Our Receivers for the Upcoming season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Nick, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Nick

Nick Member

After the Draft the Jets have plenty of talent at wide receiver. In fact, seems like we may have too much depth at the position.

Here is my vision of our receiving corps at the start of the season:

No. 1: Santonio Holmes (Our Given #1)
    No. 2: Stephen Hill (Tall and very fast, a great mid-second round pick, will develop into a strong vertical threat)
    No. 3: Jeremy Kerley (Showed he is a good slot receiver towards the end of the season, don't see anyone else beating him for this spot)

No. 4: Chaz Schilens OR Patrick Turner (I don't know about this one, if we picked up Schilens we must intend to use him so I assumed he would be No. 4 but has little experience. But, Turner started playing much better last season so it isn't really clear who is the No. 4 to me)

That still leaves our 7th round pick WR Jordan White. After seeing some highlights he honestly looks like he could make a big impact in the NFL (He could be No. 4). He is fast and I believe our main reason for getting him was for returns.

Either way, it is really unclear who will be playing where this season. I mean, besides Holmes, nothing is really a given. Hill could prove to be over-drafted and not live up to No. 2 status. Kerley could get benched if Schilens or Turner steps up.. many possibilities.

What does everyone think

2. Levenhagen

Levenhagen New Member

I think turner is going to step up

in the few opportunities he actually had to make a play last year, he made, really impressed me, and i think he's gonna get more chances and step up this year

on the other hand i do expect hill to truly develop into a great talent

but in the end the whole wide receiver position is still unclear with so many players, we'll se in training camp

3. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

Santonio Holmes
    Stephen Hill
    Jeremy Kerley
    Chaz Schillens
    Eron Riley
    Logan Payne
    Patrick Turner
    Jordan White
    Scotty McKnight

Braylon Edwards????

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

The 4th and 5th receivers are expected to be BIG contributors on special teams. Young, Fast, looking for a spot.

That's why you'll never see Coles coming back as the #4 or #5.

So....after Holmes, Hill, Kerley, ask yourself 'Who does Westoff want?'.

It wasn't Clowny.

5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Tannenbaum better not carry Logan Payne all season on the DL again. That was one of the most puzzling moves last season. I think it will be Holmes, Hill, Kerley and Schillens with Turner on the bubble because the new WR coach has ties to Schillens. Also it means Sanchez BFF is gone and White to the practice squad.

6. GA Jets

GA Jets New Member

Jordan White ran a 4.69 40, he is not fast, he is more of a possession receiver. Not sure if he is even fast enough to contribute on special teams, i think he is more likely a practice squader. I could see Riley or Payne making the 5th WR spot.

7. Professor Frink

Too much depth? LMFAO! There is one good receiver and a bunch of unknowns.

8. Nick

Nick Member

I should probably fix this, by depth I meant we have too many wide receivers (Not necessarily good ones)

9. There's some untapped talent in this group. We're likely set 1-3(Holmes,Hill & Kerley).Speaking of which..I would not be surprised to see Kerley end up at #2 & Hill at #3 early. No disrespect to Hill, more that Kerley was fantastic in TC last year as a rookie. He seems to be the tough competitive type & I just have a hunch that he's gonna have his say about playing opposite Holmes.

As for the #4 & 5 spots as well as 1 or 2 PS spots? Who's gonna step up & make plays with that 2nd team O as well as contribute on special teams?

10. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

Kerley is strictly a slot receiver because he's short. That means he's #3. Hill or Schillens will be 2. Either way we are pretty set at WR right now. I think what we need to do now is go out and grab a solid free agent RT and resign Leonhard (if he's healthy enough) or another veteren safety. I dont know if any of these rookies safeties we drafted will be ready to start immediately. After that we should be pretty set.

The way I see it the depth chart @ WR will look like this:

Holmes
    Hill
    Kerley
    Schillens
    Turner

With Hill's body and speed he could easily be our future #1. And he's a really solid blocker since they never pass the ball @ GT.

#10 dmarz45, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  11. Montana

Montana Member

As high as I am on Hill, I think Schillens could end up seeing just as many or more snaps than him, in year 1.

Hill's upside is absolutely enormous, and I know Rex has said they expect he'll start from day one......but I'm not sure we know if he's developed enough to be an every down WR yet.

He'll get plenty of downs when a play calls for someone to stretch the field, and he'll see time in Wildcat packages, etc.....but don't be surprised if we see an awful lot of Chaz this season.

12. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

Good post. This is part of the reason why I didn't expect a WR so early. I thought they wanted a camp compeition to flesh out a decent number 2. But apparently they will have a pretty big competition for all the spots. My guesses...

-Holmes is for better or worse here.
    -Hill, based upon being draft in round 2, is staying but may may not get much time in year one.
    -Kerley may see more time as just a Punt Returner but will survive.
    -Chaz Schillens. I'm guessing he makes the team as a nod to the WR coach and may even get some time early on before Hill develops.
    -Enron Riley. Duplicative of Schillens. Gone.
    -Patrick Turner. Has his job as blocking WR taken by hill. But still hangs on leaving everyone to wonder why?
    -Scotty McKnight. Gone.
    -Logan Payne? I don't know what the team was thinking with this guy. They have some sort of crush on him. He is probably gone though.
    -Jordan White. Gone.
    -4 or 5 other guys compete in camp. Gone.

13. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Jeremy Kerley: 5'9, 188
    Wayne Chrebet: 5'10, 188 (5'10 if he's lucky)

Kerley is one tough dude. Seriously. Remember when his helmet flew off on a punt return, and he still lowered his shoulder to try to hit someone? He's a kamikaze. This play below, I still can't believe he didn't get killed.

[YOUTUBE]S05M6gPjfsw[/YOUTUBE]

The Jets want Hill to take that job, and he probably will. On size and speed alone, he should be able to make some plays as a rookie, and Kerley is a better slot receiver. But I won't rule out Kerley. Or Schilens. That 2nd receiver slot is wide open right now. It's possible Kerley could start and shift inside on 3rd downs.

Hill has the inside track, and he should since the team has the most invested in him and he has the most upside. I expect him to win the job, but he'll have plenty of competition from within.

14. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

The infatuation with Payne was clearly a recognition that we had no deep threat last year. Hill and Schilens deal with that.

I'm not sure it matters what number you arbitrarily assign to them, but Holmes, Hill, Kerley and Schilens will be the guys who play most.

15. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

Not totally on topic but not too far off... McKnight and Keller should also get some time in the slot based upon formation shifts. We also have to see what Cumberland and Baker are too.

Could be a weak year (as usual) for Jets fanatasy receivers. A lot of mouths to feed in an offense that may leave those guys pretty hungary.

(Maybe for another post but Ganaway makes the backfield a bit crowded too with no clear number roles maybe beyond Green. And with Keller, Baker and Cumberland, the ill sized TE role is kinda crowded too).

16. Mike Westhoff Compared Kerely to Oj Mcduffie who was a fantastic #1 wr for the Phins for a long long time.I just have a hunch he steps up this TC & wins that #2 job. Hill will still get plenty of snaps but he's gonna need to have a very good TC to beat out Kerely.

17. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Kerley is not getting benched for anyone beneath him on the roster.

He's the better slot guy...the problem is our former offensive coordinator did not believe in using one.

18. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Wow, schillens actually playing never even crossed my mind. I had just assumed that he was a depth move and Braylon would be the #2

At least that's what I hope.