AMC's The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Mr Electric, May 11, 2010.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I can't believe this is actually a debate.

2. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Grown men arguing about who knows more because they read comics....

3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I thought the ending was pretty good...Just gotta hope the show brings in more zombies

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

When comic books contain the source that the topic is based on (TV show) they make for a great reference. The people that lived on the farm were horrified when Rick's group used the zombies for target practice. To Rick's group it was just like any other day until they saw Sophia. To survive under those conditions, they had to make decisions and sacrifices that would have been unthinkable to them before.

Rick knew that anyone alive at that point had to lower their moral compass to survive. For a warm meal or a safe place to stay, those two would have gladly killed every member of Rick's group without thinking twice about it.

They were bad news before they brought up the subject of women. Dale and Shane are ready to kill each other over the only availble woman under 30. Add two more young guys who haven't gotten any and violence happens sooner than later. Think these two will back off becuase Lori and Maggie are taken (like Shane does with Lori)? Think again.

Rick did not only what he had to do but what he was trained to do. Shane would have wasted less time talking and would have taken them out sooner.

5. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Some really good stuff this week. Kind of a backward episode. We had the suspense and action in the first half and then dialogue and character development in the second half. Seems inevitable that Rick is going to have to kill Shane (or vice-versa....which won't happen).

Things at the farm are falling apart and walkers are closing in. Should make from for a strong close to the season....only 4 episodes left.

6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

This show seems to be getting stale. Maybe it's just me, but the plots take forever to develop because so much unnecessary time is taken for petty emotional drama. All of their problems are human related. The show is barely about zombies at all. It started out great, but season 2 has pretty much gone nowhere and everybody has such terrible attitudes about everything. They could have covered that whole mess in 2 to 3 episodes, but I'm losing interest fast. Since they don't have that many episodes per season, they should move the storyline along faster. This is like Stargate Universe all over again. The show could take place in a barn in South Dakota and be just as relevant to the plot.

#686 Barcs, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  7. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

"I was in a gunfight, but didn't shoot back because the whole time I was sitting there thinking about tapping your fine ass."

8. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

I guess I’m in the minority here, but I am still glued to the show. I admit that I’m ready for them to most past the farm, the setting has gotten old, but I don’t believe that’s going to happen until next season at this point.

The show has become more about the relationships between the characters and telling their struggles to figure things out in the world now. I love this kind of stuff because it defines characters and strengthens your understanding of them. You develop a rooting interest for people.

Season 1 was great, it established the zombie threat and the suspense was awesome, I loved the Atlanta episodes. However, if every episode was a “chase” episode where the characters are running away from zombies, that would get old and stale pretty quick. There’s only so much you can do with that. I like what the show is doing. I also realize they’re working with a lot smaller budget this year, so that may be why they aren’t moving around as much, but I’m cool with it. Still one of the best non-comedy shows on TV imo.

9. Roger Vick

Roger Vick Banned

Best show on television.

I can see how a lot of you losers would be lost or bored, but it's obviously aimed at a more intelligent and sophisticated audience than you losers.

Don't watch anymore. Get lost. Fags.

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

clearly by your reply it certainly is attracting and appealing to an intelligent and sophisticated audience.

11. DeathByJets

I agree. I don't really understand the haters. If you want non-stop zombie action, play a video game. Any good TV show (LOST, Breaking Bad, Dexter, TWD) is about the characters. The circumstances (mysterious island, meth production, serial killer, zombie apocalypse) just provide the motivation. Look at a show like "V". That show was all genre, no character development. And it sucked.

I thought the last 3 episodes were great. The rest of this season should be just as strong. My guess is that watching this season on DVD/Blu-ray as consecutive episodes will flow much better than it did in broadcast (similar to Season 3 of LOST).

12. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Intelligent post.

13. abyzmul

It's a show about zombies.

I mean, it's a fucking show about ZOMBIES.

Sophisticated??????

14. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

People want non stop zombie action because the characters/actors suck and are not interesting. No one ever complained there weren't enough gunfights in Deadwood. This show in particular is doubly frustrating to people who have read the comic books because there the characters and their stories are very interesting and even though the same guy who writes the comic books writes for the show all we've gotten so far has been dreck.

15. abyzmul

Yep. Seems like the same people that defended Heroes to their own shame are also going to do the same with this show.

16. DeathByJets

Heroes? Seriously? After Season 1 that was the biggest pile of garbage on TV.

I don't even know where to start with that.

Regarding 3rd and 15's comic comment, I somewhat liken it to Harry Potter. IMO those movies are terrible....because I loved the books. However, I don't see much point in arguing with people who like the movies. They have their merits...just not for me. I don't read comics, so I have no basis for comparison on TWD. However, I find the TV show to be excellent and WAY above 90 percent of the rest of TV.

17. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

GLENNsanity!

18. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Watching Sunday's episode now. This show is better than Lost.

19. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

There's a difference between minor nerd nitpicks and what they're doing with the TWD. But even that isn't the problem honestly, its not the fact that they made changes, it's that all the changes suck. If you're going to do a "character driven" show you need writers able to churn out great dialogue and good actors capable of delivering that dialogue and this show has neither IMO.

It's very tough to have a huge ensemble cast like this and have them all be good. I can only think of a handful of shows that managed to pull it off. Lost at least had a few guys that could pick up the slack for the shitty actors but TWD has no one.

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

To me, the problem is that the plot stopped, became stagnant and less interesting. Character development is important, but it should never be the entire basis of the show. Last season we learned about how bad the city was, the backstory of a lot of characters, the CDC, how the virus works and much more. This year the main theme is human struggles and social issues like abortion, gun control, value of zombie life, emotional drama, people making dumb mistakes and not following logic. How many episodes were wasted looking for a little girl? You don't need non stop zombie action all the time, but throw us a damn bone. I mean come on, at least have some kind of a plot related to the main theme of the show. Obsessive unnecessary character development is what killed Stargate Universe and subsequently the franchise. Lost did it right (until the last season), and this mess of a show can't hold a candle to Lost. The characters are not interesting and their drama makes me disgusted. The dialogue is terrible. Dexter, Breaking Bad and Lost are miles ahead of this show. Maybe it doesn't help that most of the characters are trailer trash. I guess I just prefer to watch a show with intelligent characters. V sucked because the plot was stupid. These evil aliens are on earth to take over but try their best to do it in a nice way.. simply dumb. The characters weren't bad at all on that show.

Anyways, I'm not giving up on this show just yet. I'll give it till the end of the season, hopefully it picks up and stops wasting time on crap like morning after pills and crazy emotional hellbent woman demonstrates women can't drive and makes irrational decision to go after her husband and leaves her kid alone without a mother. We'll see.

#700 Barcs, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012