Perhaps it's about time...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Jesus F'ing Christ.....

I really hope that you are representative of most Jet's fans because if you are, things might just suck around here.

"Oh no, a gimmicky offense". WTF do you think the PAP was when it was introduced ? It was a GIMMICK.

WTF do you think the motion offense of Hank Shram was >? Yeah, it was a GIMMICK.

WTF do you think Landry's shotgun was ? Yeah, it was a GIMMICK.

Fucking grow a pair of balls and support your damned team of GTFO.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's no point in jumping off the Jets bandwagon until they win a Super Bowl. They'll just drag you back on again at some point.

I spent a lot of the mid-90's sleeping through games on my couch and asking myself why I bothered turning on the TV at all before doing so.

The minute the Jets win a Super Bowl I'm probably outta here, just like I was with the Rangers after they won the Stanley Cup but short of that I'm just going to get dragged back in anyway so there's no point in leaving.

3. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

I love the running game (maybe because I grew up on Martin and a run to pass offense) Testaverdie was a passer, no doubt. Probably, the best QB for your passing attack I have ever witnessed as a Jets fan, but we only had him for a couple of seasons and the one comeback win. Pennington made it work with his dink and dunk passes and a fabulous ball fake. He killed people with his fakes.

Sanchez probably started to early. He could have used a vet qb to work under and schotty was just not a man who knew how to adjust to help disguise our weaknesses.

I think Sanchez has tremendous abilities and I am certain he can lead us to a championship. We have to be able to protect him and God willing Tebow will never see the field. That said, I think Tebow brings a lot, a lot of value to this team. We got so far away from being a disciplined football team last year and I believe Tebow is a leader that will help motivate our team. Tebow is going to give you all he has every opportunity. That's great competition. The kid wins, he is a winner, he has always won this all he knows is winning. I like that on my team. I believe when he has opportunities (5-10 a game) he will shine.

You like the passing game so you should maybe be a pats fan or denver fan or new orleans or green bay or even a giants fan. We are a running team. That is our coaches mantra, that is this teams plan. This is where we are heading. We run the football to pass the football. We run you over and then we run you over again. We knock you in the mouth and keep pounding it up the gut, suck you in and then burn you on your flanks. Finally, when we have beat the shit out of you over and over and over we fake and we catch you off guard for the home-run. It may be, "simple minded football" but it's Jets football and this is how we pave the road to Lombardi. Get on board or move the fuck along.

Ground 'n pound!

4. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Welcome to the Internet and Gang Green and possibly the NFL.

ENJOY!!!!!

But, the Wild Cat Offense has also been around for a while under different names - It's nothing revolutionary - It's the Crap you try to pull off when you have no faith in your #1 QB....

5. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

Yes please jump off the bandwagon then. If you even consider rooting for another team, then you're not a true fan...for better or worse ... GTFOH!!!!! Wish some of these Tebow dickriders would jump off witcha

6. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

IF Ground And Pound was a reality here I'm open to it.....

But, IMO the OL isn't Smash Mouth enough and our RB's leave something to be desired...

Last year's Ground and Pound was a joke.

If we added a top RT and some OL depth and maybe a Michael Bush or Tolbert I'd say WOW - Lets see this Ground and Pound in effect....

hey, I hope we do and can smash people this season - I'm not sold though given what the Jets added.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Believing this is the year doesn't take loyalty it takes optimism. Realizing you’re doomed and sticking with it takes loyalty.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Now that's a Jets fan.

9. Demosthenes9

Silly me. Here I am thinking that teams should do all the can to try and win, when I really should be worrying about being extra sure to show faith to my #1 QB.

Tell me, is it a lack of faith to pull the QB out and kick a FG when it's 4th and 4 from the 18 yard line ??

For some silly reason, if a coach says "Fark it" and goes for it, and gets stuffed, people get all pissed off and say that he should have put points on the board. You know, do what it takes to win.

But no, not with you I guess. Uh uh, no sir. Instead, the coach should worry about hurting the #1's feelings and always go for it on 4th down.

Hell, that's an idea, cut the punter and open up the roster spot for someone else!!! Capital idea. I mean, can't hurt the #1's feelings. Gotta show some faith.

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? comparing sound football strategy and putting up points, as opposed to driving the ball 80 yards with the WC? seriously, do you know anything about football? Jet Blue has been a very good poster here and if you would have read through some of his pasts post you would understand what his point was.

Lighten up Francis!

11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

For anyone who is thinking about leaving the Jets bandwagon over last season or the Tebow trade, GTFO we don't need you.

Since Parcells rebooted the franchise it has been very easy to be a Jets fan over the last 15 years. Sure there have been disappointments and we have watched the Giants win SBs while our team was eliminated but recent history has had the Jets with many winning seasons. Most of these years we went in the season thinking our team had a serious chance of winning the Superbowl.

Those of who have been through the Rich Kotite, Pete Carroll, Bruce Coslet, Joe Walton, Walt Michaels, and before have seen what adversity is really all about. During this stretch, making the playoffs was a minor miracle. Earning the #1 overall pick in back to back years, the collapse after the clock game, the team drafting guys like Dave Cadigan; that is what adversity is made of.

Go root for the Giants, plenty of room on that bandwagon.

12. Demosthenes9

Yes, I do know something about football.

Stop and think about the logic. Talking about "oh, Wildcat doesn't show faith in the #1 QB". Why ? Because you don't think he can get those yards, so you put in a package that can.

Kicking a FG and punting do the exact same thing. You are saying that you don't have faith in your #1 to get the yards needed for a first down, so instead, you will either kick a FG to get 3 points instead of 7, or, you will kick the ball away to the other team, and play the field position game.

The thing is, people readily accept the wisdom of kicking on 4th and they don't see it as a lack of faith, even though it really is.

My point is that you should view the WC the same way. For the most part, it'll be short yardage type of thing.

Even if they put it in for an entire drive, there's a purpose to it. Maybe Sanchez threw a pick and got down on himself again. Sitting on the bench moping and shit. Like that does a lot of good.

Maybe if he looks out and sees someone else driving the team down the field, it'll piss him off, stoke his fire, and he'll go up to Rex and say "Fucking put me back out there !".

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

There is a huge difference between playing the percentages on third or 4th down and abandoning a pro style O for a gimmick.

14. GATA

GATA Member

We shouldn't even put being a Jets fan and bandwagon in the same sentence. Last time we won the SB was 1969 and the last time we went to the sb was the same year.
    Unless you suddenly became a fan due to the Tebow we shouldn't even mention the word bandwagon. It takes loyalty as Mr. Biggs said.

15. Airplane Green

Airplane Green New Member

If we get to the Superbowl and/or win it all. I would love to hear what you gotta say.

16. Demosthenes9

Tthe only difference is that one has been done for so long that it's accepted and taken for granted.

Just for kicks, you call kicking "playing the percentages" while the WC is "abandoning a pro style O for a gimmick".

If that gimmick results in more first downs or greater efficiency in the red zone, then guess what ? It would be "playing the percentages". You know, doing what gives you a better chance of succeeding/scoring.

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

In the Red Zone Sanchez had 21TD's passing and 3 INT's along with 6 rushing TD's. Tebow had 6 Passing TD's with 2 INT's and 6 rushing TD's same amount as Sanchez on way more attempts. I don't get what this guy brings to the table? Sanchez had as many red zone rushing TD's on less attempts.

18. LetsGoJets11

LetsGoJets11 New Member

There's a lot to hop on the bandwagon for. 28 wins in three years and a top 10 defense every year in that period. A quarterback with GQ looks, the best CB in the NFL. Think about it.

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

This deserves some further explication.

If a fan really thinks that his team is going to have a great season, and encounters another fan who disagrees, for the first fan to upbraid the second by claiming the second has insufficient loyalty to the team is ass backwards. I will return to this point below.

Alternatively, a fan might believe that loyalty REQUIRES an optimistic perspective.

But that is merely a different form of error. If one truly believes that being a fan requires that one look at everything in optimistic terms, that is really saying you are putting aside your own ability to analyze prospects going forward in a truthful, objective manner, and replacing it with an unknowing and reflexive position of optimism. For such people an absence of optimism is evidence of lack of being a fan. Which sometimes comes out as saying "you are not a real fan" or "you are not a good fan" since an unreasoning optimism is deemed essential to the definition of a good fan.

Alternatively, if a given fan in fact has come to their own assessment, and found reason to be optimistic, compared to one who by his own analysis has come to a more pessimistic assessment, then it is not loyalty that divides the two. To the contrary the optimist who really believes he is right is not having his loyalty tested by the team he follows. It is easy for an optimist to be loyal. He has no reason not to be.

As a result, we can discount here most accusations of disloyalty. They typically come from those who in effect require blind optimism as a condition of fandom, which of course is simpleminded, or have come to optimism on their own, in which case their loyalty is not being tested.

What such people are really complaining about is that others have a different point of view, and either they don't like seeing others come to different conclusions, perhaps because they want to remain comfortable in their optimistic view, and perhaps the false assumptions and assessments that view is based upon, or have no patience with fans who very well might be too pessimistic. But lack of patience in such a context is a form of selfishness, and shows a lack of concern for fellow fans of your team.

If another fan of the team you follow is in your view too pessimstic, it is merely being a good fellow member of the community to point out the error of his ways, rather than just condemning that person in general terms as being disloyal. Indicative statements of this latter point of view, such as "don't let the door hit you on the way out", or "you're not a real fan if you feel that way", are not the hallmarks of good fellowship. To the contrary they show poor reasoning combined with bad manners.

By comparison the good fan, the fan who wants to share fellowship with fellow fans, will have patience with them when their views differ. Is that not, after all, the purpose of discussions on a sports message board?

This forum is not here merely for self absorbed expressions of fan loyalty. Posting here is not a contest of who can best express blind homerism better than anyone else. It is not even merely informational. Discussion has its place, and discussion means understanding different opinions, comparing them to information we have, and perhaps reexamining our own views, and even changing them.

Participating in that sort of process, at least as far as a message board is concerned, is what makes a good fan, someone who in effect looks out for other fans, and helps them reason things out. A bad fan is too dismissive of concerns of other fans. A bad fan seems not to care when he encounters another fan who is having problems with his understanding.

Try to be a good fan, and show some patience.

20. Demosthenes9

I have to think that the Jet's coaches believe that they can use Tebow more effectively than Denver did.

As I think that Fox/McCoy are terrible coaches and that McCoy shouldn't be calling plays in peewee league, let alone, the NFL, I'm guessing that the Jet's coaches are right.

:)