without steroids?

14. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

If it came straight from his mouth, and was all around reporters and stuff you would have an easy time finding and linking an interview or article supporting this tale of yours.

Dont worry ill wait

15. ROCaMOB

ROCaMOB New Member

We've seen pathetic with Vernon Gholston. Physical beast who just had no heart and didn't want to play. Maybin might be undersized but he has an unbelieveable motor and a hell of a work ethic. No one in Buffalo ever knocked him for that.

Maybin will never be an every down player. But I do think he has a role in this league. He def wasn't worth a first round pick. but if he can come inon passing downs and cause ocassional havoc in the backfield -- then that's a great pickup for the jets.

16. Phear

Phear New Member

You act as if it would be a stretch for the jets to have a top 3 defense.

17. Bills over Jets

I don't troll.

As I mentioned before, Maybin with the Bills was a totally different situation. Drafting a guy in the top 15, you expect him to be a starter, to rush the passer, to be a top player on your defense. Contrary to his listed weight, Maybin has stated he almost always plays at less than 220. He could never dream of being a starter for us. He was being thrown around in practice like a rag doll, by tackles who aren't even in the league anymore. He couldn't hold the point of attack in the run game, and as soon as any o-linemen got their hands on him while he rushed, they just threw him to the ground.

The Bills benched him, and even took him off special teams because he wasn't physical enough. He was getting throw around there, too. The Bills gave him one last shot after his last season was over. They told him that if he wanted to be on the team, that over the offseason he had to bulk up. He spent the entire offseason eating and lifting. He did gain some weight, but came into camp at only 230 or so. It was certainly not because of effort. The guy worked as hard as anyone. That is when he came out with all of the medical history and doctor speak about his weight. He continued to look like a high schooler in practice, and the Bills cut him.

I think if your only expectations (and financial risk) with Maybin is that he is only going to play in dime situations to rush the passer, he is great to have on the roster. The problem was, he was a first round pick that came with much greater expectations. It was embarrassing watching your stud first rounder try running loops around the offense because it was all he could do to avoid being thrown down like Tina Turner.

Imagine if Gholston went on to have moderate success somewhere where nobody gave a damn what he did and didn't pay him very much. Same thing.

Again, not sure what that has to do with anything, but how would anyone know? Merriman hasn't been on the field.

18. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that as Maybin ages, his metabolism slows down so he can maintain a higher weight haha.

19. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

well its not just aaron maybin. i was also implying that quinton coples and muhammad wilkerson contribute a decent amount. also demario davis could be of assistance

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Getting bigger means getting slower.