Rate the Coples Pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Apr 27, 2012.

?

How do you rate the Coples pick?

Poll closed May 11, 2012.
  1. Great pick! This guy is going to be a star!

15.5%
  2. Good pick, the Jets got good value at #16.

58.0%
  3. Middle of the road, could have done better but also could have done worse.

18.0%
  4. Not a good pick! What were they thinking?

5.0%
  5. Terrible Pick! This guy is going to be a bust!

3.5%
  1. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Hahaha, listen I love Hopsin but he has let me down lately, what on earth was Hop Madness? That was terrible.

Right now I fuck with odd future a lot, Earl is going to be huge in a year.

2. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

I'm middle of the road.

I initially didn't like the pick on the grounds that D Line is already pretty stacked. We have Devito and Ropati Potato (sp?) backing him up. They are costing us like $3.5 mill.

But now that the pick is in, I'm thinking Rex is planning a little change on defense. Yeah, we were never strictly 3-4 anyway. But I think this pick confirms that we are going to look somewhat different on defense this year.

Perhaps 3-4 OLBs just got too expensive. Perhaps Rex just thinks a down lineman can generate more pressure. I dunno. I still have my reservations that we didn't grab Whitney Mercilus even if they planned the change on defense.

Edit: I also think this may play into an extended role for Aaron Maybin since he fits more a a weak side LB in a 4-3 scheme.

#42 CervezaVerde, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  3. vedmedv

vedmedv Member

Draft big, drAft from the inside out, draft talent......thats all you can do, then hope the dude has some anger in him. Coples was all except
    Angry.

4. MURDR

MURDR Banned

Yeah, I didn't hate Hop Madness, but I'd prefer his political/sad/angry raps than his bragging raps.

Still, no one in FV or OFWGKTA compares to Immortal Technique or Canibus, IMO.

Also, surprised no one grilled me or called me a homer for suggesting we use the 46 Bear defense exclusively :)

We already have the dominating NT we need (Pouha), the hard-hitting safety we need (Leonard), decent, but not great coverage LBs we need (Thomas is okay, Pace can cover good enough for now), a smart, run-stopping LB we need (Harris), and CBs capable of playing (and striving) in man coverage (Revis, Cro, and Wilson when he DOESN'T play inside).

If we sign a veteran DT, our starting line could be Devito, Coples, Pouha, veteran DT, and Wilkerson.

And I actually screwed up a few names on accident when describing the 46. The $ (safety..the one who makes the adjustment in 3+ WR sets) is supposed to be the strong side 5 technique, and the J (Jack...Linebacker) is supposed to be one of the weak side LB.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I'll rate the pick after he plays his first game.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The point is to get your initial reaction. Obviously his performance will change opinions.

7. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Eh I'm not sure about Immortal, I just think you haven't listened to enough good odd future and maybe getting caught up in songs like radical and sandwitches.

Anyway, a 46 defense is interesting but who would be able to play deep safety? And also aren't 46 defenses know for being weak against TEs? With our weak linebacking core that wpupd concern me.

8. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

I will tell you how many jelly beans are in that jar if you tell me how many jelly beans are in that jar.

9. MURDR

MURDR Banned

Deep safety just needs to have moderate speed (doesn't need to be EXTREMELY fast, but still kinda fast) and be able to hit hard. Jim Leonard can do both. With deep safety, your sole responsibility is to not allow anything to go past 20 yards, and knock out WRs who try and get a deep slant on him (he lines up 23-25 yards back). The only time he ever has any actual man-on-man coverage is in 4 WR sets (TE) and 5 WR sets (5th WR), so he wouldn't be asked to do a lot of extremely hard coverages.

And on 4 and 5 WR sets, he'd obviously cheat up like 10-12 yards. In 4 WR sets, you could also do cover 3 with 3 under, so Leonard wouldn't even have a man coverage responsibility.

Honestly, this defense DOES give the passing game some room, but it prevents the deep pass (something we've had trouble with, despite our good pass defense).

I'd rather give up a bit of passing game, shut down the running game and prevent the deep pass than be mediocre in all of them.

I mean, obviously you have to change it up, but I think we could definitely confuse teams by doing the 46 with 5-2 personnel (IF we get a veteran DT, 4-3 if not), and have the option of shifting into a 5-2 or 4-3 (depending on if we get that veteran DT or not) when needed. I think Tommie Harris would be the perfect fit.

10. MURDR

MURDR Banned

If it was a 2 WR set, the $ (safety playing on the line...Landry) would get the TE, if it was 3+ WRs, the DS (Leonard) would cheat up and get the TE, so we'd always have one of the safeties covering the TE, NEVER a LB.

11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

good value, a risky pick but we need to take risks to win, I would much ratehr have a potential star pass rusher than a good guard (which was really our only other option)

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

the west coast offense exposed the 46.thats why nobody uses it anymore.the short passes kill it.today if you hit gronkowski on a short pass againsta 46 d he would carry tacklers another 5-6 yards before they got him down.i cant imagine what brady,breees,or rodgers would do against it

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The Jets have been using the 46 since Rex arrived, just not as a base defense.

14. MURDR

MURDR Banned

Yeah, but no team has seen it as a base defense in like 25 years, so it would definitely cause some confusion. Plus, the pass coverage isn't THAT bad. You can still run cover 2 and cover 3 with the 46. I dunno, I just think it could work well still as a base defense. Many will disagree, but if you have the right players, the right system, and the right man to teach it (obviously we have a member of the Ryan family), any scheme can work.

EDIT: Plus, like I said, we'd always make sure to have a safety instead of a LB covering the TE. Landry is pretty strong and very fast and can hit hard, so I think he could contain Gronk in this scheme.
    I know he has, I just think that we could use it as a base.

#54 MURDR, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I absolutely love this pick. If this guy came out last year he was a top 5 pick. He had a rough senior year which hurt his value.

16. endydee

endydee Active Member

Dude is a potential stud. The Jets lucked out that he lasted until #16.

17. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Solid pick with a huge upside. he has the potential to be a game changer.

18. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

I rate this pick an B+. I like it.

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

After year one ...

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Good pick. I see Coples career going very much along the same path as Shaun Ellis. A very solid pro for a long time. Anything more than that and it's all gravy.