KC Joyner: Jets make right call on Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yes he is. And that's playing under the worst OC. He's put up Pennington numbers under schotty

And look up your own stats if you choose to argue the point

2. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Fuck it, I'm back on board with Sanchez. At this point, it's what we as a fan base need to do also. If the F.O. is committing to him, so do we. It's the best move for everyone involved.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Those that don't like the move are the types of fans that want Brett favre at 40 years old. They just love big names or big fantasy #s guys.

4. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Dead on...Sanchez will never be a big name or fantasy #s guy.

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You can make an argument that if we hung on to Favre in 09 we win a SB. How valuable is that to a franchise?

Eli is a bargain compared to Sanchez. The guy is one of the top 5 QB's in the league. Sanchez based on his play is in the bottom third. A bottom third QB gives you a very small chance to win a SB even if you do have the best d and running game in the league.

You have to hope he develops and you can't fault the deal, that said he has simply not developed into a top notch QB and until he does being paid like a top 10 QB doesn't make him a good value.

#65 Biggs, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  6. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Eli was also a bottom 3rd QB in his first 3 years. Sanchez should be evaluated on seasons 4 and 5.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Eli sucked but he had something Sanchez doesn't much better over all skills. By the way he just restructured freeing up 6 million in cap space for the Giants and it's not a story.

One other thing the Giants dumped a very talented TE because he was a locker room problem for the QB. What are the jets going to do about Holmes.

#67 Biggs, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  8. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

LOL....

I totally enjoyed Favre's year here... until he got hurt.

Never in my years as a football fan have I gotten to enjoy my QB throwing darts like that in tough spaces... beating TENN and NE had the world believing this was a Super Bowl team... Then he gets injured..

It happens..

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

In retrospect, Tanny and Woody probably have a SB trophy in 09 if they had convinced Favre to come back by unloading both Mangini and Shottenheimer.

10. nyjunc

as a Giant fan you would think you'd remember back even to 2010 when Eli wasn't a top 20 qb. He had a nice year and probably was the 5th best QB in the league but that doesn't mean he's cracked the top 5, legot top 5 QBs do it every year which Eli hasn't done.

Favre killed us that year, we should ahve been 10-1 if not for him and not 8-3. he got hurt in OCTOBER, he had his best(and only good) month in November. His arm being hurt wasn't the reason we lost, we lost b/c he made horrible decisions and killed us.

11. nyjunc

Yesh, Favre didn't want to play for us in '08, I'm sure had we kept him he would have played for us and then played much better than he did in '08 for us.:lol:

12. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Can we please stop the "he's a top 7 paid quarterback! ROBBLEROBBLEROBBLE!" nonsense. He was a top pick, of course he's well paid.

How many QB's you consider better went to the AFC Championship game in their first two seasons? Sanchez isn't perfect, but he's shown that he's a quarterback you can win with.

Eli Manning won a Super Bowl as a quarterback you can win with. Then he got better.

Look, I'm off the Sanchez bandwagon if everything else goes right this year and he falters, but I think he deserves a shake with a decent offensive line and a competent coordinator.

-X-

13. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Yeah it happens... Only to the Jets..:sad:

14. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

How do we figure that Sanchez is a top 7 paid QB? It's very arbitrary when the QBs around the league are all at different stages of their contracts, received different bonuses and have different guarantees.

15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Add in that any QB's drafted last year automatically have a lower contract because of rookie wages now it really is not an indicator of anything.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah but you can't compare the circumstances the two players landed in in the NFL. The year before Carson Palmer played his first game Chad Ochocinco caught 90 passes for 1,355 yards and 10 TD's. That was just sitting there waiting for Palmer when he finally got on the field.

Rudi Johnson was a huge pounding back with no wear and tear on him at all who had a semi-breakout season the year before Palmer hit the field and broke out and ran roughshod over the NFL for Palmer's first 3 seasons.

Housh was a better receiver than anybody the Jets have had since Keyshawn Johnson and he was the #2. he caught 92 passes the year Palmer was hurt in 2008.

The Bengals had real offensive weapons waiting for Pamer when he hit the field. The Jets had Jerrico Cotchery, who was a good receiver but never great, and Chansi Stuckey waiting to play with Sanchez. They had Thomas Jones who was good but not great standing behind him.

Completely different circumstances.

Do you think Palmer has the breakout seasons that he does in '05 and '06 if he's throwing to a carousel of receivers and has no real threat in the backfield behind him?

17. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Here's an outsider's view of what amounts to the Sanchez rationalization thread.

1. As I've written many times, Manning was NEVER a real option for the Jets.

2. I think the Jets front office, given the reality of their situation did a good job maximizing their flexibility with this contract extension. Essentially they gave Sanchez an extra $3MM for the ability to have the option to cut him AFTER the 2013 season if they aren't happy with his play. Plus they get to add $7MM in badly needed cap space this season. All around, not a bad job by the much maligned (at least by me) Jets FO.

3. So for better or worse, for the next 2 years, barring injury, the Jets QB is going to be Mark Sanchez.....PERIOD

4. New the question arises as to how good (or bad) is he. I've seen legitimate arguments made for both sides of this issue, so ultimately the end results remain to be seen.

5. But up to this point here is what we do know about Mark Sanchez on the plus side

a. his late game comebacks show that he can excel in those moments.
    b. he has clearly showed improvement in SOME parts of his game.
    c. When he is well protected and throws in rhythm his accuracy vastly improves

(on the negative side)

d. Between his picks and fumbles his TO rate is simply unacceptable
    e. He's proven he's not a great decision maker and struggles when his first options aren't open
    f. He consistently loses his cool under a strong pass rush.
    g. He is not a guy who can win consistently throwing the ball 40+ times a game. He needs to be in the 25 times area to be consistently successful. The more he throw, the more his flaws become apparent
    h. He is not a QB who can make other players better
    i. He is not a natural leader. He is a leader only in the sense that he plays the QB position.

In conclusion: Surrounded by a team with an elite defense and running game, the Jets can get to the superbowl with Mark Sanchez as the QB. He is good enough to be able to do that.

He is not good enough to "carry" the Jets to the promised land with the team he has....at this moment. In other words the 2011 Mark Sanchez might have been able to take the 09 or '10 Jets to the superbowl. But even an "improved" 2012 Mark Sanchez isn't getting there with a running game and defense that is regressing

18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8278a205/article/mark-sanchezs-extension-with-jets-isnt-all-it-seems?module=HP11_content_stream

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The 2009 Patriots won 10 games with a top 6 defense. They got blown out by the Ravens in the playoffs. Tom Brady had a pretty good year that year but he couldn't carry the Patriots to the Super Bowl.

Obviously the Patriots are much better off at the moment with Brady than the Jets are with Sanchez but the idea that even a great QB can carry his team to a championship is flawed. Sometimes he can and sometimes the team is just pretty ordinary even with him being great.

Patriots fans have been spoiled by having Brady around as long as they have. It's skewed your view of what works and doesn't work. I'm sure 49ers fans were the same way between 1981 and 1998 or so. Their strongest team since then just got to the AFC championship game with a guy totally unlike the guys 49ers fans would have sworn you needed to do that.

20. nyjunc

I think it is a fair assessment overall but name me the QBs that can "carry" their teams to a SB? Brady? who else?