Jets Sign Laron Landry

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JerzeJets, Mar 19, 2012.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

if its wrong then go ahead and correct, or is it correct and you are just trying to be a funny guy?

2. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

The Jets Stream
    LaRon Landry: "I wanted the 1-year deal to prove to everybody and show that my injury is healed." #nyj
    about 2 hours ago

3. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

The Jets Stream
    Landry on whether he sees himself as a strong or free safety: "In this defense, I can do both....This defense allows you to... mix it up"
    about 2 hours ago

4. Doogstein

Doogstein Member

He's goin to be such a monster in our D, Every night I'm goin to go to sleep praying that his injuries are behind him and he can unleash his full force against everyone while wearing Jet green the rest of his career. If only there was an Earl Thomas in this draft we'd be fuckin set at S for years to come

5. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I wish the Jets had gotten an option year on his contract. He will be a free agent again next year, even if he does very well. No?

7. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Yep. And I believe he will get paid well next year. We can all sit here and go on and on about his lack of pass coverage abilities. The fact is he is scary and a sure tackler. That is what this team REALLY needs.

8. tommytom

tommytom Banned

The guy is always hurt. He is an injury waiting to happen. He is too muscle bound and should be a bodybuilder not a football player.

9. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

That is why there is EMPHASIS on the 1 year deal. He has been in the league 5 years, he got hurt in the last 2 seasons. His previous 3 seasons he was a force. Manning is more likely to get hurt than Landry yet the Broncos did not hesitate to give him a 5 year 96 million deal.

10. tommytom

tommytom Banned

Manning is a Hall of Famer lol. Landry is a B rated player at best. Good talent but not a football body anymore. Juicing

11. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

I am not understanding your argument. You mentioned he is an injury waiting to happen, hence the reason they only have a 1 year deal in place. What does Manning being a HOF QB have to do with the fact that he is just as likely if not more to get hurt than Landry, yet the Broncos still made him the highest paid QB in the league. B rated? Not sure about that.

12. tommytom

tommytom Banned

Landry has played in just 17 games the past two years. He could miss some more time next season because of an Achilles injury (not torn).

13. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

Landry's contract.....Didnt know if it was posted think it is a great deal now!!

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/03/jets_protected_themselves_agai.html

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum called LaRon Landry a "dynamic" safety, which is why the club worked to sign the free agent during his visit. But the Jets also protected themselves in the event Landry's left heel -- which ended each of his past two seasons -- continues to be an issue.

The Jets signed Landry to a one-year deal with a maximum value of $3.5 million earlier this week. But half of that amount -- $1.75 million -- is tied up in a weekly roster bonus contingent on him being on the active 46-man roster, per a person with knowledge of the deal's specifics. That person requested anonymity because the team has not announced the terms of the deal.

Landry will earn a $700,000 base salary in 2012 that is fully guaranteed, and also received a $950,000 signing bonus and $100,000 workout bonus. That money totals to $1.75 million.

The rest of the money is in a $1.75 million roster bonus, paid out in sums of $109,375 for each game Landry suits up for.

This practice is not unheard of for players coming off injuries, because it encourages them to work to play each week. But having 50 percent of the money tied to him suiting up is a significant amount.

Landry sees the one-year deal as a chance to prove himself.

"It's really more so like me challenging myself," Landry said on a conference call Tuesday with reporters. "I wanted a one-year deal to prove to everybody and show them that this injury is healed, and I'm able to play to the best of my ability. Because when I'm healed and I can perform the way I know how to perform, the sky's the limit for me. Unstoppable."

14. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Dude you are acting like they gave him a 5 year contract. Its 1 year for cheap. The reward far outweighs the risk.

15. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

Agreed esp when the contract he is getting paid by each game he is active for.

HUGE!!

16. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

My problem with this signing has nothing to do with Landry's coverage skills or his injury history. We can all debate about Sanchez, Holmes, Cro, etc. I think for the most part, EVERYONE who knows football and the NY Jets would agree however that our coordinator, our SS, our RT and our OLB positions desperately needed to be replaced.

My issue is, if you like Landry, and he agreed to a deal that would protect you if he gets hurt, why only sign him for one year?Why not give him a multi-year deal that covers your ass if he gets hurt? Did we not learn from last year by getting these stop gap solutions? BUILD A TEAM TANNY! We are not the 49ers. We are not a fumble away from the Superbowl. We have serious holes to fill. Fill them. This move only says to me you went out and got a safety to save face but you're not fully convinced Eric Smith is a bum. Sorry, but if you can't tell Eric Smith is a bum, then as a fan, I don't want you involved in the organization I root for.

Furthermore, go out and replace Jim Leonhard.DO NOT bring him back! The guy is a hard worker. I'll give him that. But so is Yelba...the maintenance woman who cleans my office. Doesn't mean she should be the NY Jets safety. I'm so tired of hearing the excuse "in Rex's defense, the FS calls alot of the plays." So you never teach another guy the job? So Jim Leonhard is our safety forever? C'mon, not only is the guy coming off back to back season ending injuries, he's too small for the job. He tackles at ppls ankles like a frail cornerback. Enough is Enough!

17. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

I don;t think he would have signed that sort of a deal. He knows he won't get as good a deal this year as he would if he stays healthy 1 year and plays well. The deal in place is good for us and him. If he plays well, he will get a very good deal next off season. If he gets hurt, we don't lose out on much.

18. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He's not going to sign a deal that benefits only the Jets. He needs to do what's best for him, I think you're forgetting that. The Jets and Landry agreed to a one year deal that will allow him to showcase what he can do in a 46 defense, but one that also covers the Jets' ass if he can't stay healthy. Remember, Landry is the one who opted not to go for surgery, so he ain't getting a multi-year deal from anyone.

19. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

I get what you guys are saying but why not give him a deal where the incentives are enticing IF he stays healthy? Sort of like Manning's deal in Denver. Denver covers their but, but if he stays healthy, he gets a quality pay day. (and no I'm not saying give him Peyton Manning money).

20. New England Patriots

New England Patriots Well-Known Member

The difference in upside potential between Manning and Landry is the reason why Manning demands his level of pay.