1st Round - Quinton Coples

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

No way will they get away with another "oh, give him a few more years" like the shit they tried to pull with Gholsten. This guy had better play this year and play well or you will have seen the last Tannenbaum draft. Even Wilkerson played last year. No more fucking excuses.

2. GATA

GATA Member

HAHAHA I did the same thing I put Fitzpatrick up there too

3. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

I see great things from this pick. The jets need a true athlete with size and strength and they got one. In that highlights video he is absolutely vicious. Great pick.

4. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

would you please post a link where this info is coming from because it's some fantasy link, i'm betting. coples is a 3-4 defensive end and far from being the best pass rusher coming out of college or anywhere else.

5. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

although only being slightly over 6ft 1 inch, he has amazing speed and power. agility wise is the most complete outside linebacker in the draft.

coples may or may not be a quality defensive lineman, but there are holes on the squad that could have been filled better than that selection. dline has plenty of depth, jets could have had their offensive tackle, outside linebacker or reciever with that pick.

water under the dam now but i still don't like that the pundits picked coples as the most likely to bust! there were enough warning signs out there to pick a safer player at a position of need/oline.

6. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

straight line speed and stopping turning the hipps are completely different players. coples can't turn the hipps like a linebacker needs to, which is ingram in a nutshell. ingram is by far the better athlete and position of need.

when you get right down to it, rief (tackle) was still on the board and should have been the pick.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I really hate the t-rex arms on ingram. Can see him getting swallowed up by a lot of NFL tackles.

8. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I like the answers from Rex in the conference call.

1. He will push the pocket fro the left side with his hand in the dirt
    2. He worked him in the LB drills to try and tire him out but couldn't
    3. Coples , Wilk and Pouha/Ellis will push the pocket back to the OLBs

Plus Tanny got a glowing recommendation from Wilk who played with Coples.

Not to mention there is still a ton of talent on the board in the 2nd. We will get our OLB, OT, or WR this round.

9. Jonky

Jonky Banned

WOW...Coples is faster, taller and stronger than Ingram. Has long arms and knows how to disengage from blocks (which Ingram hasn't a clue how to do). Ingram will never be the player some people fantasize about. Coples has the skills to be ELITE.

10. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

is this the kind of name calling that gets a person banned. if i said that i would have been. why is it ok for certain people and not for others?

11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I think the interesting thing here is how well prepared the Jets were for round 1

They knew Coples was their guy by all accounts. Every mock I've read had Coples going in the top 13, out of the Jets' reach.

They didn't panic and trade up. They scouted the shit out of this guy and knew he would fall to them.

If they felt this strongly about this player, my gut says he will perform.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The next time you complain about how things are moderated here you WILL be banned. This is your second warning on this behavior which is more than generous.

If you have a problem with a post, use the report option or PM a mod. We don't always see every post on here.

13. Jonky

Jonky Banned

I'm expecting to see Coples do to Brady what Mo Lewis did to Bledsoe. Can't wait for the Mallett era to be forced onto the Cheatriots!

14. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

At first I felt nothing. I didn't really see the guys name associated with the Jets pick and didn't know anything about him. But after watching some highlights and other BS, I kind of like the pick. I don't see the Ellis comparison. Maybe I always see big cat as a 300lb'r DT, where this guy looks more Peppers (tall/athletic DE). So he'll play DE (3-4 & 4-3 sets). He looks like a beast. Hopefully either Mo or Quint will draw doubles and free up Maybin. I kind of like it now.

I hate that the super bowl pats just got 2 highly regarded Def picks. hopefully stupid teams will stop overpaying their free agents.

I hope we go OLB in the 2nd and WR/OL in the 3rd. I think with us going to this ground/pound thing more often, i'm not as worried with Hunter/Vlad in running schemes than I am in passing.

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

^ That. And this guy is NOT Gholston.

Gholston had one (allegedly) good year, but really was Mike Mamula with Melanin. And all Gholston was looking for was to get Rich..Once he did...He was only concerned with staying healthy to enjoy it.

You'll notice Gholston isnt even TRYING to play, any longer.

And for all the post draft talk about NE moving up to get Jones, They were not concerned enough to get ahead of the Jets.....Coples is the better pick, Jones may turn out to be Jason Taylor...and he Might not.

Coples OTOH, is a freakish specimen with Monster tattooed on his forehead...

16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Wilkerson,Ellis, Coples,Maybin....

Rex is finally building something here. Now, if Sparano can work the magic that made Chad Henne look serviceable, with an actual Talent, like Sanchez, Holmes, Kerley and Greene....

This team could be 'Some Kind of Monster' (thanks Metallica)

17. SanityRemoved

SanityRemoved New Member

For me the Coples pick was anti-climatic. Then the first thing to catch the eye in the cons was the low motor, taking plays off bit and that didn't help my mindset.

I think we have way too much money in Sanchez and Tebow to have let Reiff or DeCastro slip past. When Rex talked about going back to ground and pound I didn't think he was describing what defenses were going to do to Hunter.

18. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

he does not have the fliudity (hip turn) to play olinebacker and never played that position to begin with. outside backer he is not!

a great one? he could equally be a bust!

you guarantee? LOL ok rex, or is it belichick or??? your guarantee is worth spit. lets hope the guy is half the player rex hopes he is, but there have been no revis, harris type picks since rex has been on board.

i'll bet rex has had a lot of say when it comes to the draft, sanchez, wilk, ellis and now coples aren't exactly making me feel all warm and fuzzy right about now. me thinks rex should stick to being a defensive coach and stay out of evaluating talent!

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

This kid better be really good or Woody needs to clean house, this is ridiculous.

I'm not necessarily not against Coples, it does scare me with his reports of laziness, but the writing is on the wall again where by Tannenbaum ignores the offensive line.

Its obvious Tannenbaum is letting Rex have too much say in the draft process. Of Course REX wants Defense, OF Course Rex is going to fall in love with these guys every single year. The best GMs will listen to their coaches, but in the end have a freakin spine and make decisions as to what is best for the team.

I'm sick and tired of having a good defense and a pathetic offense every year, then ignoring whole positions on offense in the draft - its a joke.

Look at the Steelers, great defensive team - Hightower would have been a great fit for that team. I'm sure they had similar debates in the war room and that many on the staff wanted Hightower. But in the end their brass was smart and did the right thing and drafted DeCastro a great O lineman for a freakin decade!! This is why they win, they take players like this.

Just watch this weekend, the next couple rounds will go something like this:

2nd round : a Safety that Rex loves
    3rd round : a mediocre TE.. hell maybe a RB

then were looking at 5,6,7 rounds for offensive line- who knows maybe they ignore it again, but even if they don't they will get someone who is reallly raw.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

So the Jets went BPA with there first round pick and it means they're ignoring the o-line?

I am not happy with the current state of the o-line and hope it is addressed somehow but it seems like you're jumping off a bridge here.

BTW, the Jets have spent far more picks on offense since Rex has arrived than on defense.