Vikings willing to trade #3 pick, Tanny crazy enough to do it?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Organized Chaos, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think it's the other way around in a draft that has an elite QB prospect that is not going on the #1 pick.

In a draft with no elite QB's then yes the price goes down some. The Jets got Sanchez cheap for two reasons: first, none of the QB's in that draft were seen as elite prospects, all 3 were seen as good prospects with some confusion about whether Sanchez or Freeman was the second best in the class. Secondly, the Jets had a relationship with Eric Mangini and Mangini had also just been burned big-time in 2008 holding a pick in the same range that nobody wanted to trade up for when the Jets would have been very amenable to a trade down.

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

When we moved up to take Sanchez at # 5 our pick was in the 20s if I remember correctly.

Tanny is absolutely crazy enough to move up from # 15 to # 3 if he can get a good enough deal.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

This is an appropriate occasion to again consider that the single best move to improve the Jets would be to replace Tanny with a real football guy.

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

That's a good question

5. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Smart moves by the Vikes. RGIII will be on the board and teams that think he can be franchise qb should be offering a lot. Doubt Tanny will be able to compete with the packages others will pitch to the Vikes for #3.

6. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

It was #17. And the only thing we really gave up was our second rounder because Mangini is an idiot. We moved up 12 spots for our second rounder and 3 bench players. Thats never happening again. Its only under those circumstances its not suicidal to make the move. Bradway described what the deal would look like. It's infuckingsane to make that move.

7. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Holmes first and 2nd for Blackmon?

8. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

That's how I'm looking at it as well. They already have Ponder, they're just trying to see if anyone out there is willing to be fleeced for the pick. They have nothing to lose by putting that out there.

9. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

With how deep the draft is in positions we need except for Safety, moving up would be beyond stupid.

10. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Tanny is pretty awesome with the cap, and I've got to admit I like most of his draft day moves, even when they're retarded they're fun. My basis of comparison is the other GMs going back through the 90s who sucked.

11. Mason

Mason New Member

We shouldn't move up, I think we can get Floyd with our pick without moving.

12. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much fine with sitting where we are and drafting a position we need (unless something exceptional falls to us).

13. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

Tanny is on his playstation furiously working out trade scenarios with keller and the third pick.

Don't do this. We're not gonna win anything with a rookie qb. Give mark a year in the new system.

If he improves, everything works out. If he regresses, we have an even BETTER pick to trade next year!

14. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe Banned

I think you're all missing something here. The Rams pick #2 and probably don't want RG3, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade back as well. What GM is going to trade up to 3 just to have another team trade up to 2 and take the player he traded up to get?

15. TheSultanOfFootball

TheSultanOfFootball New Member

JUSTIN BLACKMON BABY!! if only... but we have a lot of other areas that need to be addressed. Although i wouldn't mind getting possibly the next calvin johnson and a dangerous target to throw to, which we have NOT had. Blackmon can stretch the field and will earn the same respect megatron and fitzgerald get, whihc will greatly relieve pressure on other aspects of our game.

If only trading up was that simple though, we'd lose too much.

16. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

There are alot of "if this happens" trades setup between GMs, so they can get something done quickly if a scenario occurs.

17. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

That table means next to nothing with the new rookie pay scale - high draft picks are far more valuable now that you dont need ot break the bank to sign them (/looks at sanchez/)

18. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

In the immortal words of Chad Ochocinco... child please!

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

A GM with a deal pre-arranged if RGIII is there on the 3 pick?

20. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe Banned

Perhaps, but that doesn't contradict what I said about no GM being able to pull the trigger on this until he knows what happens with the #2 overall. No deal can really be done until the Rams select or trade ...unless Minnesota trades it for cheap or for a player they really want. That may be the likeliest scenario. It could be that Minnesota is convinced that the Rams will trade out of the 2 spot, so they're going to focus on getting a proven commodity in exchange for their pick. In any event, it's interesting that they're putting it out there this early.