17a New Stadium Tour - PSL's, NEW STADIUM STUFF GO HERE

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by 17a_tailgater, Feb 8, 2009.

1. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

1969.........and many NYJETS fans will probably drop dead of a heart attack the day they win again including me.

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I was at home on Christmas Leave in Linden, NJ and watched that game on my Dad's back porch.

I had been in the US Army as a volunteer paratrooper for almost 2 years, jumping out of perfectly good C-130s with the 82nd Airborne Division down at Ft. Bragg, NC. So now I had my orders for Vietnam, but they gave me this 30-day Leave before I had to report to Newark Airport via Travis AFB and then on to Republic of Vietnam.

So I'm home on that Sunday sleeping at my Mom and Dad's house and we get up to watch SB III. And my Uncle Jim calls up from Baltimore and he's a big Colts fan, of course. And he's ribbing my Dad becasue of the point spread and of course, the Jets are the dogs.

So he says to my Dad, "Okay Bob, how many points do you want?" and my Dad says, "None! Joe Willie says we're going to beat you outright!" And I'm thinking, shit, he could have gotten points out of him but whatever...

So my Uncle laughs and they make a bet over the phone and I'll be damed if we don't win it. So then my Dad gets back on the phone and gives Uncle Jim
    a real ribbing after the game.

4 days later I'm at Newark Airport in my dress greens heading for the RVN. But the whole time I was over there I was remembering that game and in the fall I was wondering how my Jets were doing, so I knew I was hooked but good.

I get home with a Combat Infantryman's Badge and the Bronze Star and found out those things and $20 will get you a Jets ticket, so I started going to games over at Shea in the early '70s. Was there when OJ Simpson went over 2,000 yards.

Then an old couple I knew was moving to FL and I knew he had Jets tickets, so I asked him what he was going to do with them since he's moving and he says, "I'll transfer them over to you if you want." So he did in 1985 and I've been going ever since.

But I'll never forget that back porch and me and my old man rooting for the Jets that Sunday. I wasn't the same guy when I came home as I was back then, but it's still a nice memory of my early Jets days. My kids have grown up going to the games with me but nowadays they're kind of busy with little ones of their own. But in several more years the grandkinds will be old enough to appreaciate the games, so maybe I'll start by breaking them in to a Giants Preseason or something to get them hooked.

My UD seats are in my son's name now... was able to do that when all the relocation took place, so the family is set now for the next generation if they want to use them.

#13822 Section 227. Row 5, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  3. stuartfl

stuartfl Member

Thank you for your service.

4. Section 227. Row 5

Thanks for the thanks, and "now you know the rest of the story" as to why I'm such a cranky stubborn old Upper Deck pain in the ass.

5. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

Great story and Thank You.............:beer:

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I do not wish to burst your bubble but our next SB win is yeeeeeeaaaaars in the future & here are the reasons

Sanchez lacks the innate ability to make snap decisions nor does he have the quick release need to put the ball somewhere once he made that snap decision. Neither of those things is coachable

Tebow you must certainly remember how Belly & Co shut him down in the PO game last season. Last I looked we play the Pats twice each year so I would not hold out much hope for him.

Our future at QB lies in a future draft which U can hope we are more successful then every QB drafted named other then JWN

:sad:

#13826 championjets69, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  7. Section 227. Row 5

I am with you on El Guapo.

On Tebow, he's only 24 and I'm hoping he can get some basic mechanics working. I think he has, BTW, what you say Sanchez lacks. The only thing with him is his basic mechanical functions need a lot of work. If he can become a better pure passer, the you have a Michael Vick on your hands and a very good, formidable, unpredictable athlete who could be very difficult to defend against.

This is what I'm hoping for. Whether that can play out is up to Tebow and not something we know the answer to.

8. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I thought you were serious at first reading your post, just like I thought Pesce was. You are as scary as he is Mother FFer

9. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I would feel the same way. Hell, 32 years and not even a Champuonship home game. All 4 have been on the road. Really, the only time we had a bye and played home was the Jacksonville win, if we had Denver at home that next week, we are in the Bowl. I gotta admit, after the Steelers loss 2 years ago, I don't think I am ever going to see us win the Bowl, I feel like I am an old time Cub fan. Sucks but its how I feel

10. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

That was a great story. Glad you made out alive to tell it, I wish I could say I am glad you made out alive to see them win all those other Super Bowls. I also wish for world peace, the Lottery and we live forever. As a yankee fan, I felt bad for the Cub fans, as a Jet fan, I feel bad for myself.

#13830 sec314, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  11. J1 tailgate

J1 tailgate Member

Re 314

It's funny, having grown up in the Bronx, I always felt a little guilty being a Yankee fan in a bully sort of way. But being a lifelong rangers and jets fan, things have a way of evening out. In a weird way i seem to enjoy the suffering more.

227, great story and thank you for your service.

12. championjets69

My son says that all the time & he is only 41 years old. :sad:

13. championjets69

Well concerning Timmy if Elway who knows a thing or 3 about QBing dumped him to pay a 36 year old man 100M then Timmy's mechanics are not fixable :sad:

14. rgoltsch

rgoltsch New Member

Thanks for sharing. And thanks for your service.

15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

227 good stuff,,thanks for sharing :beer:

16. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

So the only thing Tebow lacks is how to throw a simple 10 yard out pass, and everthing else from the time the ball is snapped until he releases it. You know, the stuff you learn when you are 10 years old. If he figures that out, he should be great. Are you 2 guy serious???. If you think Sanchez is that bad, well I hope you are wrong, you better be or we are doomed. But Tebow as our only hope. Now that's funny. We have a better chance Woody campaining for Obama or me banging his trophy wife. JC better not being throwing the ball expcet in week 1 & 2 in August.

17. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

agreed not a fan of tebow on the team!! people will want him in even when we are winning games it will be very bad!! If we can trade tebow now for a 3rd or 4th i would do it asap!

18. Section 227. Row 5

You act like we're calling for Tebow to be Sanchez' immediate replacement. I am saying I'm glad he's here because there's a chance Sanchez stinks up the field again and if he does (and Tebow can develop) I'll be glad he's here. And if they both stink up the field then, yes, we're fucking doomed.

And what's up with all the religious hatrid of Tebow, calling him JC and "a religious freak." Let me be clear, I'm not religious guy at all, but nor do I knock this kid for his beliefs and for being public about them. I could care less what he believes in as long as it doesn't affect me. He could be a devout muslim for all I care. BFD.

But the NY Yankees fans yesterday were way out of line booing him. I think their behavior was totally rude and disgusting. The kid is sitting in the ball park wearing a Yankees cap and he gets booed and I suspect it's just because he's religious. Typical NY boorish, assholish, small-minded behavior. People who live in their own little self-centered, cacoonish, NYC world and have never been west of the Hudson. They should travel the country and get TF away from the city once in a while and broaden their perspectives.

So I thnk Tebow will be battling this miopic thinking here as well. A lack of respect (and even outright hatrid) just because he's a little over-the-top religious. Again, I haven't been to church in ages, but even a non-participating organized religion guy like me knows enough to separate what he might possible do for us on the football field from what he does on Sunday mornings. Who gives a shit what he wants to believe in?

19. championjets69

Ah the impossible dream. What you posted is straight from the NYJ propaganda factory t& what you are espousing is exactly what Woody wants you think over acquiring Tebow. Coming from U I am really shocked that you would parcel out the NYJ party line

BTW just about everything I heard about Tim is he to does not the innate ability to make a that snap decision & has maybe the slowest delivery in the league :sad:

20. Section 227. Row 5

I'm not espousing the party line as much as I am espousing wishful thinking. The NY Jets can spin their shit any way they want to and I don't necessarily pay any of it much attention. Come on, you know me better than that.

I'm just HOPING that the kid can develop into a better pure-passer than he is. Who wouldn't like to see that? Even if we trade him, I still wish him well and hope he develops. I just don't get all the Tebow hating. Don't know what the reason is for it. People are freaking out over this guy coming here, like he intentionally asked to be traded here so he could dump on the Almighty Annointed One.

Man oh man... people need to chill out over this guy and juet let the season open up and go. We don't know anything until we see what our O looks like. Hey, I'll be the first one to say "don't fix it if it ain't broke" if we are winning games. Tebow can jolly-well sit on the sidelines putting mustard on Sanchez' hot dogs.