Tebow Tebow Tebow Tebow Tebow (merged several times)

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by RocklandJetsFan17, Mar 19, 2012.

?

Do you agree with the Jets in trading for Tebow?

1. Yes

277 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. No

379 vote(s)
    57.8%
  1. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

The plan is to use Tebow like Tebow: A backup QB who plays in the games and thereby diversifies and improves the offense's potential for accumulating yards and scoring points.

its a pretty ballsy and creative move. i don't think it will fail, because i don't think Sanchez or Tebow will fail. I think they will both improve as QBs and as teammates and I think you will see this team win more games as a result. If Sanchez takes his 52.5 Million and plays harder than ever before and embraces the fact that he gets to spread out some of the pressure - its not all on him- and supports Tebow as a great alternative offensive weapon - then this is gonna work....as long as the win football games of course ...:wink:

2. whichfan

whichfan New Member

I love Fox, but he is very much about simple, stupid, out-execution. Most people may not even know but Tebow suffered serious injuries during the Patriots divisional game.

Fox really did use Tebow to pound the ball and offered him little protection. They allowed him to get seriously abused during that game and others in the season. Tebow masked the deficiencies of their offensive line with his scrambling, and I think Peyton has no clue what he's getting into because Tebow's running ability made that Oline look much better than it was just like Newton did for Carolina's Oline.

I have full faith in Sparano NOT doing that with Tebow. If you're going to run the spread option, it's imperative you teach your running backs and tight ends in the backfield how to block really good for your quarterback. They literally have to become part offensive linemen.

Newton would have not survived the season if Carolina didn't do that with their running backs. Watch what Johnathan Steward does to allow Cam to complete this pass...

[YOUTUBE]Sy8lNnMxQKI[/YOUTUBE]

This is why it's hard to run in the NFL. You do have to teach your old school running backs/te's to do things they are not used to doing. You have to teach them how to read defenses and pick up blitzers.

PS: A little payback for the dirty Saints there;)

Oh and by comparison....Denver's O line:
    [YOUTUBE]I1l1TCJi1FE[/YOUTUBE]

Pats D destroyed them. I have no clue how Tebow escaped that(not for long) and if you put anyone else back there, I don't care who, including Brady himself, he's gonna get mauled. Good luck Peyton.

#3902 whichfan, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  3. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I agree its a good take on the situation - except for one thing that the writer is missing: Tim Tebow can improve as a passer. His only real deficiency is passing - if he improve's his completion pct to 55% he would be a pretty devastating QB....

4. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

side note: i would really love to have stewart on this team.

5. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Good post whichfan. I agree w/you that peyton is going to be surprised to find out that his OL isn't too great and he is going to get beat up by the defenses.

great point on blocking by RBs - one thing the Jets did not do consistently well last season was BLOCK!!! A fundamental football skill - epic fail. If they continue to not be able to block - it won't matter who the QB is - they will lose.

- excellent video.

6. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

The only reasons (excuses) I keep hearing in defense of this acquisition is Tebow's leadership, his wins, and his Wildcat capabilities.

1. If any player supports Mark as their qb still, this move has to be puzzling to say the least.

2.Sanchez went to AFC championships and has been a more consistent player in the playoffs.

3. Honestly, what does Tebow do that we can't teach a Jordan Jefferson or Russell Wilson or some other black qb that either wont get drafted or will be told he has to play a different position if he wants to be in the NFL? Before you get bent out of shape accuse me of ignorantly playing the race card, really think about it. Its not about black and white but Tebow is essentially a glorified black quarterback.

7. whichfan

whichfan New Member

Panthers may lose him this year. He's fully trained for the spread option too. He's not coming cheap though. He was the 7th best receiver in yards after catch in 2012 in the NFL and the best receiver in yards after catch on the Panthers. Yes that's receiver.

Without him, that offense would have been screwed. He was also the first to learn how to run out of the shotgun and kept Deangelo Williams on the bench for the first half of the season. He many not be going anywhere, because Deangelo can't catch like him but they have contract issues. RB's like Deangelo trained by guys like Fox have a hard time adjusting.

They're retards if they let him go, but they paid DW so much money they might have too. If the Jets are smart, that's one guy that's worth spending two picks on as well.

Stewart IS THE NEW NFL running back. He can block, play O lineman, catch, run, play running back play spread option, play conventional offense. He's amazing.

Him and Tebow will make the Jets running game unstoppable.

Oh and he's totally healthy. Been sharing snaps with DW his entire career. Never took a beating.

8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Whichfan - you need to watch some tape of last year's Jets games. Go watch the Baltimore game. Sanchez had guys all over him the second he took the snap. It was brutal. The pass blocking was abysmal.

9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

From a pure football perspective, who is a better backup QB: Tebow or Stanton? I say Tebow. And as an added bonus, instead of having the backup QB only contribute when Sanchez is hurt, we now have one that can contribute on a weekly basis. For me, that is worth a 4th and a 7th round pick.

10. Bannon

Bannon New Member

This thread could use a better title. On my handheld I was thinking it was some mockery thread again. Something more straightforward like "Merged Tebow Thread" or "All things Tebow Thread" or "Tebow is a Jet."

5 Tebow's in the title? Demonstrably too many. One Tebow is always enough.

11. whichfan

whichfan New Member

#3911 whichfan, Mar 24, 2012
  12. crna2112

crna2112 Banned

I agree with a lot of your points of course, but I will say that I don't think Tebow masked the Offensive Lines ability with his scrambling--he did scramble, but 70% of the time it was because he was holding onto the ball too long. That was only partly his fault though as the routes under Fox were long, slow developing routes....it was painful to watch. What Tebow did mask was their run blocking ability. Everyone thinks Manning is going to have the #1 rushing attack behind him, yet they forget that pre-Tebow they were average at best and probably below average. Tebow opened that running game up and allowed McGahee open lanes that won't be there under Manning.

13. KILLER Klown

KILLER Klown New Member

The reports from Denver also said he had issues reading defenses and progressions, hence another reason for the simplified offence. the Jets are trying to do something that's never been done.

14. crna2112

crna2112 Banned

You're right, and from now on anybody that says Tebow can't pass and has a smaller brain than real white QBs I will call them a racist. Its just the man keeping Tebow down.

LOL.

15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

That is the main reason they tried to implement an offense like Tebow had in college. He can read the defense on the read option really well. For anyone that has run the option enough, it becomes second nature. If you watched the LSU-Bama title game you saw LSU run the read option poorly, always going left and right not north and south.

The thing is, when the Jets bring Tebow in, that type of style is to be expected. Before, the Broncos ran a lot of normal,nfl plays too, so not sure how the Jets would implement him. Good point on something that has never been done. The Jets need to find an effective way to keep Sanchez and Tebow on the field at the same time to maximize the effect.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The LT/RT thing wouldn't matter if Tebow was only running the wildcat.

The Jets nominal backup the last couple of years was also left-handed. Now he would have required the switch you are talking about if Sanchez went down. The Jets didn't seem to think that would be a problem. Then again often it appears as though the Jets don't think about anything beyond the $$$ these days.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

From the standpoint of the wildcat there's no way the Jets are better off with Sanchez still on the field when they run it. You don't want your QB tangled up, even with a CB and the standard ploy of splitting the QB out wide to take a CB with him is not the most effective way to take advantage of the wildcat.

What the Jets really want is a WR split out there who threatens the defense and forces one of the safeties to take a look over there at the snap.

18. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

For those of us Jet fans that have been bemoaning the mish-mosh offensive styles that Schotty has tried blend together and hoist upon this franchise over the last few years, this next year should be interesting if nothing else.

19. whichfan

whichfan New Member

Sure, and part of the issue was play calling. I can't remember which game, but I remember counting 22 run plays in the first half alone.

22 run plays and maybe 1 or 2 passes. And this was after Tebow put up some impressive passing numbers in previous games. Who in the hell does that? They still ended up balanced cause then they passed from behind the entire second half.

But that's not my idea of balanced play calling. All run one half and all pass the other. I mean the run game worked, #1 in the NFL, but still. But that's Fox.

So what would happen is defenses stacked the box and blitzed the run. Same crap that happened in Carolina. They never established the passing threat early, so defenses never respected the pass. Therefore they never had time to pass when they did want to go to it.

But as ugly as that was to watch, it's not nearly as ugly as watching him do that when you don't have the #1 rushing offense in the NFL with Jake Delhomme taking snaps from under center. I think as far as Peyton/Fox combo goes, it's a good one. It's what they both needed. Peyton will keep Fox's play calling out of it, and Fox respects Peyton enough to let him call his own offense. If they meet each other in the middle it will solve both their problems, but it still won't fix the Oline.

#3919 whichfan, Mar 24, 2012
  20. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I don't know how it would work, but if Sanchez is in shotgun with Tebow and lets say McKnight split on his right/left side. Depending on how they use the remaining 3 players to be 3 WR's or 1 TE, 1 extra blocker, 1 WR it adds an element of surprise. He could hand to Tebow who could run an option with McKnight. He could playaction to Tebow. Direct snap to Tebow who can still throw.

I don't know if that would work logistically, but it would cause much more confusion for the defense. And feel free to shoot this down if it can't work. I'm just trying to imagine a way to keep Tebow/Sanchez out there. The key requirement of this is that Tebow can make a decent block if there is a free rusher.