Coples, what does he mean?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cantwait57, Apr 29, 2012.

1. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

I happen to like the pick, great value. I have my judgments about him not moving to olb given his athletic ability and violent play. That given, at end in our 3-4 fronts and tackle in our 4-3, nickle, dime packages what does he give us? Can we expect or "anticipate" a pass rush from a non traditional pass rush position at 3-4 end? On third down it appears he'll play inside on the line where he had his most success. Please comment and discuss what he brings to this defense and how this effects our pass rush.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He gives us a 3 down 3-4 d-end. He gives us pressure up the middle. He gives the our linebackers more protection on passing downs then they were used to when our run stopping d-end DeVito was stuck out there. He basically keeps opposing offenses honest, which Rex will thrive on like he did in '09.

3. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Coples isn't just a simple 3-4 DE that will basically try to hog up some space. Coples can push the pocket and create more pressure than Devito. DeVito is a good run blocker so I expect himto be in there on obvious rushing situation. Coples won't play LB for us.

I love the Demarius Davis pick. I Read somewhere that he can be the steal of the draft. He seems like he needs a lot if work on his technique and recognizing plays and his role on those plays. Can get a little confusing for him, that's why having him sit for a year learning from Bart Scott and then filling in his shoes.

4. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

I'm honestly still kinda confused about the pick. He will be our lightest D lineman. Unless the plan is for Wilkerson to take Devito's spot and for Coples to then play on the otherside, I guess that could work. Otherwise, Coples is giving away 20 lbs to Devito. I can't see how this improves the rush defense that was already slipping last year.

I can see him coming in on 3rd downs and giving us some nice push. But while thats great if he does help on 3rd down, I don't see how that is "best player available" at the 16 pick. The only way this makes sense to me is if we are gonna have more 4 man fronts. I know Tanny and Rex said that's not the plan, but they say a lot of untruths shall we say.

5. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

Back in 2006, Trevor Pryce did have 12 sacks playing DE in Baltimore's 3-4. Just food for thought.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The run defense was slipping because we couldn't hold the edge, not because we were getting gashed up the middle. Coples is a fine run stopping d-linemen.

7. BobLivius

BobLivius New Member

Excellent pick that was high on their board. He has the physical tools to become an outstanding player. There is big upside potential once he learns the system.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Coples strength is stopping the run. He's also a good pass rusher. He's going to add a 3 down dimension to the line that was missing with only Wilkerson being good in all situations.

Now when the opponent passes on 1st and 2nd down both outside pegs will be able to apply some pressure.

9. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

We can have, at minimum for nickel packages, a 4 man line that is 6'6", 6'8", 6'5", and 6'4" with Coples, Ropati, Ellis, and Wilk. That's lots of push and lots of height to block passing lanes. Sounds pretty damn good to me.

10. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I think COple is the versatile DL who makes the engine run. I think he's eventually going to be the linchpin to Organized Chaos.

11. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

What he means is that we FINALLY have a lineman who cause chaos. With all due respect to Devito, this cat is not even remotely in the same class as Coples talent-wise. Coples is not a space eater. He can be a dominant NFL D-end who can get sacks, put constant pressure on the QB and is an excellent run defender. In terms of measurables, he is sick. He weighs 284 and has ridiculous speed.

The thing that stood out to me the most about Coples last year that I don't hear people mentioning is that he causes a lot of turnovers. He is excellent at stripping the ball after he lays the wood on an RB or QB. I understand fans being sad about not getting Ingram, but again, Coples has more talent, without question. I killed the team all last season, but I always stay objective -- this was an EXCELLENT pick. I challenge anyone to name a more talented defensive player in this draft.

12. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

When you look at the Jets last year, when they truly struggled on D it was mainly because they could not get sub packages in or did not have the base personnel to match up. This one pick allows the Jets to shorten the gap tremendously. We can now line up with base 3-4 personnel or add 3rd CB against the likes of the Pats 2 TE sets, all while adding a pass rush and not giving up anything in terms of stopping the run. Here is how I can see it; many different combinations this year that we did not have last year.

3-4 Base

LE Couples
    NT Pouha
    RE Mo
    OLB Pace
    OLB Thomas/Maybin
    ILB Scott/Davis
    ILB Harris
    CB Revis
    CB Cro
    SS Landry
    FS Kyle Wilson

Nickel

DE Couples
    DT MO
    DT Pouha
    DE Thomas/Maybin
    OLB Scott/Davis
    OLB Pace
    MLB Harris
    CB Revis
    CB Cro
    CB Wilson
    S landry

Play single high safety

13. Highbridge

Highbridge Member

You have to think of New England and it's hurry up offense. it prevents the substituting of linemen and 3 down linemen are more valuable.

14. Jets2863

Jets2863 Banned

A Jets great and distinguished brain trust
    Thought drafting a pass-rusher a must
    The Seahawks took their pick
    Then they had to think quick
    And took a likely new fat lazy bust!

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think that's exactly what the Jets were thinking about. They got stuck once with the nickel in last year against the Pats and got the ball run right down their throats on a key drive late. Another time they got stuck with Pouha, Devito and Scott on the field and Brady went no-huddle and picked them apart.

Now with Mo Wilk and Coples in the game at least the front 3 are livable in all scenarios.

I also think they were thinking about the Gronkowski/Hernandez quandary when they took Demario Davis who is going to be able to stay step for step with Hernandez and will be able to body up to Gronkowski. A LB who could cover those guys was a missing piece of the puzzle last year.

The other thing is that the Jets now have enough core guys on defense who can play either 3-4 or 4-3 that if they need to switch fronts for some reason it will not be a disaster. The 3-4 is at it's heart a run-stopping defense. The 4-3 is a pass-pressure defense. With Wilkerson, Coples and Harris the Jets have 3 mainstays who would be just as good in a 4-3 as a 3-4. Add in unknowns like Davis and Ellis who fit either way and role players like Maybin and Devito who would fit in either in their roles and you have the basis for a very flexible front 7 moving forward.

16. The_W

The_W Banned

Ummm, what?

17. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

Side note:
    Why is it that all offseason, Coples was mocked to the Jags at 7, but Jets take him at 16 and it's being lauded as a risky or not good move? Is it simply because "It's the Jets"?

18. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

you are missing a very key component of the nickel defense.

You just listed a 3-4 and a 4-3.

19. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Its a fantastic pick. Coples is the best DE in the draft. Run stopper, QB Sacker, ball blocker and a turnover machine. Rex is going to turn him into an all pro DE. Huge upgrade at the position creating lots of flexibility. A fabulous pick by Rex.

20. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Amazing pick. I have no idea why 15 teams decided to pass on him. I mean, all the things you say are completely true!