Brandon Jacobs Interested in the Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BakerMaker, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

I totally agree. I was pretty disappointed that McKnight didn't end up producing more last season because he's the type of guy that we need to compliment Greene. We'll just have to wait and see how it all shakes out under the new offensive system.

In any case, still a definite NO on Jacobs.

2. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Wasn't McKnight injured for half the season? Wasn't Greene injured for the entire season?

We need another running back no doubt. Jacobs is definitely not the answer.

Holmes for MJD

Ground 'N Pound!

3. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

When he was healthy and getting carries he wasn't very impressive IMO.

4. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

Why would any Jets fan want to root for this guy?
    I don't even know any Giants fans who like him.
    SAY NO!

5. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Fuck Jacobs. No no no no no!

Free agent RB list:

Ray Rice *
    Matt Forte *
    Michael Bush *
    Marshawn Lynch
    Peyton Hillis
    Cedric Benson
    Mike Tolbert
    Kevin Smith
    Jason Snelling
    Justin Forsett
    BenJarvus Green-Ellis
    Tim Hightower
    Steve Slaton
    Cadillac Williams
    LaDainian Tomlinson
    Ronnie Brown
    Ryan Grant
    Jackie Battle
    Sammy Morris
    Mewelde Moore
    Maurice Morris
    Earnest Graham
    Chester Taylor
    Kevin Faulk
    Tashard Choice
    Derrick Ward
    Thomas Jones
    Jerious Norwood
    LenDale White
    Rock Cartwright

I'd love to take a flyer on the perpetually injured Kevin Smith.

6. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

No, he is not better than anyone we have. He is washed up. He'll be 30 when the season starts, is extremely injury prone, and can not catch. With Bradshaw out, they had to use their third stringer in passing downs (Ware?). Shonn Greene has a much quicker initial burst, can catch on the run and is yet to reach his prime. Jacobs is slow at age 30, never had a burst to tear up defenses and again, can not be Sanchez' safety blanket as a pass catcher. He is big and can be really good in goal line situations where he can generate that extra half a yard push, but besides that, I'd even take McKnight over Jacobs.

7. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Where as its true Shonn hasn't had break out runs, he reminds me a little bit of the hall of famer, Curtis Martin. When Martin won the rushing title, his longest run was 25 yards. Where as those long gains are great, I'd prefer to take a back that can gain 3+ yards on every play. Chris Johnson is great at breaking long gains, but he'll have on big play after 15 touches, might end up with a TD, but he'll also put the team in a hole with 2nd and longs and 3rd and longs.

Shonn Greene absolutely should be resigned. He definitely won't demand CJ2K money.

8. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Would love to have Ray Rice, local kid, beast. Too bad that won't happen.

9. oret78

oret78 New Member

Just what we need, another slow power back.

10. JetsVilma28

Idk bro.

He has had some pretty good games for us. Year 1, the kid was totally out of shape, but had that nice Buffalo game 100+ yds. Last year, the games he played in, I thought he was productive (who knew he was a decent receiver). Our o-line blew (mangold was injured 3 games) and we really never got a complete game from Mcknight.

This year I expect a break out year or you are right, he is a just a special teams guy.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Greene doesn't set up his blocks and make people miss like Martin. He also doesn't hold a candle to his receiving abilities. You refer to his longest run of 25 yards which was the shortest of his career and after 10 years of miles on his legs. Martin wasn't a big game breaker, but he was more of one than Greene ever will be.

12. JetsVilma28

Not to mention Greene looked like he was playing through a considerable amount of pain last season. He was slow to get up after every carry. I hope to see a 90%+ Greene next season. Greene needs someone to complement and I believe Greene is the real deal.

My only knocks on Greene are:
    1) Getting the engine started (seems like he is a much better 2nd half of the year back) which i don't mind if we can ride him into the playoffs
    2) staying healthy (man always getting injured) although he plays through it unlike Abraham, really need to see a healthy Greene
    3) Hold onto the football. Didn't have as many problems last season, but this dude does have a knack for letting the football hit the turf. Hopefully, he can continue to improve holding onto the rock.

13. JetsVilma28

QFT

Martin is a special back that we were so lucky to have.

#4 all-time. That's a pretty impressive stat.

Hall of Fame!

14. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I can pick several examples of great backs, but I picked Curtis and showed how his best season only had a long of 25. The reason why Shonn reminds me of Curtis is because Curtis didn't have those flashy stats every year. He was a consistent 3+ YPC rusher. He wouldn't have too many runs fewer than 3 yards, but he also wouldn't have several long gains.

And yes, Martin was on a different planet when it comes to catching, and thats not even debateable. I do think Shonn is more powerful than Martin and gains that last extra yard due to his power.

15. JetsVilma28

Martin was a better side to side running back, but he also had power. AP reminds me more of Martin than any other back currently in the league. Martin use to drill the big name linebackers in the AFCE like Zach Thomas and Teddi Bruschi.

16. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Thats a great point. He wasn't even close to 100% for most of the season. Also, he had a very good year holding on to the ball this year. I believe he had one fumble, and zero fumbles lost.

17. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Absolutely. Only reason why Shonn reminds me of Martin is simply due to the fact Martin never had huge gains and still maintained a 4+ ypc average, which Shonn is currently doing.

Heres the difference between Martin and CJ2K:

Martin, 25 carries, 100 yards, longest 12 yards
    CJ2K, 25 carries, 100 yards, longest 45 yards

This is of course an example, but it reflects how Martins career played out, and how CJ2K's has performed. You take out CJ2K's longest play and he has 24 carries for 55 yards. You take out Martins longest run and he still has 88 yards on 24 carries. I'd take Martin, the all-time durable and reliable back, over CJ2K, aka the home run hitter.

18. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

It might be nice to have another horse, having an extra power back would be good. We NEED another running back in a big way. I'd like to see them talk to Marshawn Lynch instead. If the offensive line dosent improve, Jacobs would be the best fit.
    I think it would be worth talking to Jacobs, what kind of deal we can get him for. If we are going to be a 3 yards and a cloud of turf offense AKA GROUND AND POUND we need more than an 1 power back, and old man who can catch passes, and 2 young players who havent done much. We need another running back or 2! end of story

#58 Jets1035, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

That wasn't his best season imo.

20. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Thats an opinion, and its certainly debateable both ways, but you get my point.