Tim Tebow: An efficient scorer among the Elites.

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by whichfan, Mar 26, 2012.

1. whichfan

whichfan New Member

I've been meaning to do this for some time and finally got around to putting it all together this weekend. There really isn't a whole lot to say as the numbers will speak for themselves but I suppose I can explain it a little bit and give you my two cents. It's most for you guys to look over and draw your own conclusion.

In football like in any other sport winning eventually comes down to possessions and scoring points. While Tebow's passing has been criticized to no end, the part that's rarely talked about is his ability to score touchdowns efficiently and protect the football. It was already obvious to me his efficiency was a big part of his success, which is no different than the way he dominated in college, but trying to put it all together took a little bit of work to say the least. Without putting his rushing and passing statistics together, as well as everybody else's numbers, it was hard to determine exactly just where he stands. I wanted to see how he stacks up in terms of scoring efficiency with the rest of the NFL, in arguably, the two most important categories: touchdowns and turnovers.

Below you will find a chart that encompasses most of the active quarterbacks from last season as well as a couple that may not get a chance to start this year such as Donovan Mcnabb. I also included Peyton Manning.

Although I also have it broke down by regular season, post season and 2011, in this chart I decided to do career stats, combined regular season and post season numbers included both rushing and passing touchdowns, as well as total turnovers, interceptions and all LOST fumbles responsible by the quarterbacks. To save space I've included all fumbles as part of the rushing fumbles. You will find interception efficiency, touchdown efficiency, as well as overall touchdowns to turnover efficiency ratings.

In short, it's a TOTAL scoring efficiency/ TOTAL turnovers analysis and ranking. The overall ranking is straightforward, and is based on the quarterback's combined rankings in the 3 main categories this chart focuses on: turnover efficiency, touchdown efficiency and touchdown/turnover ratios(production). Each placement was added up for a total value standing across the 3 stats. I decided not to place any weights on any of the categories and present them as is.

I think you will be surprised by some of the results.
    [​IMG]

Note: The averages at the bottom of each category gives you a good idea of where a quarterback is supposed to be.

Notice that some of the samples sizes are small for some of the newcomers, including Tebow, but as a rule of thumb ~600 plays is typically a full season for the average QB, depending on the offense they play in. It's generally a good enough amount to begin paying attention and an indicator of things to come.

It turns out Tebow has been pretty efficient dating back to 2010 since starting in the NFL in the categories that matter most. While I can't say I didn't expect that part, not even I expected him to fair so well across the board, considering the competition. In terms of scoring and protecting the football only Aaron Rodgers and Jake Locker fair better while Tom Brady is basically neck in neck. Jake Locker's stats are pretty much perfect as he has yet to turn over the ball in the NFL but they are also far too small a sample. However, since his 5 touchdown and 0 turnover performance is a pretty impressive start for a rookie I figured I'd leave him at the top.

Tebow's also in the top 5 in passing interception % as well as passing touchdowns % and touchdowns to turnovers ratio. Perhaps what's more surprising than Tebow, is some of the other so called "elite veterans" who appear to turn over the ball just as often as they score.

Cam Newton, also appears to be an efficient scoring machine, no small thanks in part to his rushing touchdown record breaking year. It appears dual rushing quarterbacks are not going to go anywhere any time soon although they may be getting far less credit than they deserve. When you add it all up, what they do with their legs is nothing to scoff at and tends to more than make up for what other quarterbacks may do with their arms.

While this isn't going to stop most people from arguing about Tebow's passing abilities and whether or not he is a good passer, that is clearly also not stopping Tebow for working his way to the very top of the charts among the elites as as a scorer and ball handler. He may not move the ball through the air up and down the field like some people expect, but when he does make plays, they often go for touchdowns.

EDIT: Updated with 2011 Season Stats:

[​IMG]

PS: I apologize for any errors since I did most of this manually myself pulling the numbers by hand one by one from NFL.com. I did double check the numbers, but mistakes do happen, so this is by no means a bible. I do have the 2011, regular season as well as post season stats put together as well, but this chart alone took roughly half a day to put together so I'm ready for a break. However if you are interested in seeing it re-sorted or-re-ranked by a different category, that's much easier to do.

#1 whichfan, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

How many throwing shoulder stingers did Tebow suffer during the 2011 season?

Also, aside from Locker (most efficient QB in the league!!!! lol), Ponder, Yates and Painter, Tebow has the fewest attempts.

#2 abyzmul, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  3. pinktacoyum

pinktacoyum Banned

STFU already bra

4. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

Another fucking Tebow thread by a noobie, yeah creative. We understand you like the guy. Sheeesh. It's gonna be a long year

5. abyzmul

Not ever for a bunch of fanboys pretending to love football.

6. reverseapachemaster

Adjust these numbers for strength of schedule -- as played by the QB -- during 2011 and we might have some useful analysis.

7. NJGREEN

NJGREEN New Member

Imagine when Tebow plays his first game, the server is gonna crash....

8. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I want Jake Locker! TRADE FOR THAT BEAST!

9. kubernetes

kubernetes New Member

The numbers are good, but remember that Tebow really just has a full year of games under his belt. That's too small a sample size to extrapolate out as indicative of his career potential. Even Cam Newton is too early in his career to mark him as a future elite QB--both could have had outstanding debuts that end up being outliers in otherwise unremarkable careers.

10. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Tim Tebow: A ______ among _______

Tim Tebow: A bad Christian excited about David Hasselhoff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

When you run an offense that pulls people way up close to the line of scrimmage and then throw the deep ball a lot off of that you get numbers like that.

The Jets ran an offense that pulled people up close to the line of scrimmage but they had nobody to get open deep and the pass protection was suspect anyway.

On this team last year Tim Tebow probably would have put together one of the worst statistical lines in NFL history.

12. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

I doubt it and I say it objectively.

This was Denver's team (a bad team by any measure, real bad).

7-24 WORST TEAM IN THE NFL IN 31 GAMES BEFORE TEBOW (DENVER BRONCOS )

2-8 2009 (last 10 games of season)

4-12 2010

1-4 2011 (first 5 games of season with Von miller and everyone else)

7-4<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Tebow in as QB 2011 NO OTHER PLAYER CHANGE

Playoff win +1

also here is his production for his 16 starts (and he played in 7 other games for a few plays)

(includes 2 post season starts)
    Total Yards: 3835
    Passing : 2885
    Rushing: 950
    Total TDs : 32
    Interceptions: 9
    Fumbles lost: 7
    Completion percentage: 47.3%

I know you think Tebow is horrible but in reality he is not. He is not Joe Montana by any stretch but he is far from how some portray him as a complete shitty QB.

13. abyzmul

Are you even aware that you answered a technical football post with a bunch of season records and box stats?

14. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

IIRC, Bailey, Dumervil, Thomas and Williams all missed multiple games in the first month of the season.

15. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Are you aware that the post he responded to wasn't even close to a "technical football post" ?

16. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

My takeaway from this is: holy shit, Aaron Rodgers is fucking good.

17. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I like the use of numbers, but they will never tell the whole story. A quick problem without even thinking too hard is how many of those TD's came from sneaks from <2 yards out near the endzone? Teams who had good running backs are more likely to hand it off then have their QB fight their way into the endzone. Should that take away from the QB because they have a decent run game that took the td?

These are interesting numbers though. Another quick thing to include would probably be a minimum number of attempts and compare rushing to passing in the RZ. You have to take into account that guys like Tebow/Newton almost have the same amount rushes as some 3-4 year QBs.

18. Demosthenes9

Yeah, that dude is just scary good.

19. abyzmul

Maybe you should school me on the technical benefits of Tebow under center? You sound like a feisty one.

20. Demosthenes9

On the other hand, how many QBs throw for TDs from inside the 10 yard line as opposed to the QB running them in ?