How do our three biggest holes not get addressed?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DepressedJet, Apr 29, 2012.

1. DepressedJet

DepressedJet Banned

Are you aware just how awful Vlad Ducasse is?

2. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Dude, he's not awful. He did 29 bench press reps.

3. FrankWhite

FrankWhite New Member

Did you not watch Wayne Hunter play last year?

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I was aware how awful he was two years ago. Again in the limited time we saw him this year he played okay an we have no idea of vlad skill level because this is his first full off season. If you personally want to write him off go ahead but it is not conclusive by any means that he can't turn into a starting quality right tackle

5. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Wayne Hunter is an issue without a doubt. And there are a few other pass rushers what I would have preferred over Coples. BUT, as a few have pointed out, Rex knows what he needs. At this point I have to defer to his judgement. They didn't reach for a player, they didn't trade up in the first, and they went with BPA. Overall, the draft strategy wasn't bad. As for how the players will work out, we'll know in a few years. All you people saying this was an awful draft are bitching for bitching sake.

6. DJphinfan

DJphinfan Member

He coached without one last year, a right tackle that is, he was responsible for acquiring the great Marc Columbo to play right tackle..Worst in football..not sure why he did that to his team though, it was obvious...point is he might be a good online coach, but he's a horrible judge of talent, he plays the wrong guys sometimes when there are better ones available.

7. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Just a minute ago, you said Ducasse is not strong enough to play in the NFL and that he doesn't have the talent (If you aren't strong enough to be an OG/OT, you just aren't talented), and now you think Ducasse hasn't reached his peak, meaning he has a lot of raw potential. Seriously, do u know football or are you here just make bs stuff up? You don't even have a clue who Ducasse is anyways, just pretending to know the Jets team.

Again, you don't know football. TE help for Ducasse/Hunter can be sufficient. A blocking RB will also buy more time. Sure, you won't have 6 guys running routes, but the key is to keep the D honest by using a 2-TE jumbo package or an I-Formation and taking a deep shot. It doesn't have to be complete, just the threat. U get it?

You are so smart. Great comeback! Are you still in elementary or just reached middle school?

#87 Jets n Boys, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  8. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

This times a thousand.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Sparano will simplify the blocking assignments in the new offense and that will help both Hunter and Ducasse. I am sure that's why the Jets are willing to give them both another chance. Callahan's line was famous for how complicated it was.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

How can you not love this draft? According to our HC we got 2 immediate starters and a LB who will play on passing downs. Two starters and in a passing league with the Pats in our division a LB who will cover the TE on passing downs is an unbelivable draft.

When was the last time our first 3 picks were immediate impact players? Might be the best draft since 65 when we drafted Namath, Sauer and Biggs.

11. njjet

njjet Member

Coples is an OK pick. IMO the OL was a greater need. With OG-Dave DeCastro and OT- Mat Kalil on the board, we could have substantially improved the offense. Ground and Pound starts with the OL. We missed a great opportunity. Here's hoping that Coples is the better choice.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Am I the only one that hears Eeyore's voice when he reads this OP's posts?

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Wait a second... aren't you that sad sack that was whining about your friends having girlfriends? Does this mean that if we just ignore your annoying ass, you'll get the message and exit our lives?

14. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

While I don't agree with the the OP's explanation at all, I agree with the title of the thread and where he seemed to be going with it. I think Coples will be a good player, but I think we desperately needed a pass rushing OLB and a S. Instead we get a DE and a MLB. Replacing Bart Scott is way less important that replacing Leonhard and Smith. Scott can play well in short bursts. Smith is just terrible all game long lol. I like that we addressed out #2 receiver position but we didn't replace Wayne Hunter. Hopefully, Tanny has something up his sleeve in FA because if Smith,Hunter and Maybin are starters when the season begins, then I'm sorry but the offseason was a failure.

15. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

Kalil was on the board when we picked?Or are you suggesting we should have traded up (and paid a hefty price) for a RT?

16. nyJETS0511

nyJETS0511 Banned

Vlad will do just fine in an option offense....his run blocking aint bad.........this whole draft and not addressing Oline means we will all be Tebowing by week 3,,,including sanchez

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

As a poster here who has become quite critical of the Jet FO, I am mostly positive about the draft. I think in fairness to the draft itself those who, in fairness to them, too, point out that the draft did not address all problem areas, must recognize that the Jets entered the off season with huge needs. It was impossible to address them all in a single draft. before the draft the team had limited cap space to make big moves in FA. But imo they could have really screwed up the draft, and didn't, so that passes for a huge plus when it comes to this FO.

Still, I can't be quite as positive as you, Biggs. I question whether a rookie wideout will really make big contributions from the get go - he probably won't. The Jets O has many more problems than the D, even putting aside the Qb. #2 wideout has been addressed somewhat, more in the medium to long term than the short, most likely, but it's mostly a good thing.

But there remains a huge concern at RT. I think we should all agree, and probably will, that the team's biggest need between now and opening day is to make a move there. Going into the coming season with Hunter and VD "fighting" it out to start there is a thought that makes me queasy.

The Jets still have no solid complement/change up RB for Green, no depth on the OL, a problematic fit at TE in Keller, and a combination of mediocre and aging at the two OG spots.

If in fact Hunter ends up being the starter, I frankly do not see this team scoring many more points than last year, if any.

Having said that, we can hope the D will get more of a pass rush with Coples added. I expect Pace to have a solid year, and perhaps Maybin will take it up a notch, too. I fear that the D will still be relatively vulnerable to effective TE's, but no D is perfect. The D looks ready to again be at least a top five D, barring key injuries. And I say that despite my personal prediction that E Smith will start.

The problems will mostly continue to be on the offensive side of hte ball, but those problems could not be addressed in a single draft, being of long making. I think those who are negative on this draft need to acknowledge that reality.

18. Bills over Jets

I said I would start Ducasse over Hunter. Believe me, that has nothing to do with Ducasse and everything to do with how bad Hunter is. That guy is terrible. Worst starting RT in the league last year, along with Columbo from Miami.

Have fun keeping your receiving TE in to block then. Watching Hunter and Keller try to block Mario Williams will be like watching the special olympics.

19. Jonky

Jonky Banned

WOW...Hunter was aweful last year, but so was everybody else on the OLine. His two previous years, he did pretty damn good when Woody went down. Hunter, DuCasse and they have another young guy they like are works in progress. You have no clue if Hunter has maxed his potential. You don't go to practice and you don't go to OTA's. So put the coolaid down and lets trust Rex.

20. Bills over Jets

According to your coach you are going to win the Super Bowl every year. According to your coach, every player he's asked about is great. You still believe the utter crap that comes out of his mouth?