All things Tebow Part Deux-Please post your Tebow thoughts here

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by rickjet, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

I really think we'd be better off playing tebowball than stanton taking over the offense.

but there is no way this is 100% football. At the very best, you can rationalize that it would benefit the offense but come on woody. COME ON.

2. LGENF

LGENF Banned

nope, but it has been exciting this last week or so

3. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Part of what dragged his passing stats down was how many deep throws he threw last year. He had only 10 less shots down field than Philip Rivers but threw 311 less passes.

Tebow has a respectable 66.45% completion percentage on passes of 10 yards or less. He's a 50% passer on throws under 30 yards. Those numbers aren't good, but they're not unprecedented for a Quarterback in his first year starting. Mike Vick had a few years where he hovered around 50%. Tebow's Quaterback rating in his splits by pass play were actually better than what Mark Sanchez had year 1.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/13200/tim-tebow

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/12482/year/2009/mark-sanchez

or if you'd like, compare his QB Rating by pass play to Ryan Fitzpatrick last season:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/8664/ryan-fitzpatrick

Fitz is obviously much more accurate on the short passes of under 10 yards, although you can see Tebow has a higher rating on screen passes/passes behind the line of scrimmage. Once you get out past 11 yards, they're comparable....and last year was only Tebow's first year starting.

If Tebow is such a crappy passer, than you guys way overpaid for Fitz.

4. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I don't think this has anything to do with the Giants.

5. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

If the Jets do not improve the O line and get a pass rusher, they will be under 500 next year. And I didn't mention Tebow because he is not going to matter one way or the other.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I've seen you post. It's almost like a reluctant association with the Bills, while polishing the chrome on New England's trophy with vigor. For some reason you chose to be a Pats fan pretending to be a Bills fan, probably because the Bills are not viewed as a threat and because you don't have to bother addressing your team's misgivings with any emotion or enthusiasm, you can just 'admit' that they suck and move onto the Jets bashing. You think you can get away with more that way, I bet.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Probably not we aren't sold out and share the same stadium with them and have now gotten every headline and are the only talk in the metro area.

This team has been about dominating headlines since Woody took over ownership.

8. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

My prediction is that Sanchez starts every game this year, Tebow is used like they said but also as a bit of a red zone QB as well. No major positives or negatives from bringing in Tebow and we make the playoffs in a wildcard spot. Possibly win that game but not the game after that.

9. Italian Seafood

That's a popular theme but I'm not sure I buy it. The Jets have been doing these kinds of things forever, including off the years when we've been to the AFC championship game and the Giants weren't even in the playoffs. Overall it may be about competing with the Giants to a small degree but I don't think it's about them winning the Super Bowl, it's more about being a New York team with money.

We've brought in high profile free agents since there's been free agency, Art Monk, Ronnie Lott, we traded for Boomer, signed Neil O'Donnell off a Super Bowl, traded for Curtis Martin, brought in Vinny, traded for Brett Favre. This isn't anything new. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Jets have won the off season SB since the shovel went into the ground on the new stadium. You're probably right it's not about the Giants, it's simply the way the Jets under Woody operate. Hess made a few high profile moves but for the most part he let football run the operations of the team. I don't think that has been the case since BB resigned.

11. Italian Seafood

True, but Hess only had the ability to do much the last five or six years he owned the team. Free agency started around 1993 and Hess died in 1999. In those last few years when he got involved was when we finally turned it around. He jumped in to fire Pete Carroll and hire Kotite, saw he messed that up so he went and got Parcells from the Patriots by wheeling and dealing.

I think it changed in that era, Woody has kept that going because New York is about instant gratification, especially in the era of talk radio and now the Internet with the fans being heard more than in the past. They are trying to win, I think, and always trying to do it right away. That's where most of the NFL is anymore, and I think it's more so in New York.

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

With the exception of the Manning trade what big noise have the Giants made during the off season? This is decidely about Woody.

13. Italian Seafood

I don't know, I don't pay much attention to the Giants. Again, this to me isn't about the Giants at all, it's about the Jets and how they choose to do their business. They're in the same market as the Giants, yes, also the Yankees, Knicks, Rangers and every other team in this market trying to get the fans' dollars, the way to do that is to win.

If you don't win people don't buy tickets, don't buy jerseys, don't watch you on TV except the die-hards. So I believe them when they say it's about winning, because winning it the best marketing you can do. Woody has been here long enough to know that, he's been here for two straight trips to the AFC championship game and that's when our popularity was the highest.

14. WillBBC

WillBBC Member

Agreed. Well put. Just a big, 'wait, what?'

15. Italian Seafood

I don't see that. Most people had never heard of Sarah Palin before that, pretty much the opposite of this.

16. BookEndTackles 72&79

I'm not real happy about him being here. A good guy and easy to root for and I will be rooting for him when he gets in but this will blow up in the Jets face at some point this year.

17. Italian Seafood

I managed to root for Brett Favre, I can root for Tebow a lot easier.

18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

My prediction is that this season rides and dies on what Mark Sanchez can and can not do.

I like the Tebow acquisition but don't want to see him as a majority player in our offense. I want him to be used as advertised - as a package backup.

19. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Wrong Mario. It was Mario Manningham we might have been in the running for. Didn't have a terrific year with the Giants but, has definitely put up good receiving numbers and would have helped the Jets.

20. Italian Seafood

This was going to be the case either way, so I look at it as we've added a very good football player.

Same. The biggest knock is that he doesn't have the tools to be an every-down, franchise QB, and we didn't get him to be that, we have a guy for that job. Obviously Sanchez has to do the job but again that was already the case.