Top free agents for next season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Mason

Mason New Member

Receiver is our biggest need if we're to have any kind of an offense, but if you're happy with the offense we've had over the past few years, then by all means, continue having Santonio be your #1 guy, and bring in junkyard parts instead of ordering from the dealer.

We need to get Michael Floyd, or bring in a top FA receiver. Holmes will just not cut it at #1.

2. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Holmes cut it @ #1 2 years ago.

And every other year of his nfl career.

Maybe what we need is a legit #2 so that hes not smothered every play.

Bigtime passing offenses spread the ball, in order to spread the ball you need people to spread it to.

Very very few teams have an offense where you can only chuck it up to one guy.

And the ones that do have guys named Calvin and Andre

3. gangjet

gangjet New Member

In my opinion, I believe Sanchez has to be protected in order for him to work. Take a look at the "elite" QBs in the league and will find a strong OL around them. My prefer choice of FA list would be Carl Nics. he has done an excellent job in NO protecting Drew Brees, and he'll do with Sanchez a well.

4. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

Edwards #1 Holmes #2 remember Sparano ground and pound. We need to use that # 16 pick on some speed for the defense. Our defense is old and slow in the LB-S positions.

5. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

How would you re-arrange the line?

6. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Exactly! What's the point of having a great defensive mind like Rex as your HC then not giving him any real playmakers to work with other than Revis? Further, one starting OLB is already gone and the next will be gone next year. This is an excellent draft for OLBs. You have to draft to the strength of the draft. The Jets need to get two new OLBs. To say that WR is a greater need, is just ridiculous and totally wrong.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Turner did not see the field much early in the season. He showed more as the season wound down. I don't think anyone here would say he showed a diverse game, an ability to do lots of things at receiver, as yet. But the point is given the needs to be addressed elsewhere, and the assumption the Jets upgrade the #2 wideout, going with Turner at #4 seems an acceptable risk.

8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Priority one is to fix the OL. We have too much invested in Mangold and Brick for that unit to suck as bad as it did last year.

9. Big Blocker

Nice post. OLB is a definite need for upgrade. Pace will be back one more year given his contract, from what I gather. And I think too many here diss the year he had this past season. Whether he comes back in 13 will depend, but with Thomas likely gone, and Maybin and Westerman at most showing potential of improvement (this applies more to Maybin, imo) but already a decent combo as role players at ROLB, THIS is the year to go OLB in the draft.

The Jets' linebackers individually have talent, but as a group with Scott, Pace and even Harris, are getting older and are generally in need of more speed. Get a young fast LB with a high draft pick.

I think this is so obvious, I will be very disappointed if they don't go OLB in no lower than the second round.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yes, as we've seen if the offensive line isn't controlling the flow in the trenches nothing else works on offense and the Jets can't win in that situation.

ROLB is becoming a crying need and safety is a hole but the offense as a whole is holding the team back right now.

11. Big Blocker

Imo it is such crying need that it should be filled with an FA rather than a draft pick. ROLB makes more senes as a high draft pick, since the need for upgrade there is more medium term than at RT.

To upgrade the OL, a superstar is not necessary either, so it doesn't have to be a break the bank move in FA. An average RT will be a huge upgrade over Hunter.

12. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I think a low end FA is the ONLY reasonable solution for #2, then drafting a mid round rookie (3rd-5th) to win out the 4

13. RocklandJetsFan17

RocklandJetsFan17 New Member

Pass rusher is the biggest need by far! This defense would dominate with just one player whoc an get pressure on his own. I swear if we take that Alabama back in the first round I'm gonna flip. As good as Maybin is, signing an underweight former draft bust off waivers is not the solution. If the Jets had a pass rushing OLB the defense would be easily the best in the league.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I get that we need a pass rusher and we need to upgrade at OLB, but our defense has been top 5 ever since Rex arrived. The offense is what we need to upgrade most IMO. I don't understand why so many see OLB and S as our biggest needs when the defense has been good while the offense has struggled and we have clear holes at RT and WR.

15. RocklandJetsFan17

RocklandJetsFan17 New Member

Needs

RT and WR are definitely needs, I just think defense drives this team. It has been top 5 in the Rex era yes, but can you imagine if there were a true pass rusher? The defense took a step back this year. I don't the team can just assume it's going to be solid every year, it needs to be maintained. WR is a position that can be easily filled IMO. Finding a decent tackle shouldn't be too hard either. This is why I want them to draft a pass rusher.

16. franzman9

franzman9 Member

MIKE TOLBERT!!!

I would love to have this guy on the team. Runs hard, can catch the ball and is never injured. Suprised that no one is talking about him.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Of course the D needs to be maintained. I think Rex has proven that they can do more with less on defense. We haven't seen that at all on the offensive side.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to taking an OLB or any defensive position other than CB at #16 so long as they were clearly BPA.

18. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

MARIO WILLIAMS we have no choice but to sign this guy!

ESPN NFL business analyst Andrew Brandt confirms that the Texans would have to pay free agent Mario Williams $21.99 million if they franchise tagged him.
    There was uncertainty about Williams' franchise number because he played last season for a $13.8 million salary. Undisclosed was a bonus that made Williams one of the highest paid defensive ends in football, and requires the Texans to pay him 120 percent of his 2011 earnings in order to tag him for 2012. Simply put, franchise tagging Mario Williams is not an option for Houston.

19. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Why? Because Thomas is gone and Pace will be gone after this season? Who will start at OLB? The Jets have been getting killed by teams with good TEs because there is little or no consistent pass rush. THAT's why it's the biggest need.

Tanny has already spent most of his draft picks on offense. That almost never happens. Usually when a new HC comes in, the GM tends to draft more players for the side of the ball that the new HC coached. Not so with Tanny. Revis is the only playmaker on D. So what if Rex has been able to get the D to be in the top 5 with the players he has? They've been far from dominant, can't get off the field on 3rd down, and they haven't thrown a lot of shutouts. With the type of offense that Rex wants, they're probably not going to score a lot of points, so it will be more crucial than ever than the Jets' D is able to stop teams.

The hole at RT can be filled with a decent FA and a mid-round draft pick. The hole at WR is less important because the Jets will be running the ball a lot more. They just need a WR with speed who can stretch the field. There are a ton of them in the draft. Luckily this is a strong and deep draft at WR. They should double dip at WR just as they do at OLB in this draft. That should go a long way towards solving those holes/problems.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

But it's the offense that has been sucking. The defense hasn't been great, but it's been good. I don't care how many picks have been spent on the offensive side of the ball, they need more talent on offense. We've also spent quite a few draft picks on the defensive side that weren't necessarily draft picks (jenkins, sheppard, cromartie).

Why couldn't we fill the hole at OLB with a decent FA to mid-round pick? A guy like Jarret Johnson could be a good stop gap replacement for Bryan Thomas - assuming Bryan Thomas couldn't play. There are a couple of other guys we could use too.