1st Round - Quinton Coples

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Apr 26, 2012.

1. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

I'm going to make this short, just like Coples Jet career. Should have taken Ingram. This loser will have no positive impact.

2. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Ingram is not a prototypical outside pass rusher either, people need to realize that. He is a nice prospect but he has his own concerns. The other player I would have considered is DeCastro. The Jets went with the top player on their board and that's all you ask for from a front office.

I am really pleased with the focus on the defensive front the past two drafts and expect a new LB by the end of the weekend.

3. NCJet312

NCJet312 New Member

I'm a season ticket holder with UNC, so naturally I'm ecstatic with this pick. He's NOT a 4-3 DE. His best season was at DT during his junior season. When he moved back outside as a senior, he struggled. I think he can be perfect as a 3-4 DE. I put no credence into the "lack of effort" comments. He didn't play his hardest at all times last year, but no one on UNC's team did. They were emotionally exhausted and were playing for an obvious lame duck coach. The Jets got a top 5-10 talent at 16, without giving anything up. The dude can play and will be great for the Jets.

4. AirStrike

AirStrike Member

They drafted him to play 3-4 defensive end? What the.....that's not where your pass rush comes from but ok?

5. Klecko10

Klecko10 Member

You guys are cowards for crucifying other Jets fans that don't agree with our team's moves. We can still be fans and disagree with the moves the management makes. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Fact is this is Rex Ryan's 4th draft as a head coach and so far I'm not impressed. Doesn't make me less of a fan, I just think he sucks when it comes to the draft. In my opinion under his watch the Jets haven't drafted a single player that's really good. Nothing better than mediocre and so far that includes Sanchez.

Meanwhile under his predecessor's watch, they drafted Mangold, Ferguson, Brad Smith, Revis, David Harris, Leon Washington, Keller etc. Not saying he was a better coach, but chose far better draft picks.

I'll always be a Jets fan, and would gladly be proven wrong, but right now I think this is going to be Rex's last year. Hope I'm wrong.

6. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

Last year we got a top 15 talent in Wilkerson at 30, a 1st Round talent in Ellis in the 3rd and now a top 5 talent in Coples at 16

Its hard to find great 3-4 D-Line personnel when it's there you take it

I got more faith in our staff then the experts on TGG to get bothered over this pick, its not like we picked Bruce Irvin in the 1st :rofl2:

7. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Picking Coples makes me think that Chandler Jones was the pick if Coples was gone, and it makes me think the Jets were hoping to move down in case Jones, Coples, Ingram, or McClellin lasted.

Coples is absurdly gifted physically, like Jones, except unlike Jones, he's been productive on the college level. His work ethic is more questionable, but that UNC program as a whole has just been an utter mess.

8. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

So Rex has been the coach for 3 years. No losing seasons, 2 arc championship game appearances, and you think this is his last year as a coach.

Okay then.

9. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

Coples will help generate pressure inside pushing the QB back helping our OLB get to the QB

There was not an Aldon Smith, Terrell Suggs or DeMarcus Ware available, but there are developmental guys late in the draft(Donte Paige-Moss) I can see Rex taking

The guys have learned their lesson taking a DE in college and thinking he can just come in and stand up, Rex said for most it takes a few years, so why not grab a guy late(Donte Paige-Moss) and develop him while getting a legit 3-4 DE while the value is there

10. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

I think we're just calling out guys who are calling him a bust without him taking 1 snap, guys dont understand or know what Rex wants to do but I'm excited everytime a QB steps into the pocket we got 4 guys who can swallow him(thats what she said) at any time, you win in the trenches ask the Giants

11. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I can't believe the short memories on some of this fan base. Do any of you remember Aaron Maybin??? He was a bust too, wasn't he? Rex and Pettine made a player out of him and they'll do the same with Coples.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You can get 9 or 10 sacks out of a 3-4 DE playing over the guard, just like you can get 9 or 10 sacks out of a 4-3 DT playing over the guard. That''s good pressure.

Mark Anderson and Andre Carter both had 10 sacks last year playing DE in the Patriots front 3-4 and 4-3.

13. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Thanks for the awesome analysis. Sounds like you really did your homework. :up:

14. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

So I guess the Jets hyped up every OLB except for the one they were interested in drafting.

15. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

He's a DE and thats how the draft goes, I was in awe but did my HW and now I'm excited

16. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

To me this is just Rex building his defense to fit his scheme. Judging by his and Tanny's MoWilk pick last year and now this, Rex is looking for big stout DEs to hold the line, absorb blockers, push the pocket and let guys like Maybin and Pace get after the QB. This is what Pouha does well, what hopefully MoWilk will improve at, he looked solid last year - which was good enough - and hopefully what Coples will do, at 6-6 285 with a ridiculous 31.5 in vertical, which will allow him to batt down tons of passes.

Remember, Rex generates pressure by scheme, lets see what this kid has got.

I'm in until it does not work.

17. Br4d

There was no question at any point in the process that Rex was really fascinated by Coples. He went down to work him out at the pro day and then had him come up to NY.

I was really worried the Jets were going to trade up for him, maybe as high as 7 or so.

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

Whats confusing is that they put him through OLB drills and now he’s a 3-4 DE? Maybe Rex will move him all over?... Im still unclear on this whole situation...

19. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

I was hoping for Reiff or DeCastro but I can't argue with the pick. I'm just happy that they didn't trade up or do anything crazy.

Hopefully they'll still address OL as well as OLB before this is all over...

20. Br4d

It was his pro day. Putting him through OLB drills served two purposes: first, it let Rex see what the possibilities there were, second, it got widely reported as Rex working him out as a LB, which was a great smokescreen if the Jets really wanted him at LDE.

My guess is that he's going to pass rush from inside, over the center and right guard, on pass rush downs. I also think there's a pretty good chance he gets some real pressure from outside between the right tackle and right guard, although probably not many sacks. The sacks will come inside.