Why Yes, I would Trade Revis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RochesterJet, Mar 7, 2012.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

How many long time JETS fans that have seen WAAAY too many 1st rd. picks turn out to be JAGs or worse agree with the idea of trading one this franchise's few star players for 2 1st rd draft picks?

not me.

get back to me when he wants a new contract, and we'll reconsider

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Polamalu and Ware play much more important positions than Revis.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Give me a break. The Patriots traded an overrated Deion Branch and a past-his-prime Richard Seymour both for first round picks to stupid franchises. You would think you had learned anything. Revis is arguably the best defensive player in the league, in a passing league, and there are still just as many moron franchises in the NFL.

Get real.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

How could we ever stop a high powered passing attack without Revis?

5. TheNacho

TheNacho Bench Warmer

I don't know about you, but I really like the fact we have a player that fundamentally shuts down the opposing team's best receiving threat week in and week out. Revis obviously isn't the ENTIRE defense, but trading him away on a whim (in his prime, no matter) isn't a bright move, imo.

6. sbx213

sbx213 New Member

Yes lets trade a guy who constantly shuts down opposing #1 receivers...
    Great defensive players like JPP, Ware, Polamalu, and Revis don't come every year.

7. TheNacho

TheNacho Bench Warmer

I find it comical that half of this board wants to sign a QB with glass neck who's obviously past his prime, and some of those same people want to trade away our best defensive player who hasn't even reached his prime yet.

No wonder our fan base has a reputation for being moronic.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If we were able to get a herschel walker type deal for him it would be an absolute no brainer. It would be foolish not to trade him in that scenario,

9. TheNacho

TheNacho Bench Warmer

Okay, I'll agree with you there.

But Hershel Walker type deals are rare.

10. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Maybe I'm in the minority, but this is the worst thread in months.

It's pointless to even respond to the OP.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

we should get another 'decent' CB and move revis to free safety. hell, have him play free and strong safety all by himself!

12. TheNacho

TheNacho Bench Warmer

100% on the same page.

13. davecrazy

davecrazy Active Member

It's a passing league because corners can't play defence anymore. That's why it's more important by far to disrupt the QB behind the line then it is to defend the pass in the air. Who was the shutdown corner who took away half of the field on the Giants? On the Pats? On the Ravens? On the Steelers? On the Packers? On the Saints? On the 49ers?

Guess what? None of those teams have that guy, and none of them need one.

Taking away one player on the Saints or Packers is pointless because they have 5-6 other guys to go too. The 49ers won with defensive pressure up front. Same with the Giants and Ravens The Pats kill you with TEs who a corner won't cover anyways.

Cornerback is the most worthless position on defence. You just need a warm body who can run with guys and wrap up tackle. That's it. If your not gong to win by bombing it to 8 guys you better have a pass rush who can put the QB on his ass so he can't carve you up.

14. TheNacho

TheNacho Bench Warmer

Well, we have a player that CAN play corner, at an elite level. You don't trade away players like that. Unless you're the Washington Redskins (ie Champ Bailey).

15. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Well they'd have to BE morons to take on Revis' contract AND give picks away. Besides I wonder if Revis would have the same kind of productivity if he had to play in zone defenses a good part of the time. Just look at what happened to Asumagha when he went to Philly. He went from playing mostly man to playing a lot of zone and wasn't nearly as effective.

Branch WAS a steal for the Pats and a really dumb move by Seattle. Seymour was a better value to the Raiders, but they vastly overpaid to keep him beyond his last year of his contract.

The same goes for Revis. Not only do you have to have the right defense, and enough cap room to absorb hjs massive contract. But IIRC, he can walk in 2014, and as we have seen, when he can walk, he is going to, or you will have to pay him top dollar again (at LEAST $18-20MM/yr)

The fact is the Pats managed to score over 30 point/game last season, even with a healthy Revis. a single CB just isn't worth QB money, and that is what Revis will want (assuming he's playing at an elite level in one or 2 seasons)

BTW- unfortunately every time BB is able to swindle moron teams like the Raiders and Seahawks were when those deals went down, the lesson gets learned by the rest of the league and it makes it harder to con the next guy. Both Raiders and Seahawks are now run by much more savvy FO's.

In fact about the only GM who comes to mind who would be likely to give up TOO much in order to acquire a "perceived star" is sitting in NJ. :wink:

16. ILL-AL

ILL-AL Active Member

Only way I trade Revis, Itd have to be for that "franchise" type QB. (and not talking bout Sanchise type QB lol)

17. davecrazy

davecrazy Active Member

Your going to use a hall of fame talent who hasen't done a thing to win his team anything as your argument?

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If this is a passing league where you have to have topflight corners why did Bill Belichik let Ty Law and Asante Samuel go after winning with them? Why did he get to the Super Bowl last year with Devon McCourty at CB and Julian Edelman playing the nickel for part of the second half and playoffs?

You don't have to have topflight cornerbacks to win. You have to either have a topflight pass rush or a topflight QB and it doesn't hurt to have both.

19. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Can we go one day without having every thread tuen into to one about Sanchez.

For one, teams don't give away franchise QBs hence the word "FRANCHISE". Sanchez is a franchise QB whether you like him or not.

Revis will not be traded nor should he be. He is the best player in the NFL. Do we always have to get rid of what's going right? Revis can cover any WR in the NFL without any trouble. Let's hang on to him.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Why would anyone trade us a franchise qb for a cb?