Gronk vs Revis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CONN-JET.2.0.3., Mar 28, 2012.

1. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

I know that this link is right there on the feed but I might as well just make the thread...

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/11541/revis-calls-belichick-a-jerk

That interview was awesome. Soo much tension I was loving it. Probably the best off season segment I've seen so far. I love how Revis only barely tries to act nice towards Gronk.

Pretty nice rip on Sanch by Gronk too I must admit.

2. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yeah unfortunately that was a solid word association by Gronk

3. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

I loved how they said gonkle and expected Darelle to know it ment Rob's ankle. I live on the internet and I've never heard of his injury being called 'the gronkle'. DA FUCCKK

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Funny shit. I'd actually like to see Revis cover Gronk this year. I think Revis is physical enough to hang.

5. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Id rather see Landry lay him out.

6. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

Do you guys think Revis could conceivably cover Gronk one-on-one for a whole game? I would think that he's the only corner in the game that could do it based his physical nature of play.

7. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

No, because it would be a waste of Darelle's talent.

Like 'Revis is your Daddy' says, let Landry keep contain on him and drop licks when the ball comes out.

8. Jets83

Jets83 Banned

Gronk is exactley what his nickname suggests a fat headed moronic Gronk! He's such a dope!!

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

why?he is very much worthy of revis' attention.if cro would jam welker at the line the 2 biggest threats would be covered

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

6'6" 265 lbs and good hands is hard for anybody to cover well. Revis wouldn't be able to redirect him the way he does with WR's. I think the way you cover somebody like Gronkowski is either with a quick linebacker or a tall safety. Even then you're just going to make him into an average receiver. It's going to take 2 or 3 people to shut him down, starting with a DE probably chucking him at the line of scrimmage.

11. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I think our best bet would be to get Bernard Pollard, the Patriots dream killer. Not only does he take out Brady, Welker gets hurt running from him, and he also took out Gronk. Guy's a beast :wink:

Realistically you hit it spot on. The other option is to get pressure so he has to stay into to chip and it delays his route. He isn't a good route runner, he is just big,physical, and has good hands.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

No, but I think as a FS, Revis would shut down any Gronk pass longer than 10 yards while also calling the defense.

13. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

So you think revis should play FS ? I don't know if hip/head rotation skills will translate to that position.

14. abyzmul

Please don't tell me you're questioning the mechanics of the best defensive player in the league. Hip/head rotation? That's something you should be more concerned with about a corner or a coverage linebacker, not a safety. They play the backfield of the defense, head forward, hips squared with the QB until the audibles are called and the motions are sent.

If Revis had to come up to the LOS to play his man as a safety, he's got the best mechanics of any safety in the league to do it.

What do I think? I think he's be a far better asset to the defense as a safety, calling the signals. But since he's signed to an exorbitant cornerback contract, it precludes him financially from accepting that type of a position change.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'm sure he could cover him, but he would probably get beat up on when the pats ran the ball.

16. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

They wouldn't have him in the box at all

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Gronkowski is a Polish....were you really expecting 'brilliant' comebacks????? Dude is a chunk of granite that can catch a perfectly thrown lump of pigskin full or compressed air.

18. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

but gronkowski is 6'6" shouldn't he be able to jump over revis like the chargers' receivers were supposed to

19. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

You don't seem to understand. A good corner back has the ability to transition from having his back to the ball to turning around and making a play AKA hips and head, the spinning of the body without breaking stride. Revis is the best in NFL history at making this move, thus why he is able to shadow the fastest and strongest WO's in the NFL.

While I think Darelle could play safety if he wanted, he is so good at corner that it would be a waste to move him a position where his agility and dexterity goes to waste.

20. abyzmul

The best Free Safeties in the league have that type of agility. They also have a set of football instincts, game IQ and ability to study film that most players don't have.

My question is, as agile and dexterous as Revis is, do you want his football IQ, film study and killer instinct to go to waste at a position that is easy to eliminate from the field by teams that don't pay half their cap room to a wide receiver? Because there are far more teams that can ignore Revis as a defender than there are that would be crippled by him in his role at CB.