Do you want to see Peyton Manning in a Jets uniform next season?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jb1095, Jan 20, 2012.

?

Do you want to see Peyton Manning in a Jets uniform next season?

1. Yes

159 vote(s)
    41.4%
  2. No

225 vote(s)
    58.6%
  1. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Do I want possibly the best QB of all time on the Jets? Nahhhhh Nooooo no way.

Gayest question ever.

2. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Now what....

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The weak are lead down the path of destruction. The strong forge their own path instead.

4. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Now we sign the beast, wait for him to be close to 100% in September, and start planning for a parade next February..

5. Nyi28nhl

Nyi28nhl New Member

A guy coming off 3 neck surgeries who we'll get 2-3 years out of? No thanks.

I did photoshop him into a Jets uniform though for fun. I'll post it whenever I get to 50 posts (if that ever happens. Been lurking for years, only have 12 at this point).

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He has only had one parade in his career and it was for a team tailored and built around his ability. The Jets aren't even close to complimenting his ability. And he chokes in the playoffs like a dog most times.

#846 abyzmul, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  7. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Jesus, the negativity.

Why cant you be excited about the possibility since it likely represents the best chance the have of winning it all next year.

8. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Because that's a remotely FALSE statement.

9. Pereiro16

Pereiro16 Member

2-3 years of being an elite, super bowl contending team and 2-3 years of Sanchez learning from him? Ill take it

10. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

Signing Manning means cutting or trading Sanchez. It would be hard enough to do that, keeping both isnt possible.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Peyton Manning can't fix the holes on the O line and on defense, and any contract he and his agent would negotiate would likely prevent the Jets from giving those holes the attention they require.

I haven't seen you make anything resembling a logical argument to explain how this would be anything Manning would want to associate himself with.

He isn't going to come to the Jets for peanuts. Tom Condon will look across the conference room table at Tanny and he'll say something like "After we watch this video of your defensive guru head coach calling Peyton the best quarterback in the league, loudly and repeatedly, we need to talk numbers."

Reality is knocking. Answer the door.

12. ezio713

ezio713 New Member

If Manning is 100% ready to go I am all for it. Let's face it this team is built to win now not later. We have some young blood but the majority is win now. Get Manning and draft a decent prospect next year in the second round or maybe even the first to learn from him. I like Sanchez but a healthy Manning is something you cannot pass up.

13. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Granted it would cost a lot of money to make a move like this, so it's not as easy as "do you want him on the team?"...BUT if all things were equal (cost and all) and you were asked straight up right now would you prefer Manning or Sanchez, and you still said Sanchez, then you, sir, would be a f***ing idiot.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd take Peyton Manning circa 2010 over Sanchez no question. I'd take Dan Marino circa 1985. I'd take Brett Favre circa 1996. I'd take a bunch of great QB's who still had it over Sanchez.

The odds Peyton Manning still has it at 36 after the injuries are lower than I'd like to give up Sanchez over. The odds that he could perform as well in NJ in December instead of his comfy dome are lower than I'd like. The odds that he could perform as well in a different system, and either he or everybody else is going to have to learn on an accelerated curve to make this work, are lower than I'd like.

We just went through this 4 seasons ago with Brett Favre. Do we really want to do this again? Really?

15. laxin

laxin Active Member

Im pretty sure he just says to himself “oh, its Peyton fucking Manning. He’s the best to ever play. Lets sign him.”

And then when someone tries to drag him back to reality he tells you to hop off Sanchez’s dick...

Not many here that want Manning ever make an argument about how we could sign him being that we are going to struggle to sign a safety, let along Manning. He’s going to command huge money. Money that this organization cant afford. Another point that most look over is going through the whole Nnamdi ordeal again and coming out looking like fools with nothing to show for it while everyone is gone.

And like you said before, this team isnt built around Manning. We just signed a OC that comes from a different coaching branch that Manning spent his whole career in.

Personally, I think we have to build a team this offseason, address our actual holes and build depth. If we can do that, I honestly like our chances heading into next season and the future. If we sign Manning, those holes will still be holes...

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

That is a true understatement of Peyton's ability, I am going to have to tell you.

Peyton's team never had a defense worth shit - and that showed this year. Dungy's defense always preached on speed, even at the cost of necessary size and body mass. The defensive strategy was to make sure the offense puts the other team in full possession deficit, so they don't have to defend the run. (A piss-poor strategy no matter how you slice it.) It is this reason that when the defense is exposed, the pressure is on offense that much more. When Peyton finally won the ring, he went up against Rex "WRECKS" Grossman - and the defense didn't need to defend the run. When Colts went up against Saints, things didn't go too well for Manning.

Receivers? Tamme, Collie and Garcon are not how you would have spelled elite receivers when they were coming out of college.

====================================================

Yes, I am against bringing in Manning on a 3-year rental at the end of his storied career, but to say he chokes is not really fair treatment. (If at all, on his way to his only ring yet, he made Brady choke on 19 point lead, the biggest in postseason history.)

17. laxin

laxin Active Member

Well cant there be an agreement that Peyton generally hasnt lived up to his GOAT title or Elite title in the playoffs? He is the best regular season QB, but his playoff resume hasnt lived up to his regular season standards.

18. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Agreed, fully. But it isn't going to be a straight up trade-off, and it won't be done in a vacuum.

19. Phear

Phear New Member

There is no argument they can have. Manning is going to come play for the Jets out of the kindness of his heart. He wants to play here so badly we can offer him 9 mil a year and he's good with that. Oh and don't forget all of the endorsements he's going to get.

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

Exactly. So the question that should be posed would more so go along the lines of “would you rather have the Jets sign Peyton Manning- hoping he can play at least 2 seasons and do what took him 8 years as a Colt, two years as a Jet while sacrificing money at other positions where there are holes OR keep Sanchez for another year with a new offensive system and use our money to address actual holes and build depth?"