Ingram has very small arms

Discussion in 'Draft' started by hazmat, Mar 28, 2012.

1. hazmat

hazmat New Member

@Kevin_Weidl
    Melvin Ingram checks in with an arm length under 30 inches (29 7/8). 4 year average for DEs (33 5/8) + OLBs (32 1/2) to put in perspective

2. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Its why he NEEDS to be a 3-4 OLB and why if a 4-3 team like JAX takes him, it won't make any sense. Ingram doesn't have the push ability to succeed with his hands down.

Its a big mistake if Gene Smith picks him unless they convert...but its a mistake he will be doing IMO.

3. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I don't really see him working out as a 3-4 OLB either. He has a small frame and small arms. I'm almost at the point where I see him as more of a 4-3 linebacker.

I can't see him setting the edge against the run in a 3-4. I know people love him but I don't see him working in the Jets defense where stopping the run is always the priority.

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I really try not to put too much stock in numbers like these, but at the same time those are some realllllly short arms lol. Dude is 6'2 with 29 inch arms, waaaat?

5. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Everyone is obsessed with him because he's a good athlete. Did he ever beat tackles one on one in college? They had him rushing against guards for a reason. This guy against NFL tackles is going to be funny to watch.

6. duncc5

duncc5 Member

Damn. I know you're not supposed to over-analyze these numbers, but I'm 5'11 175 lbs and my arms are longer than that.

7. Rex likes guys w/ long arms..both Ingram & Upshaw have short arms. Hmm..

8. duncc5

duncc5 Member

In other news, Andre Branch's arms have been measured at about 34"..... a 4+ inch difference is NOT insignificant.

9. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Upshaw's arms a 32". 2 1/2" longer then Ingram. That's a huge difference.

10. REVISion

True, but I really haven't been impressed with the film of Branch that I've seen.

Upshaw's arms are plenty long enough...

11. LetsGoJets11

LetsGoJets11 New Member

And Upshaw's stock is going DOWN. I love the guy, but I'm not sure anymore.

12. MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla New Member

It's more like people are moving up and Upshaw is staying where he's at. He's pushed back his workouts twice, while everyone else is running 4.5s and jumping 40 inch verticals.

What he does tomorrow will paint a better picture, although his tape can't be ignored...

13. REVISion

I still really like Upshaw, would love it if we took him at 16. Tape trumps all, and this guy has some sick tape. He never gets moved out of position, has violent hands, good burst to catch the QB/RB, can set the edge, etc. He's the most complete 3-4 OLB in the draft (and that's no knock on his passrushing because it's pretty good) and could be a 3 down starter for us from day one. Drafting him makes too much sense.

People get too crazy here thinking that seeing anything other than the next coming of Jason Pierre Paul is unacceptable for an OLB.

#13 REVISion, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  14. duncc5

duncc5 Member

I think there are some concerns about the lack of attention he may have received because of the overall strength of Bama's D. The tape is hard to ignore, but guys like Branch and Ingram were the main focus of defenses every week... whereas coaches preparing for Bama had a slew of NFL talent to gameplan against.

15. duncc5

duncc5 Member

I'm not saying that Branch and Ingram are better prospects because of this... but the tape doesn't necessarily tell the whole story 100% of the time.

16. MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla New Member

I don't think that's a great example with those two specific players.

Ingram has played on the same line with Devin Taylor, Cliff Matthews, and freshman phenom Jadaveon Clowney over the past 2 seasons. Andre Branch has played with DaQuan Bowers, Jarvis Jenkins, Brandon Thompson, and budding star Malliciah Goodman in the past 2 years.

17. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

dont tell my wife that please.....

18. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Now where looking at the greatness of players by there arm lengths ?

This is pretty fucking stupid.

19. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Not entirely, but its pretty fucking stupid to discount the fact that will would be facing an average of about a 4 inch reach disadvantage against NFL tackles and much more so against so of the bigger guys.

20. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member