Dear Rex Ryan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Wahoo, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

I'll catch hell for this, but right now I don't give a shit -

Dear Rex Ryan,

Thank you for one of the worst seasons I have been through as a Jet fan. And after 44 mostly futile years, thats saying something. Your big fucking mouth and ineptness as a head coach has made me, for the first time, reticent to admit I am a Jet fan. Everyone wants to blame Sanchez, Shottenheimer, Tannenbaum, Holmes, the O line, etc, but you know what? You're the friggin head coach and it comes down to you. As the team fell apart, it was obvious that you had no clue how to deal with a team or keep tabs on a team or to fix what the problem was. And yet you kept running your mouth. And now the Jets are laughingstocks again, after twice being one game from the SB. (and let's stop hanging our hats on that, ok? The Giants sure didn't settle for that). Shit, even the Giants field goal kicker was crapping on us today. Know why? Your big mouth and failure to back it up. I hope I'm wrong, but this team is in such a state that I don't see you being able to fix it, even if you had the ability, over one summer. Which means you have one more season as Jets head coach. And, I realize now, that's probably a good thing. Hope you enjoyed the Super Bowl. Thanks again, Rex.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Dear whiny Jet fans: you deserve 1996

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I now declare this thread a "Free Fire Zone"..

4. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Overreact much? Worst season, and you have seen 44 of them? Clearly not the worst season... I have a hard time counting anything worse than the Rich Kotite era... remember me, 4-12??

Dear Coach Ryan,

Our dear fan Wahoo would like to eat your shorts.

:breakdance:

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yean, frustration is one thing, but worst seaon in 44 years is a collosal overstatement. And worst coaching? Worst FO effort? You don't even have to go back to the Kotite era, how about having Chad and Fiedler go down in one game and the Jets had to play a totally unprepared Bollinger? And why'd they get Fiedler anyway as Chad's backup? He was even more fragile than Chad.

Or changing out Pete Kendall for Bender and Clarke???

How about watching the Jets bring in Mirer to replace Vinny?

Ftr I can think of several seasons even since Kotite that were clearly worse than this past one.

6. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

3 wins in 2 seasons is a colossal clusterfuck. Remember that?

Going 8-8 used to be a good season for the Jets.

Now, thinking 8-8 is a disaster makes me realize that Rex has really raised the bar for this franchise and its fanbase. I realize I've only been paying attention to the Jets for almost 3 decades, but I don't ever remember this fanbase thinking 8-8 is a disaster.

Colossal overreaction.

7. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

Just plain stupid.

8. Fatman&Robin

Fatman&Robin Member

Being frustrated is fair. As is criticism of Rex (which many fans here would like you not to believe). But this? This is just nonsense.

9. Big Blocker

although I agree it is a colossal overreaction, as I more or less said myself, the fact is it is incorrrect to say this past season was merely an 8-8 season in the context of a team history where some years you'd be thrilled to have gotten to 8-8.

The difference is that 8-8 follows two Champ game appearances, and is therefore a step backward. It also was a season where dissension in the team became apparent, in turn apparently over a fervent difference of opinion about the team's starting Qb, and by extension the CS and FO for allegedly coddling him, at the same time the HC said he lost touch of the team. Add in that for several reasons the former notion that the Jets were a team that other players, those in a position to choose in FA, would prefer to play for the Jets, is over for all practical purposes.

How then to reverse this downward trend and get back on the upswing?

8-8, if on the way down and not a temporary setback, looks a lot worse than 8-8 on the way up.

10. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm missing something. Is all the rage in the last 24 hours on this board coming from the fact that the Giants won the Superbowl and we didn't?

Because I'm pretty sure a week ago, and 5 for that matter, we weren't winning it either.

We went 8-8 this year after an off-season of fairly questionable "upgrades," a situation in which we had 19 unsigned free agents coming into the year, no OTA's, no training camp at Cortland, where Rex truly feels a lot of the chemistry building is done, and a stint mid-season in which our offensive line was in shambles to the point where we had a different guy hiking the ball 3 times in 3 consecutive series in Baltimore. Anybody who REALLY looked at this team on opening day and said that we were destined to win it all this year wasn't looking at it objectively at all.

So looking forward, we have a better free agency situation, a full off-season, a full slate of (higher than ever in the Rex era) draft choices, the departure of the most serious focus of hatred for Jet fans in the last decade (schotty), a return to an offensive philosophy that includes a heavy run emphasis and a man-blocking scheme, and a head coach and front office that have for the first time been dealt a heaping spoonful of humble pie.

Yeah this year was a disappointment, but compared to 07, 03, 99, and so many more that I'd rather not relive, that's all this season was...a disappointment.

Not a calamity. Not a "we're fucked for 5 years" rebuilding process, not a reason to burn all your green and white gear.

Watch the ticker-tape parade and be pissed if you want that it's not us. But we're not in as bad shape as everyone's crying about this morning.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

....like rats off a sinking ship! hope you drown.

12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

You know what this is the same phoney/baloney I have been watching, hearing, listening to for he last 43 years!

In case you are unaware in those 43 years the NYJs have won NOTHING! :sad:

13. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

just the way this season ended makes everyone here pissed...but I'm gonna go with the fix now for 1 season no chemistry attempt to win a SB strategy not working.

14. Big Blocker

Here's my concern about this position. Let's assume that is what has happened. Ftr I think there's real risk in an approach that amounts to taking a more "patient" approach when doing so means nothing more than sticking with some key players who are not getting it done and expecting a different result.

But here's the thing - I don't think it's like Tanny and his assistants started out saying we could do this or we could dothat, we could try this and we ended up doing what we did because we chose it.

No. I think the way Tanny has managed the roster is the way he knows how to manage the roster, and it is far from clear to me that he has a different and effective alternative strategy in him.

15. jet setter

jet setter New Member

Be a fan or not be a fan. Im a jet fan for better or worse,and I claim them and everything they have and have not given me!

16. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Its been 4 weeks for us to stew at 8-8. Quite frankly the season is over and every team is 0-0. The Giants won the SuperBowl great for them and in about 2 weeks it'll all be over. Step 1 of the process for building next season is complete (coaching overhauls). Next come player signings and finally the draft. If you don't think the team and the coaching staff took a long hard look at themselves then you are probably mis-informed. We will get there one day gentlemen and when we do lets wreak havoc on every other fanbase in America.

17. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

18. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

19. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

20. DeutschlandFan

DeutschlandFan New Member

Worst season ever?
    Overreact much?

Do you happen to remember 1996 and 1997 under Rich Kotite? A 3-13 record, followed up in '97 by a 1-15 record.
    What about the Bruce Coslet years when winning 8 games was considered reason enough to have a parade?
    Or Pete Carroll who was Bruce Coslet 2.0?

I understand that you are frustrated since we had such high expectations, but there is no way in hell, no matter how you look at it, that this year was worst ever. Granted, we are not good right now, but we are a hell of a lot better then those teams in the early to mid-90s (for whatever that's worth).

#20 DeutschlandFan, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012