Cavanaugh will be back as QB coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Yeah, I was referring to a QB w/ zero playoff wins.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It must be awesome to be Cavanaugh knowing how hard the Jets tried to replace you but failed.

3. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

What Sanchez needs is to learn to read defenses. Either he does that or he's just another high-priced, waste of a draft pick bust ala Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, JP Losman, Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, J'Marcus Russell et al.

4. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

He may have a way to go in order to live up to expectations but lumping him in with a bunch of all-out busts is just stupid. Jamarcus? Give me a break.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I think that most people around the NFL see that the Jets have already tried to give Sanchez all he can to succeed, only to see him regress in his third year.

Why do you think none of those five candidates took the job? Maybe they hate Rex Ryan?

6. Big Blocker

What Schein said makes sense to me, but people can delude themselves, especially with some encouragement.

Ryan and Tanny could say that Sparano as the new OC was entitled to look around for a new Qb coach, but having done so, thought in the end that Cavanaugh was the best available.

Works for Matt I would guess. And of coures he will be paid.

As for the "opportunity" to work with an obviously up and coming talent like Mark Sanchez, I am shocked, shocked, that a whole host of coachas was not beating the doors down.

But maybe they just don't like Ryan.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I am still appalled by this non-move (along with the non-move on Wayne Fucking Hunter.)

Need results? Jesus Christ. Look at how Testaverde was doing with Bucs and Browns (= Ravens later.) He never posted anything better than sub-90 QB rating with less-than 60% completion ratio. Does that sound like someone we know?

And that Testaverde had 101.6 QB rating with 29/7 TD/INT ratio while completing 61.5% for the first time in his ENTIRE FUCKING CAREER - in his FIRST EVER SEASON with Jets, nonetheless. True, Charlie Weis was the OC at that time, but if Weis was such a huge part of Vinny's success, then that doesn't explain Pennington's success after Weis bolted. If you are going to running E/P system, the QB coach for you is sitting right there EVEN AS WE SPEAK.

I was really hoping to see either Dan Henning or Paul Hackett (Henning would be my preferred choice) so I absolutely hate this.

8. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I know you said it was unlikely, but I think it's probably a done deal. I read on another site that someone asked Moore if he was coming back to the Jets and he said he doubted it because he hadn't heard one word from them. Nice. Totally unprofessional. At the very least he deserves enough respect and appreciation for them to tell him something. To ask if he wants to continue or thank him for his services, but say they're moving in another direction or something. Tanny is a real douchebag.

9. MikeTheJetsFan

What an awful list of Quarterbacks you just compared him to.

He might not make it as a long-term QB, but he's not even in the same league as those busts.

Even if you remove winning and playoff contributions from consideration, his numbers aren't even close to those names. Don't believe me? I'll run you the #s if so.

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Sanchez has won more playoff games than your precious Harvard boy ever did.

Now shut the fuck up.

11. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Your first point is a good one -- you can't really claim that keeping Cavanaugh was about continuity when you've made no effort to keep anything else stable around Sanchez.

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

To even put him in the same sentence w/ those QBs is insanely laughable. It's impossible w/ the success Sanchez has had to ever be linked w/ that group.

13. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

It didn't say we offered any of them the job. Maybe none of them were better than Cavanaugh.

14. Big Blocker

They had to be perceived as probable upgrades, otherwise the Jets would have been stupid to even interview them.

Interviews at this level are more about negotiations and whehter the candidate will fit in rather than an occasion for an assessment of talent. It's not like they are interviewing someone they know nothing about, and are in part trying to make sure the person sitting across the desk is the same one who is described in the wonderful resume you based the scheduling of the interview on.

NFL FO's damn well better know the talent and ability of any coaches brought in for interviews or they are incompetent and wasting time.

No, I am sure the five candidates interviewed were at least perceived to be upgrades, and they did not take the job because of something other than lack of talent.

15. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Sigh, this probably means the Sanchez is going to be back for another 30 turnover season.

Bad move.

16. RocklandJetsFan17

RocklandJetsFan17 New Member

Sanchez is not a draft bust

Well said, he is way too criticized. Despite contrary belief, he hasn't had phenomenal receivers around him his whole career. I'm anxious to see how he does with Sparano. Sanchez is already in no way a draft bust. Ryan Leaf would've loved to have had Sanchez's career.

17. winsalata

winsalata New Member

Ugh!!! Not a fan of him

18. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

We always have to hold on to the past. We can never just get rid of people and every memory of them lol We're like that ex-girlfriend that reminds you she still has an article of your clothing.

19. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

So, if the FO already did their homework and felt that any of these guys would be potential upgrades as QB coach before wasting their time going through with the interview process, don't you think that the potential candidates also did their homework and knew who the Jets QB was? Why the hell would they waste their time if they already knew that they didn't want the job because they would be working with Sanchez?

Your argument makes no sense.

20. Big Blocker

You don't know the way the NFL works.

You get a call from an NFL team. They ask you to come in for an interview. You turn them down out of hand? No, as a courtesy at the very least you go in and hear what they have to say.

Do you know in advance what position they are thinking about you for? Perhaps, but most likely not. As it was EVERYBODY knows the Jets were looking to hire someone like Haley would be "working with" Sparano on the passing game.

Do you as the recipient of the call KNOW that the Jets are going to start Mark Sanchez next year no matter what? No, you don't know that.

Do you know how much they are going to offer to pay you? Not yet.

Do you think if you turn down the request to come in for an interview, whether you will ever get another call from the Jets down the road? That one I think you can answer. No you won't.

So you go, you hear it is only for the Qb coaching job, and they don't offer you so much money you'll never have to work again.

And they say we expect you to work with Mark Sanchez.

And five such people said no thanks.

I know this Cavanaugh business must hurt the rose colored optimism of Sanchez Homers, but it's not my fault it happene that way. Schein tweeted that take on it, not me. It's not my fault none of those five took the job.