Tim Tebow: An efficient scorer among the Elites.

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by whichfan, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

Apparently, the Pats, Bills, and Chiefs managed to figure out your hero just fine. In case you're unaware of this minor fact, the Bills and Pats play in the AFCE with the Jets, so if Tebow actually becomes the Jets starter, he'll have to face those two teams twice each year.

You can make all the lame-assed arguments you want for Tebow, but he's not going to be successful as a full-time starting NFL QB unless he improves his passing game. Otherwise, he's simply a gimmick WC QB.

2. whichfan

whichfan New Member

Perhaps you're not noticing, but Tebow's already an efficient passer. Aside from completion % he's more efficient than most NFL passing QB's.

There's nothing lame or ghimmicky about a QB's ability to score touchdowns and not turnover the ball.

And it is more important than a completion %, whether or not you want to accept that.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Oh my god this is sig material.

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I think you can kick FG in the NFL. Moving the ball and creating field position is a decidely good thing all by itself. Denver didn't exactly score an above average amount of points in spite of Tebow's low turnover to TD ratio.

There's nothing good about punting out of your own end of the field series after series something that a team with an accurate QB rarely does.

5. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

I didn't bother reading everything. I applaud the effort you put in this, but - I think this once again proves Tebow can be a great situational player. The problem with this is that Tebow and all the Tebow followers believe he should be a starter, or, translate his short term/situational success into long term success which is neither realistic or fair. IF, and this is a major IF (probably not likely because its inevitable he will be a starter at some point) we really could utilize Tebow as a SITUATIONAL player, then we really could create a unique offense. It would be very difficult for defenses to prepare for Sanchez and Tebow, in some right its sort of like having a Vick combo.

6. whichfan

whichfan New Member

Just out of curiosity do you believe a quarterback who averages a 60% completion % but average 1-2 interceptions per game is better than a 50% passer that averages less than 1?

I seriously hope not.

7. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

:lol: :lol: :lol:

8. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Why are we assuming that a first year , 24 year old, starter won't improve?

Especially one with a track record like Tebow's , of NEVER having a losing record as a starter at any level.

9. LetsGoJets11

LetsGoJets11 New Member

Tebow throws about 10-15 times a game. Sanchez throws 30-35 times a game. Int percentage: tebow: 2.5
    Sanchini: 3.3
    A .8 difference isn't much. Especially not when Sanchez throws a lot more.

10. abyzmul

Okay, since you're bent on manipulating stats to make Tebow look like a good quarterback, and since you thankfully finally addressed completion percentage, let's look at it a different way.

58.7 MIA
    65.7 BUF
    76.5 DEN
    61.1 BAL
    65.9 NYG

Those are Tom Brady's final 5 completion percentages, the QB of a team that appeared in the Super Bowl, even though they lost BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH.

Ahem.

Next we look at Mark Sanchez's final 5 completion percentages during a much-maligned end of season slump that IMO was caused by an injury.

59.4 WASH
    61.9 KC
    57.7 PHI
    50.8 NYG
    65.6 MIA

Now let's look at Tim Tebow's final 5 completion percentages as he 'led' the Broncos to a division championship and a playoff win over a Steelers team that had a crippled quarterback.

50.0 NE
    44.8 BUF
    27.3 KC
    47.6 PIT
    34.6 NE

There's really no comparison. The guy is not a QB. He's a utility player.

11. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Enough said. The sooner people realize this, the sooner Tebow and the rest of the world realizes this, the better the JETS will be.

12. whichfan

whichfan New Member

In the NFL, it's huge. It's the difference between winning and losing. It amazes me how many people have an issue with percentages.

It doesn't matter how many times one throws. It's an efficiency ratio. It's a percentage. Just because you increase the attempts it doesn't necessarily mean the ratio will increase as well.

Tom Brady can throw 20 times a game or 45 times, he still roughly averages only 2.5% over his entire career.

3.3% means 3.3 interceptions every 100 attempts. If Sanchez averages 30 attempts per game, he's basically good for one interception a game. If Tebow throws for 30 it doesn't mean he's going to throw an interception. He averages more like 1 in 40 attempts. Not even the most pass happy offenses throw 40 times a game religiously, which in Tebow's case means he's going to be able to string together a number of games without throwing interceptions. Considering just how big an impact turnovers have on football games, where usually 1 turnover is all another team needs to win, it's easy to see why "all he does is win". Same reason Rodgers and Brady win. They depend on their opponent to make the stupid throw.

The difference in attempts however, will probably always be lower for Tebow, because as a dual rush/pass quarterback, when a play breaks down, he'd rather take off for 5.4 yards per carry instead of throwing a stupid throw or dump off for short yardage or a loss. He's got the option of NOT throwing the football, which a lot of quarterbacks have an issue with and usually make stupid passes.

Hence the difference.

#92 whichfan, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  13. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

I laughed.

[YOUTUBE]BvJAq52woZM[/YOUTUBE]

14. whichfan

whichfan New Member

So basically you wanna look at completion % as if it's some kind of ultimate measurement for a QB, which is laughable, and you decided to hand pick the games. Why pick the last 5 games? What about Brady's last 2 playoffs games versus Tebow's?

And why not compare rushing numbers?

I'm actually using complete career stats. Not portions. Not selective. But what each quarterback achieved over their careers in terms of scoring efficiency and turnovers, both rushing and passing.

That's like me saying, hey let's just conveniently look at Brady's last 2 playoff games.

Tom Brady:
    49 77 attempts 515 yards 63% 6.69 yards per attempt 2TD 3 Interceptions 3 sacks 74.3 QB Passer Rating.
    Rushing:
    6 carries 2 yards 0.3 yards per carry 1 touchdown 0 fumbles

Tim Tebow:
    Passing:
    19 47 attempts 40.4% 452yards 9.6 yards per attempts 2TD's 0 Ints 5 sacks 90.0 QB Rating
    Rushing:
    15 carries 63 yards 4.2 yards per carry 1 touchdown 1 fumble

So he can complete passes. Who gives a crap if he throws more touchdowns than interceptions and can't rush worth a damn. Clearly Tom Brady can't compete, and should stop playing QB. He was figured out in his last 2 games and should just give it up...

PS: And what about Mark's 2011 Playoff stats? I couldn't find them....

#94 whichfan, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  15. abyzmul

LMFAO that was awesome.

16. abyzmul

No, you're not using 'complete career stats', as I pointed out earlier in this thread, you're omitting stats in order to make Tebow look more like a real QB, it's a weak study.

17. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

By saying this you are implying Tebow only runs when a pass play breaks down? Just because he averages 5.4 doesn't mean he gets 5.4 when a play breaks down. You have to take into a fact that Tebow has a lot of running plays dialed up for him that mess with that average. Therefore I think when he decides to scramble when he can't throw a pass, it will probably be less than 5.4. Oh also factor in sacks take away from passing yards and not rushing yards and Tebow's sacks will probably come when he tries to scramble after a passing play, you are misusing a statistic very badly.

18. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

How can you possibly consider a NFL QB who has the worst completion percentage in the NFL an "effcient" passer?????????

19. LetsGoJets11

LetsGoJets11 New Member

So Sanchez and Tebow both having 6 red zone rushing TD's means Tebow scores a LOT more? Oh, the irony. And on third and ten, 5.4 yards means fourth down. Your point stands feeble. But nice try.

20. LetsGoJets11

LetsGoJets11 New Member

This is the best analysis I've seen.