Tebow Tebow Tebow Tebow Tebow (merged several times)

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by RocklandJetsFan17, Mar 19, 2012.

?

Do you agree with the Jets in trading for Tebow?

1. Yes

277 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. No

379 vote(s)
    57.8%
  1. whichfan

whichfan New Member

Man if you're going to talk to me about total defense of a team, don't talk to me about about individual hand picked drives you decided to pick out as some sort of conclusion that proves your point.

I don't care how many yards the Patriots gave up in the drives you chose. The fact is they were the #2 most efficient defense in the NFL. They allowed BELOW league average points, and finished 11th in points allowed overall. Points. Not yards. Part of the Patriots defensive strategy IS to allow long, tiring drives for offenses, which forces them to be inefficient and make mistakes which the Pats D can benefit by forcing turnovers. They don't play old school defense, and Bill Belichick could give a rat's ass about allowing 500 yards a game as long as they force offenses to play inefficiently, while their own offense moves up and down the field at will. Their goal isn't 3 and outs. It's turnovers, stops, prevent points, and make you run as many plays as possible in order for you to take a pounding while you score a FG. In the mean time they drive down the field and score touchdowns. You cannot measure that type of defense with your typical stats, nor with your eyes, because you have to let go of your beliefs which you have been brought up to believe are important: like a defense "allowing yards".

As a team they outscored their opponents by 171 points, which can only be accomplished if their defense got STOPS.

And the fact the Patriots can even "give up" 80 yard drives in the first place, has a lot to do with the fact they had the #2 special teams defense in the league, which pushes offenses back. Suck ass special teams defenses who give up 50 yards in field position come out looking GREAT in the "total defense" yards department or in front of your "eyes".

I don't care about yards. Yards mean NOTHING. POINTS and STOPS is what matters. Like in any other sport. And more specifically yards per point, which is efficiency. How many yards do you FORCE another offense to travel before you allow a touchdown. Pats were #2 in the NFL.

And the Giants defense WAS WORSE....Defense wins championships is a myth. Look up offensive efficiency and you will find out which teams won most Super Bowls. The teams with the more efficient offense wins the football game as well as THE game. Last year it happened to be the Giants.

And using "your eyes" is worthless because what you see and what I see and what everyone else sees are completely different and subjective things. Your eyes can't keep track of defending starting field position on each possession. They can't keep track of the number of stops. Your eyes are a terrible tool to measure defenses.

#3481 whichfan, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Sheesh. So it's either going to be this or that, huh? What about what is more likely, that it will be somewhere in the middle? THat it will be Sanchez trying to assert leadership, but with every slight setback, Tebowmania is on his case, and he is looking over his shoulder. That Tebow is no more, or less, "successful" than he has been - enough for his fans, but not enough to be a very good NFL Qb. That neither succeeds, and the current circus becomes more like the Roman Colloseum, with both Qb's the recipients of calls for their heads.

Sounds like a perfect storm of doo doo to me.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

We had 12 picks going in. What the hell are you going to do with a half dozen picks in the last two rounds.

You just picked up a 2 time national championship QB, a Heisman trophy winner, NFL starting Playoff QB...for essentially you're fourth round pick.

That's a bag full of 50's. And Kerley cannot run the wildcat to the playoffs. Tebow did.

4. LWC611

LWC611 Member

Good Point

5. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Tebow isn't the best RB on the team, but he's dangerous as a running QB. He ran a 4.71 at 236 pounds, not the fastest, but he has great football instincts in terms of finding holes and hitting them. Running a read option with him and Greene or McKnight or Kerley or whoever else the Jets add at runningback could be effective.

Schilens could be important with that as a deep threat with size that can make plays sometimes like Demaryius Thomas. He needs to be healthy, but he could be dangerous making big plays in single coverage in Tebow plays.

6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Good post. You make some fair points. I just have to trust the Jets staff to evaluate Sanchez given all the circumstances involved. I want to believe they won't give in to Tebowmania. They would look like idiots if they benched Sanchez for Tebow after giving him an extension. The only way they don't is if it is painfully obvious that Sanchez is playing terribly.

I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt and not worry about the boogeyman until I have to :)

7. TebowTrollCoach

Denver put Royal in with the Minnesota game, because they had no receiver that could be the safeties...Decker couldn't and DT barely could..(effectively NOT)..

Tebow came from an environment in college (all the catchers there are now starters in the NFL) where he had no problem finding open guys.
    Manning will have a hell of a time making Denver into the Colts unless they bring the FA leftovers to Denver

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

To quote The Godfather..."you are what you;re record says you are"

And Sanchez has played lights out in big time situations. In Indy, in NE..etc.

With Tebow...there were circumstances involved, but it's a football it bounces funny ways.

At the end of the day, BOTH PLAYERS...have been consistent winners. And they're both very young.

And by any reasonable measure, BOTH players have been consistent aout coming up big, in big spots. You want to deny facts, that's your thing...

9. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Good post OP , the only thing I ask you to keep an open mind about is "he will never be a good QB"

He is 24 years old and started 1 year. That's fairly early to write someone off .

10. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

And is working on his throwing mechanics as we speak. The kid wants to become a better QB.

11. bicketybam

Sanchez needs to worry about what the coaching staff thinks of him and no one else. Doesn't matter if people chant for Tebow. Doesn't matter if the media stirs up shit every chance they get. All that matters is that he plays up to the staffs expectations. If he does that, he can tune all the other bullshit out. He CAN'T let that affect him.

12. bicketybam

Why are you guys arguing about NE? That was the one game Denver should have lost in the last 3. NE was a far better team than them. Buffalo and KC? Not so much.

13. Of course this is a possibility. There is always the risk of the "perfect storm" of failure. This move is about competition. Now Sanchez is a much better player than tebow..but tebow's reputation and buzz will serve its purpose. If this doesn't knock sense into Sanchez nothing will..in which case..it's time to find a new franchise QB.

14. Sanpetejets

Sanpetejets Member

A must read for every Jets fan

No Tebow-mania crap. Just football... Not sure if it was posted, if so I apologize, I couldn't find it. It's a long read, but a great one, and by an x's and o's guy, not a homer, and not a hater.
    I have already tweeted it to several of the Jets beat writers. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll let this happen...

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t.../why-tebow-should-work-with-the-new-york-jets

15. LGENF

LGENF Banned

better I will give you, but much better............no

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So I see three options here.

We could add a button next to New Topic that reads New Tebow Topic and have it dump directly into Trash Talk since that seems to be where all the Tebow threads are headed anyway.

We could add a Tebow Forum under the New York Jets Main Forum and filter the words "tim" and "tebow" in the New York Jets sub-forum.

We could redirect all new posters to the Rapture forums right after they have created their accounts. The real football fans will find their way back here but the ones who would really annoy us will probably be enraptured at their new discovery and stay there.

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Can we please please please please make an official Tebow thread?? We don't need 100 separate Tebow threads. He's a backup QB, not even a starter. Stop putting him on a pedestal already.

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I guarantee you Manning makes those receivers look FAR better than they did when Tebow was there. Your blind love for Tebow is easy to see. We're talking about Peyton fucking Manning. You've heard of him?

19. Barcs

Barcs Banned

What a load of crap. Obviously its every QBs goal to be a starter one day, but he's not beating Mark, unless mark beats himself.

20. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

Fascinating how a guy from South Florida joins a Jets site in March of 2012, with a Tebow picture.

We get it, after years and years of being shit on by the Canes and Noles, you had a nice little run, and want to believe that your hero is more than just an NFL bust (like the rest of your players). But please don't ruin our site to promote your guy!

Gators fans are worse than the Jesus freaks when it comes to propping this kid up.