Steven Jackson on trading block,Per NFLN

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KurtTheJetsFan, Apr 25, 2012.

1. NFL Network just reported that Jackson is on the block as the Rams want to cut bait.

I think he'd be a perfect player for the Jets.And I think this could happen.

*I have no inside sources or any idea of either team's inner workings

Jackson upgrades the running game as an experienced veteran with playoff experience without sacrificing the power element Greene brings.He can also protect the QB & make catches out of the backfield. Now Jackson isn't good for 20+ carries a game anymore..but splitting time with Greene as well as the Tebow packages would give the Jets a very talented power running game.

Jets were seen meeting with the Rams & Schottenheimer at the combine. Maybe they were discussing this type of deal, & maybe they weren't. But this has Mike Tannenbaum written all over it much like the Sanchez deal via Mangini/Cleveland. There's gotta be some spare parts Schotty likes for installing his system that can be packaged with a mid round pick,no?

Hypothetical: Mcknight & a 5th rounder for Jackson. Would you sign up for that? Do you think the teams would?

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think McKnight should stay, see if they want Wayne Hunter and Powell and some draft picks - the Rams O-line isn't exactly superb.

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

They would want more than McKnight and a fifth.

This guy never did it for me. He never quite got over the average runner plateau for my liking and he also is always hurt.

4. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Not necessarily-- they don't/can't anticipate to compete in 2012 so money may be the major motivation.

P.S. I'd much, much, much prefer trading for Jackson than trading up for Richardson.

EDIT: Another highway robbery scenario (a la Mangini). Hunter, Eric Smith, and a 5th rounder to Schotty's new team. Too bad they have a competent coach (Fisher) who probably won't give away Jackson for some bottle-caps and a pie.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Steven Jackson will be 29 years old next year. He has more than 2,000 carries in the NFL. He's worth about a 4th round pick. Anything more than that is begging for trouble.

6. laxin

laxin Active Member

He has by far the most carries in the NFL... and he wants a new contract.

Something like over 2500 touches. Thats crazy for a RB, especially one that is always hurt.

Im all for upgrading the RB position, but I want someone who is young and is going to be here a while, not another stop gap player.

Also, Schotty never played McKnight on offense so why would he want him? He was one of our best playmakers and maybe averaged 1 snap on offense per game.

7. I can buy the injury argument. He's a power runner by nature & easily any defense's #1 target in that Rams putrid O. Which means he gets beat up pretty good.

I like him to split carries with Greene. The less carries, better surrounding cast, & change of scenery is what we'd need to bank on.

As for him as a player? Big time power runner. Has been a top 10 back when healthy for a long time. He can run inside, outside, pick up blitzes and catch the football out of the backfield. He has playoff experience & will come with a chip on his shoulder.

8. Agreed. I'd even say a 4th rounder is slightly high. He's not a long term replacement..he'd be a similar transaction to that of the Thomas Jones trade.

9. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I could see this being like the Thomas Jones situation. He would come here and be an immediate impact and very productive, then fall off the map as soon as we unloaded him.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets got him for a 5th nobody would argue the value in the deal. We've paid more than that recently for our reclaims though. Jenkins was 3rd and 5th and Braylon was 3rd and 5th. Holmes was a different case because his issues were mental not performance/physical.

11. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

We could def. get him for a 4th. I'm down.

12. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

I like this. A strong veteran to split with Greene. Not a high asking price (I assume). If we really want to get back the ground and pound, a deal for Steven Jackson makes a lot of sense.

13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. Guy's always hurt.

14. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Why bother trading for him? I don't want that 7 mil per year contract. I'd just wait until they cut him and then sign him.

15. Christian

Christian Active Member

I can see how it would be a really really good move for the Jets to take on an injury prone running back with a high salary since the team has loads of cap room and doesn't need depth or anything in the draft with the picks that would be used to aquire him in a trade. Tannenbaum would be insane not to trade for him really. He would be the steal of the off season without a doubt.

16. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Too bad we don't have a 4th rd pick to give

17. Christian

Christian Active Member

Sure they do, I'm pretty sure they're free to give up next year's 4th on this future hall of fame running back that will clearly fix the troubles we were having on offense last year.

18. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

I don't like this at all. Jackson is in really bad shape. The Rams have been bad for the past few years and they have relied heavily on Jackson working him to the bone. So IMO even though Jackson is 29 he has had some tough tough carries and some bad hits due to the Ram's shitty offensive line. The average age of a good RB reaching the end of his NFL carrier is 30 so we'd get maybe 1 good year out of him and that's if he can stay healthy all season.

I would keep McKnight over Jackson.

Now, Chris Johnson is more interesting to me. Would have to figure out his motivation issues, but he's only 26 and he can freakin run.

#18 Pluvrr, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  19. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

How is he always hurt ? He's missed 2 games the last 3 years. He's still a beast of a RB even at now at 29.

20. nyJETS0511

nyJETS0511 Banned

might as well ask me to put a helmet on............im 44 5'7" 235lbs and i l like beer