Jets trade up for Stephen Hill

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I loved this pick (even though we traded up).. He will instantly make Mark better, make Holmes work harder and improve our run game with his blocking. Perfect move, Mr. T.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Im not doubting his abilities I just feel like we need someone that can step in and contribute right away. That's why I wanted the jets to sign a young vet receiver. Instead it may take a year or two for Hill to become a productive NFL wide receiver.

I hope it works out to be honest.

3. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

a "young veteran" is sort of an oxymoron...anyway, whom did u have in mind?

4. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Jets should still sign Braylon Edwards.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

When the Jets announced this pick I swear I heard "FUCK. FUCK FUCK FUCK" coming from Bray's condo. I think he's out looking for a midget to punch right about now.

6. The 1985er

Patrick Crayton
    Braylon Edwards
    Mike Sims-Walker

7. GreenMachine

Crayton is old in wr terms

the other 2 are coming off injuries.

8. The 1985er

Guys get hurt, then rehab and return from injuries. We would need to bring in guys to groom to eventually start, or if any of our current receivers develop well enough. At least we have proven players already there.

9. GreenMachine

So you would rather take a chance on a rehab than draft potential?

10. The 1985er

Proven NFL talent>>unproven rookie out of college

I'm not comfortable with Hill as the number 2 receiver. I hope he proves me wrong.

11. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

What's not to like about this kid ? He's bigger, faster and stronger than most CB/DBs in the league. He's got great hands and can go vertical. On top of that, he can block.

12. SecondHandJets

We got Tebow a deep threat!

13. GreenMachine

Not if the nfl vet has not done anything in 2 years.

14. The 1985er

Hyperbole

Tannehill>>Manning since Peyton hasn't done anything in two years.

In all seriousness it may take Hill a year or two to reach his potential. Think Kenny Brit, Roddy White etc. We need a number 2 that can step into that spot and contribute significantly right now. Not in a year or two. Between our 3 or 4 young receivers at least one should emerge as a legit option as the number 2.

15. Demosthenes9

What makes you think Hill can't/won't contribute right away >?

16. The 1985er

Very rarely do second round receivers have an immediate impact on their team. I'm basing this on history. But like I said I hope he proves me wrong. I would have been happier with the pick if we had a legit number 2 eg Braylon. Then having Hill and Kerley as the 3 and 4 receivers would intrigue me.

17. Demosthenes9

Didn't many have him tagged as a late first rounder ?

Additionally, as some people say, you can't really coach size and speed, both of which Hill has. He also has great hands. And at the combine and his pro day, he did very well running the NFL route tree.

I'd happily wager that the Jets will get some good production out of him this year.

18. The 1985er

Let me use Vincent Jackson as an example. He was a big receiver that was drafted in the 2nd round by the Chargers. But he didn't play to his potential until 07. He went through his growing pains in 05 and 06. They drafted him to be their number one receiver. We're drafting Hill to start opposite of Holmes. We need some consistent productivity from our number 2 receiver, we need him to stretch the field for us. Like I said if we had a proven guy in that spot all while we groom Hill then I would like it better.

19. Demosthenes9

Obvious difference being that Jackson was drafted to be the #1.

If we played tomorrow and Hill lined up opposite of Holmes, that would immediately take pressure/coverage off of Holmes and open things up. Doesn't matter right now if Hill can only run 3 routes as he is faster, taller and stronger than just about anyone that will be covering him. Therefore, he is a threat that other teams must defend against.

If you will, just look at Denver with Demaryius Thomas and Tebow last year. DT certainly wasn't a good route runner but he had size and strength. In a number of games, defenses knew that he was the primary receiver yet they still couldn't stop him, and that was with Tebow throwing to him. He completely ate up Pittsburgh, as everyone knows. And this was without having a guy like Holmes lining up on the opposite side.

So who are teams going to put on Hill ? Their best coverage corner ? Their biggest coverage corner ? Their corner with the best vertical ? Will they have to roll a safety over the top to defend the deep ball ?

20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Better than Alshon Jeffrey? Not a knock. but a serious question. haven't much of either of them play, but the later has the proven track record, albeit not the 40 time