Good Article by Ian O'connor on Tebow

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Benny the Jet, Mar 22, 2012.

1. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Anybody wanting to see Tebow throw the ball did not watch the thursday night game against Denver this year. Let him stick to his niche.

2. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

This is the media capital of the world...it's been Tebow's town since the trade was just a rumor.

3. SanityRemoved

SanityRemoved New Member

But remember that the PSL sales problem is a problem Woody created. Any owner in the league would have welcomed the number of sold out games prior to the PSLs creation. Woody hopes Tebow, just as he has placed hope on other big names, will increase PSL sales. It's a little different than mere ticket sales in other markets.

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Yeah except its been a couple of years since the PSLs first went out. I'd agree with this argument more if this was going to be year 1 of the PSLs but its not. The core base of the fans are already paid up and even Tebow can only make minor improvements in that regards.

Winning a Super Bowl will have a meteor like impact compared to any personnel move... at the end of the day that would benefit more than some short term gains. That's the real objective.

5. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

I don't get it

All we heard was how Sanchez needed to be pushed by a QB who could challenge him as a starter, make him mature and hopefully bring him to his best

Now I'm hearing that as soon as Sanchez throws and interception, he'll be hearing the Tebow chants. Well, if he throws as badly as he did last season ( pick-6s galore, fumbles, bad passes late in games) why shouldn't he hear those rumblings.

If the Jets brought in Chad Henne, everyone would be lauding the deal. But because its Tebow, it's a bad move? I don't get it. And don't tell me about the Tebow circus. He brings more to the table than any back-up QB they could've gotten, and that includes Matt Flynn.

It will prove to be a good football move.

6. flagator07

flagator07 New Member

I'm not looking forward to the QB controversy or the media circus we're going to have next year, but this move is going to force Sanchez to step up or we're moving in a different direction at the QB position. I don't know if Tebow is the answer (and I am saying that as a Gator fan), but without a doubt we're going to find out if Sanchez is.

7. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

No you are right. YOU DON'T GET IT! Tebow is one dimensional. Teams figure it out and shut down any wildcat (hopefully, he'll barely be on the field). Then you're left with him passing. Which is worse than bad! I'll take Henne / Stanton / McElroy over Tebow throwing. Now you're stuck with him and he's is not a QB a team is willing to build around (ex. Denver). You do not build a team around gimmick QB's. It hasn't worked yet. You better have an elite defense (we don't) or a superior running game (we don't) or you are in for a long season. And just because TT is a gimmick qb doesn't mean he'll be fooling teams left and right with what he'll do and run over everyone because he is such an athlete. do you think fans will be happy if he's throwing incomplete passes on 3rd down or running for 2yds on 2nd?

Please, enough of the "he's a competitor", "he's an athlete", "he's a winner". You can tag 99% of the athlete's in the NFL with these trumped up moniker's. Just stop. You people sound like Beiber fans.

8. Passer By

Passer By New Member

Bronco fan here ... I think you guys scored big time

All ... not tebow fanatic but liked him.

I think you should realize last year, all we had was Tebow, you guys have a QB who can pick up a 3rd down of more than 8 yards consistently (I know some of you are not high on Sanchez).

Here is the thing ... if you use Tebow for 10-12 plays a game, you will get production out of him ... anywhere from 50-120 yards of offense a game. Your opponents will have to prepare for both QBs and defending Tebow is a whole week of work in itself. Huge advantage.

You do have the downside of QB controversy but I think for a 4th round pick and change you have a guy that will give you an average of 70 extra yards of offense per game. That's a deal.

And in answer to the question "well why did you guys get rid of him" .. well you don't take Manning out of a game ever, like about 10 QBs in this league but Sanchez ain't one of those 10 yet.

I don't think some of you know how good you got it ...

Oh and you have a QB that in 1-2 years if he shows any improvement as a passer, could be Sanchez's replacement ... kid's got the long ball, need to get reads and mid range passing down ... he had better passing stats in college than many, many QBs.

You guys got a deal for a fourth and change.

9. reverseapachemaster

I think Tebow will be ok being on the sidelines all game. That way when somebody else scores a touchdown, he will have less distance to run to get in front of a camera and pose away his religion.

10. TebowTrollCoach

flagator

please, the last thing the Jets fans need is a brand new Tebow fan coming in and making comments about their QB. If Tim was starter here, I sure as hell wouldn't need to hear about how some new guy was better..without the history.

In the days to come, if TT is who you and others think he is, Mr. Ryan and his staff will see to it, he gets the ball..or not.

you have been coached.
    lol

11. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Von Miller. Matt Prater (but he's a mega asshole fucktard).

12. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

More than a bit. It seems to me EVERYTHING we do now is about that. Surprised I haven't gotten the email from the JetsShop yet.

That's the part of all this that disturbs me. What's the focus? When are we getting to be the dominant defense it looked like we'd build?

13. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

both qb's have a qb rating in the 70's, so either the jets have 2 elite qb's by your standards, or as in the real world, 2 clunkers.

sanchez has been a benefactor of great defenses his first 2 years in the league, after last year it's pretty clear he can barely carry himself, never mind an nfl team!

14. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

LOL, i guess you stopped watching jets football before the end of the season meltdown. not that i'm surprised, you could see it coming. sanchez was last season what he was the prior two seasons, a bottom 1/3 scrub qb.

i'm happy to know you don't care about ne, if you did, then i'd be major concerned!

15. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

That's the issue. I wish I could say this wasn't an ownership-driven move, but it definitely was. Woody loves the big name QB.

That all being said, I don't necessarily think it was a bad deal. Did I want it? No. I'd rather use the picks elsewhere and avoid the Tebow hysteria.

But now that he's here, let's embrace him.

I think this is a good post. I temper this enthusiasm with believing it's an ownership deal over a football deal, but at the same time, Tebow can help this team. He can also divide this team with a QB controversy, but that will be media (and fan) driven more than driven by Tebow himself, I would think.

It will be a little awkward because we obviously told Tebow we were going to try to get him on the field at times, and Sanchez won't like that. With the personnel on our team, it makes all the sense in the world to use him in shotgun in "Wildcat" formations, and if he does well, that could cause a QB controversy. Or more likely, if Sanchez does poorly.

I hope they get a good look at him this offseason and truly decide their long-term plans with him. If they think he can be a QB down the line, develop him mostly as a QB. Him playing Wildcat shouldn't take away from that too much, I mean he's still taking the ball under center.

If they think he can't be a QB long-term, move him around and see where he can help the team. We've had McKnight on defense and Cromartie on offense lately, maybe Tebow can help out like that, too.

Personally, I'd rather develop him as a QB. There are people who think he can be a solid NFL starting QB with a lot of work, and if we can tap that, his value will be very high in a trade. If you combine that media buzz with a player who people think can actually play and help your team win, we can get something back in a trade for him.

Or for Sanchez. Which I guess is a small part of the deal that's bad. Now we have a "legitimate" #2 QB in that we have someone that might actually be the long-term answer if Sanchez struggles. Brunell, McElroy and O'Connell were never that guy.

#35 Jetfanmack, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Your vague stat comparison is weak sauce.

All anybody has to do is watch the two throw a football. Tebow can't do that, he is a one trick pony and his trick isn't even the most important trick a QB should have. Which is throwing the ball.

Sanchez is a much better QB than Tebow is. There is no comparison as far as that is concerned.

Sanchez is much better than you give him credit.

17. kubernetes

kubernetes New Member

Sanchez is by far the better QB, but if he's so fragile that he wilts under the pressure of Tebow's clipboard, then he doesnt have what it takes. Seriously, I'm tired of hearing about Mark's feelings. What kind of "franchise QB" is that emotionally fragile? I've never heard about Tebow's hurt feelings or fragile ego, and he's caught more shit in the national media than any athlete in the country.

18. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

No YOU DON"T GET IT

You didn't respond to my post. You used it as a springboard for a cliche-ridden rant based upon your hatred of Tebow. That's fine. WE'll see how it all works out

19. tommytom

tommytom Banned

20. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

sanchez has dealt with boos before.

if he can't handle them now.. fuuuuuccccccckkkkk, he doesn't deserve to be a starting qb anyways.