Top free agents for next season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Jan 2, 2012.

1. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

If we decide not to pick up Braylon, I would like to see us go after Garcon. He can't want too much $ right?

2. patfanken

patfanken Banned

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

Yeah its easier said than done, and we will be lucky if we get even 3 starters or players that can make an impact from the draft. And even if we solve 3 or so holes, which is completely possible in one offseason (look at the Texans- solved the CB position, both safety positions, DE and OLB/passrush), we will be in playoff contention.

Dont make it seem like I expect every rookie pick to be the immediate answer/solution... Because I dont think anyone is that dumb to think that.

5. Professor Frink

It's a little odd to me how many people in this thread view Braylon Edwards as some kind of savior. I never thought he was that great a receiver, and now he is coming off a serious knee issue. His career is in doubt at this point, and there is no guarantee he will be the player he was in the past.

The other, more pressing issue, is whether or not he would even want to sign here. Obviously he wasn't happy about how he was treated last year, and if you're gonna sign a one-year prove-it deal, you're gonna wanna go somewhere you have a chance to produce. This weak-ass passing offense isn't exactly a plum location. He might fit better with a team like New Orleans or Detroit, where he'll have a shot at putting up some real numbers.

6. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I think they view Braylon as a savior since he should be cheap and he entertained the thought of coming here via twitter. He said he loves the Jets fans and would think about. A buffalo fan asked him to come, and he replied "LOL".
    People, like myself, remember how Braylon and Tone fed off each other perfectly and I still feel they can do that. He also was a very good run blocker and Sanchez and him had real good chemistry while he stretched the field. Any cheap deep threat would do, but as of now it seems Braylon is the most viable option.

I don't know if that answers your question, but that is why many assume he is a possibility.

7. Phear

Phear New Member

His injury wasn't as serious as you make it out to be. His career isn't close to being in doubt.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. His knee issue is a very serious one. If he can't recover from it (I would hope he can) then he's pretty much a goner.

2. When healthy, he was a prolific downfield threat, with pretty good hands (at least for the Jets.) His presence opened up underneath space for short and intermediate route, as well as the running game. It doesn't have to be Braylon - a fast, physical and tall receiver is desperately needed in current Jets offense. Braylon happens to have good chemistry with Sanchez already, and should come cheap (if healthy). That is a lot better than any other option out there. That's all the logic behind it. Not really because Braylon Edwards is top 3 receiver that can lift any offense all on his shoulders and carry the team.

3. Whether he wants to come here on a 1 year gamble is a problem of perspective; if the offense takes off again, (surely there are a lot of other hidden factors at play but) then it should be clear (at least to the Jets brass) that Edwards is an integral part of the offense that they can't do without. I don't think money is the issue - he was paid already unlike Holmes. If he wants to come to NY and stay, then this year is his chance. If he's looking to go elsewhere, probably the likes of NO or GB would be a better option.

9. Professor Frink

IF he's healthy, and IF he can be what he was before, and IF he's willing to sign on the cheap, then it is certainly a good idea. I don't think it's a bad idea to go after him, but it IS a bad idea to rely on him to come and fix everything. He comes with a lot of question marks and uncertainty.

10. laxin

laxin Active Member

On a side note, do you want Peyton in a Jets uniform?

11. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I know a lot of people were a fan of him last year

12. NYDeadEye

NYDeadEye Member

Well while it may be bullshit he was commenting on how his knee is the best it's felt in a long time..but who knows if he's just doing that schtick for FA.

I don't think anyone really thinks he's going to be the savior but considering how cap situation, current locker room chemistry and issues, how many other needs we have...he's the perfect fit if he can be healthy.

He's not going to lift the offense on his back but he's able to get separation, he's a deep threat and that will open up the running game and give it credibility again and the guy got along great with the team and Sanchez. I doubt he'll find a team that will give him a large amount of money. If he does, kudos to him but I think we'd be able to get him on the cheap because of his injury, previous off the field problems, and the guy loves NY (supposedly).

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Eh. Just reminds me of Eric Smith- white special teams player who can play a some defensive snaps in certain packages.

14. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

more likely than not lee evans will be let go after dropping that catch in the afccg, would evans be a good fit for the jets?

15. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

You really think the coach with the best winning percentage of all time for the Jets is a dead man walking? After 2 AFC championship games and one .500 season? C'mon man.

16. Organized Chaos

The Jets need to get a #2 borderline #1 WR ,and then fill out some depth after that. No big deal.

He had his best season statistically this year. I'm not sure where you get "regressed" from. He was 6th in the NFL in receiving yards as a TE.

He's not a good blocking TE, he's actually pretty good as a receiving TE. We might need a new TE that can block and catch, but that decision can be made a year from now when Keller's contract is up.

McKnight went for 3.7 a carry in the one game he started against the Broncos. Powell is unproven, but at some point will get his shot. Greene ran for 1000 yards and averaged 4.1. Not great, but not horrible.

The Jets probably will add a RB, it seems like they do every year. I wouldn't feel bad about heading into the season with Greene/McKnight/Powell as long as the O-Line was upgraded.

Well you don't NEED to do that but you should. The problem with the Mangold injury iirc wasn't just that his backup was less talented, it was that Mangold was the only guy who knew how to make the line calls.

Yeah, but it's kind of pointless if they're just going to start him no matter what. This isn't a crisis.

I don't think the Jets need to enter "rebuilding" mode. They simply need another decent WR, and a starting RT.

The rest of what they need are backups. #4 and #5 WRs, backup O-Linemen, backup QB, maybe a backup RB. The situation on offense isn't that dire.

On defense, the glaring need for help is at saftey. After that we could use some younger linebackers, one of whom would hopefully be a pass rusher.

The Jets have some holes to fix this offseason, but what team doesn't? They could use some more depth, but then again what other NFL team doesn't need that either?

17. Professor Frink

Honestly, I would be so stunned I don't know how I would feel. I really don't think there's any chance it's gonna happen, but if it does I'll be sure to check in here with an opinion.

18. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

If our oline isnt fixed...

19. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Sign this beast
    lol he might just be worse than the soon to be Ocho rumors. Guarentee hes tied to us till he signs

#399 dcm1602, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  20. Organized Chaos

I would be great if all the over the hill WR's went to one team, maybe the Jaguars and NFL films made a reality show out of the whole season.