Tannenbaum Equation: NY Jets - Brad Smith = NY Jets + Tebow

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RobertTheJr, Mar 24, 2012.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

brad smith... kick cover special teams player, kick return special teamer, 3rd or 4th wr and wildcat qb

tim tebow... is a change of pace 12 plays a game qb who will be backing up our piss poor starting qb and will not even be able to run the same offense.

i like tebow but smith fulfilled alot of needs. tebow really doesnt fulfill any needs.

2. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

neither player would be essential to this team next year.

look at the list of things brad smith did. those aren't needs. covering kicks.. if this guy doesn't do it then that guy will do it. i think we've proved that westhoff can turn anyone into an above average kick returner. 4th wr? that's really not a need.

strictly from an offense standpoint, tebow will have more of an impact than smith.

3. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i agree from strictly an offense standpoint he will have a bigger impact than smith would have.

however if sanchez gets hurt he is not going to be able to come in and run the offense.

i also cannot and will not diminish brad smiths kick coverage skills. those were more impressive than his kick returns.

4. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Megatron is not on the trading block. His trade value is not a 4th round puck. His salary is not $1.2 mil, and he can't play the WC QB role for sparano. How did u even think about the comparison?

5. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

If Sanchez gets injured, u really think Brad Smith would have been THE guy in NY? He Was terrible as a QB. Thats why we never really tried him to pass in WC. The one time he did, he got a huge pass play that should have been a TD. And why do u assume Tebow will not be able to run his offense? He ran the offense that was designed for a traditional QB in Denver that got tweaked around to fit his style. His style doesnt require an entire overhaul of the roster. It requires a tweak in the offense with the same players and Tebow or not, we would have seen the WC in NY to a little lesser effect.

6. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I think it's better to do the "Brad Smith" thing with a player who is on a path to be a quarterback. Because the defense never knows how much of the offense he might run, and the organization can possibly be pleasantly surprised by how much it becomes.

The great limitation of the "Wildcat" is that it's not a quarterback back there --well, with Tebow that's not true. The entire playbook could be in play.

The same could theoretically be true of Brad Smith, but nobody ever seemed to think that was the case (that he was on a developmental path to be an NFL quarterback).

7. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

The point is that a team doesn't assemble a team always based one the talent of player A compared to player B.

Brad Smith and Tim Tebow can both be invaluable pieces to a team, depending on a teams individual game plan.

Some might see Tim as limited in his abilities while Brad Smith offers more to a team in possibilities, or the other way around.

Tannenbaum has said he intends for Tim to be used for wildcat - exactly what Brad Smith was used for here, something he did exceptionally well. Along side that, he was used as a possible receiver, used for special teams on both sides of the ball, something Tim won't be doing.

In terms of the NY Jets and this return to the wildcat offense, letting Brad Smith go seems like a waste of a move. A 4th round pick may not be much, but it would still be in the NY Jets hands had they not let Smith walk.

8. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

if sanchez gets hurt, i think we're better off playing tebowball than trying to have drew stanton run this offense.

this is drew stanton we're talking about. he's not going to come in and run this offense either. this offense is terrible to begin with.. downgrading at qb isn't going to help us at all.

he could've been the best kick coverage guy in the world. but at the end of the day, it's still just kick coverage. as long as westhoff is coaching, our special teams schemes will be good.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i hate this argument.every team in the league worries about the downgrade at qb if the starter goes down.

the difference here is if mark goes down tim can run a taylor made offense for him that also meshes well with rex's overall philosophy

10. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

all these new cats just really dont know how things work around here lol... theres a million pointless threads about peoples opinion on Tebow; we dont care what u think.. Just do everybody a favor and post on the Tebow thread...

11. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

That's your opinion. IMO, Tebow offers Jets a whole lot more than what Brad Smith offered. Brad ran the WC, but defenses knew it was going to be a run. With Tebow, they will be double minded. he can throw better than Smith (who can't), and has a knack for winning games.

I'm not a Tebow, but Tebow is the better QB vs Smith.

12. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

He can do it...

http://youtu.be/4BDqTF4v4aY

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4BDqTF4v4aY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Only Smith is paid much more than Tebow.

Anyway, we didn't let him go, he chose to leave without waiting for a contract offer.

14. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Has Smith taken over from Leon Washington as the player that Jets fans remember being better than he actually was?

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Tebow won't be any worse than a 99 year old Brunell would have been but I agree that is the most glaring flaw in this entire move. Gad it not been for Brunell being the backup last year there is absolutely no doubt Sanchez would have been benched on multiple occasions.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The only thing ass-backwards is this post. As it has been mentioned in this thread, Smith is making more money on another team actually doing less.

Tebow will be a realistic option as a backup QB while Smith was never on his best day a realistic option even as a backup receiver. No team ever had to adjust their entire defensive philosophy when Brunell came in, and they wouldn't have to with Stanton either.

Tebow is actually a threat to throw out of the wildcat, Smith really wasn't, as evidenced by how poorly he threw that under thrown pass to Cotch in the playoffs. Hell, Kerley's pass to Mulligan was better than any pass I ever saw Smith make.

The KR argument is the only thing that holds water, and while the Jets didn't replace his big play potential at KR, they did a pretty good job of replacing the ability to give us good field position.

You can argue that Tebow is a bad fit as a pocket QB, which I'd have trouble disagreeing with, but to say he's a bad replacement for an overpaid Brad Smith is a total joke.

#36 abyzmul, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  17. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

No, Smith is always mad because he has a small penis according to Skip Bayless.

18. abyzmul

Smith was fast enough to get first downs in the WC even when defenses knew he was running. That was fun to watch. And his returns were great. But definitely not for the money that Buffalo paid him.

Tebow was built for the WC. He'll easily be twice as effective as Smith in that formation. KRs change like the seasons.

19. abyzmul

And if there's anything that Skip knows, it's penis.

20. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

No where, at any time, did I say Tebow is a bad replacement. As a matter of fact I've addressed the issue of Tebow being better than Smith. I said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. When you have something good, you don't disassemble it and try and replace pieces - when there are more pressing issues, like defensive backs or pass rushers..