Tannenbaum Equation: NY Jets - Brad Smith = NY Jets + Tebow

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RobertTheJr, Mar 24, 2012.

1. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

To add to what I said above, it isn't as if Tanny had a crystal ball seeing this opportunity.

Also, Leon Washington and Brad Smith weren't overrated. They were what they were, successful pieces in the Jets' system.

2. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

We gave up a 4th round puck for Tebow. Backup QB wasn't a need, but it doesn't hurt to upgrade it to where the offense can potentially have some fire when needed. 4th round is a very small price we paid to upgrade. We still should have 10 draft picks, although with four 7th rounders I believe. We should be able to address each need and hope most the picks turn out to be valuable players. We may still see another cheap FA starter pickup as #2 WR, FS, or RT. Right before the season starts.

3. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Are we really comparing Brad Smith's body of work to Tebow's?

[YOUTUBE]OzdspnasHpw[/YOUTUBE]

4. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

I'll give it to him, he completes passes and runs the ball. His throws look strange and he gets help from his backs and receivers either coming back to the ball or waiting for it. If he works out, great. I'm a jets fan - as long as they win I'm all for it.

My opinion still stands though that Mark is the better QB.

To me, Mark has a much larger variable range, meaning his worst performance is worse than Tebow's. However, Mark has a higher ceiling - meaning he can be a better QB than Tebow. Mark's best is better than Tebow's.

Sure Tebow can get away with making bad throws and bad play, because he is a huge threat to run and use his feet and body. In other words if Mark and Tebow were to have similarly horrible passing games, Tebow can still score and be a weapon on his feet. That alone gives him a step to stand on above Mark.

#44 RobertTheJr, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  5. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

I tend to think this is a reason why we have Tebow, besides making more money for Woody in hopes of ticket and jersey sales.

6. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

If Tebow works out I think he'll be better than Smith, but that's a big IF.

I can imagine Tebow lining up in the shotgun, Sanchez is out as a wide receiver. From here the Jets can either a) run the scripted Tebow setup or b) have Sanchez read the defense from the view of the receiver and motion back under center (leaving tebow as the runningback). From there Sanchez can either pass, hand it off/pitch it to Tebow OR have the center direct snap it to Tebow.

The idea will be confusion, if Tebow can be taught how to be a decent blocker I think he can be used in a number of ways. If we can run standard plays with Tebow on the field (as in he's on the field as a TE or HB but is only blocking) defenses won't know what to expect with him out there.

Will it work? No clue. But I think he is more versatile than Smith was in terms of what he can do on offense (Smith was a better ST guy)