1st Round - Quinton Coples

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Apr 26, 2012.

1. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

I thought the Jets should've went Reiff or Decastro but I like the pick.
    Coples was a monster for UNC and Rex had to see something positive to take him over other prospects

2. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I'm not overly upset with the pick. I like that he's shown signs of Julius Peppers when he actually gets up to play, but hate the "motor" factor. That seems to be his knock.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/quinton-coples?id=2532818

I think to call him The Ghost 2.0 is a bit ridiculous. Gholston right off the bat on tape looked stiff as shit and ran linear. Coples actually looks like he will have an impact right off the bat in our scheme.

I'm going to reserve judgement until the Draft completely unfolds before I call this a shitty pick.

3. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

I differ from others on my opinion but I dont think he is strictly a 3-4 DE, I think we will be running more 4-3 fronts, especially against the Pats. He can play outside IMO, while hes not exactly the most athletic, he can be very effective rushing on 3rd downs.

I think we will be looking to get Upshaw as well, so we can have as many options as possible in our front 7.

4. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Watch the press conference on newyorkjets.com, Rex talks about that. I think Coples will be moved all over but probably not that often as a linebacker.

5. Klecko10

Klecko10 Member

Care to comment on how poorly the jets have drafted under Rex Ryan?

By the way, yes, this could be his last year. "I think I lost the pulse of the locker room". Isn't that what he said? He should be fired for just that and the disgraceful circus that followed. That's his number 1 job, to lead the whole team. Also his defense has gotten worse every year. Not to mention the litany of embarrassments during his time on and off the field. Tripping players, DUIs, sexually harassing reporters, swearing at fans, boasting about how great we are and then losing 45-3. And let's be honest, this team has not been elite one season. 9-7, 11-5 and 8-8. Manning mailing it in allowing us to get into the playoffs in 2009.

So, yeah if we go 6-10 this year he could get fired. Hope it doesn't happen.

6. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

So where does Coples fit in the game plan overall? (I'm not sure if he's polished or a project.) How many snaps a game can he play at OLB?

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What Rex says is that Coples will play LDE and slide inside to DT on obvious passing downs. He says that Coples will not be asked to play OLB initially.

8. Klecko10

Klecko10 Member

There's nothing to call out. You can say you like the pick and I can say I don't. We can differ and that's fine. I can differ with you again when you suggest Rex has the answers, when I believe Rex doesn't draft well, and so I don't have a lot of faith in him in this instance. Hoping Wilkerson will grow but I wasn't impressed with that pick either. The Kenrick Ellis pick wasn't too hot either but hopefully he gets better this year and contributes. I don't like the pick but hopefully coples will be good. I was hoping for an olb or an offensive lineman in the 1st.

9. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

The guy just has a knack for collapsing the pocket from the inside. He plays violently and pushes the pocket incredibly well. Taking a look at some of his highlights again, he looks a lot more natural rushing over the guard or center than he does trying to motor around a tackle. I do really buy into his drop in production last year being due to a mix of him moving to a new position while that whole program was a shit show. I'm pretty excited about the pick.

Oh, and anyone yelling "Gholston 2.0!!!!1111!!1!":

a) clearly has no idea what they're talking about, and
    b) deserve to be taken out back and given the Old Yeller treatment.

They're dissimilar players in dissimilar situations. There's nothing wrong with disliking the pick (although I'll strongly disagree), but don't be a retard about it.

10. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

I think initially he will be moving all around our front 7, most of his reps coming at 3-4 DE and 4-3 DE/DT BUT eventually he can be used as an OLB, not sure how long that will take but I think he has a chance to play there for sure.

Right now, he is a project, but a great one. He's the type of kid who has a tremendous ceiling but bust potential. But look at it this way, if you're selecting a boom or bust defensive prospect, who better to mold him than Rex Ryan?

All I can guarantee is our pass rush will be much improved next year.

#190 JohnnyThaJet, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  11. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

Doubt he ever, EVER plays OLB, he's at his best rushing up the middle which is where Rex were utilize him, he's gonna eat Guards and Centers at the next level

12. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

Don't follow this link it means nothing to you!!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/...orst-nfl-teams-in-drafting-collegiate-talent/

13. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I'm not too worried about his motor, he comes from a sporting family. His older brother, Fred, is a great golfer.

14. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Wilkerson looks great and Ellis was a third round pick and expected project?

We rolled the dice on Sanchez and the jury is still out but everything else has been pretty solid.

15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Having had a small amount of sleep to think about the 1st round this is what I think:

- initially a bit "whoa" I am now warming to the idea - everyone and his dog thought we were taking Upshaw even a few days ago - Upshaw is now a 2nd round player. Coples is a difference maker (potentially) in a different league to every other defensive lineman available at 16;

- he is a risky pick but fuck it - nothing ventured nothing gained and without an elite QB we need difference makers on defense in a way that teams like the pats, packers, giants, steelers, do not

- everyone (myself included) obsesses a bit over what the Pats do - if the Pats had taken Couples the board would be freaking out with fear and the pundits would be riding Belli's jock saying "if there is anyone that can motivate this kid its Bellia nd the patriot way!!11111???" - they took Hightower who looks great but did not fill a position of real need (compared to others) for us and Jones who was a 2nd or even a 3rd round projection a few weeks ago - always be wary of players suddenly rocketing up the board

- clearly a number of teams had issues with Ingram physically - you can potentially coach Coples to play hard, you cant coach Ingram to change his physical make-up

- "Tanny fails - why didnt he trade the pick and get more picks!!!11111" - err who was he going to trade it to? the only team that made a move to trade up to anywhere near where we picked was the Patriots and they werent going to trade with us and vice versa. After the Pats the next pick to get traded was #29. So there were clearly no offers from anyone to move to #16.

- Are there players I wuld have preferred to have seen taken? Yes, I would have preferred Rieff but that is the only one still available that I would have been happier to see.

- Calling Coples VG2 or anything similar is just lazy.

#195 JetsUK, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  16. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Whoooo Coples was All-ACC? That's like winning a race in the Special Olympics. The ACC is a Basketball conference. Everyone defending this pick probably defended the Gholston pick which had the SAME red flags as did this pick.

I hope he works out, but Tanny has the same skill at drafting players as I do picking winning lottery numbers. Far and few in between.

17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Oh, FFS. Quit with the Gholston shit.

This was a good pick. We've now got a run-stopping D-line with 3 players in their early-twenties.

I'm just not sure what the plan is for Brady and the pass-happy brigade.

18. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

Ferguson, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Keller, Wilson, Wilkerson are all great picks

Hell, Kerley, Slauson, Ellis all solid picks

If the Jets had an Elite QB I think we'd be in a better situation to be honest, I like Mark but when you lack an Elite QB, you tend to have more holes than you think

19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

gholston's main problem was he was a physical freak with no football skills, which isnt the same issue as Coples potentially has at all.

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He is 6'6" and 284...He is perfect at DE but I don['t think he will ever be able to play OLB.