If Jeffery is available at 16 (possible trade down?)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Jan 21, 2012.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

There's an idea that has been floating around in my head about Jeffery being available to us at #16. I think it may present an interesting option for us. If Houston wants to try and pair another big receiver across from Andre Johnson we may be able to trade down to #26 and pickup 2.26 in the process. It may be tough to pass up on a guy like Jeffery, but we could still get a big talented receiver out of the deal.

We may be able to pickup an extra pick and still snag a guy like Sanu or Reuben Randle at 1.26 or 2.16.

2. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

It's hard to answer this right now, Jeffreys stock could really fluctuate post combine time. His 40 time and workout will make a huge difference into what kind of prospect he could be.

He could most certainly be there and I think I'd rather draft him and stay at our spot even though I love Sanu more then anyone on this board as a prospect. It's an interesting concept but like I said its extremely hard to tell as of right now prior to the combine.

3. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I really hope that the option for us to trade down is available. Theres only short handful of players that I really like @ #16 overall, and most of them could very well be taken by then, so rather than reach on many of the players I dont like or feel we dont need I would be thrilled if trading down was available as a backup option

4. Shaner021

Shaner021 Banned

*** deleted post ***

#4 Shaner021, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2012
  5. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I like Jeffrey... but his workout will be huge. Hopefully he loses some weight and gains some speed.

6. cromartiecove31

cromartiecove31 New Member

With Jeffrey, I get why he has shitty numbers, but I feel like he still could have done better, he is really good, but I wanna see how free agency works out first, but a trade down would be awesome, I would love two seconds, it would allow us to fill in an offensive tackle like and maybe a running back, wide receiver, or another LB

7. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

I like Jeffery if Hightower/Floyd/Mercilus/Upshaw/Richardson/Burflict are still around then sure trade down but if not then take him. He will be very very good. Only thing is I think he's trouble i watched a SC game and he got kicked out so.... locker room problems???

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If Jets can trade down and grab 2nd rounder, Jets MUST do that.

9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

If a trade down scenario presents itself I highly doubt Jeffery would be the trade bait.

10. laxin

laxin Active Member

If you are talking about the bowl game, then he didnt really do much wrong. He was just being physical with a top tier CB in Alfonzo Dennard; Dennard actually hit him if I remember correctly and then both were tossed... Didnt really agree with the call.

11. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Don't you think we should see what player players falls to us at #16 before we trade down???

The value in Rd 2 drops, especially at the OLB position.

I'm not going to pass on CU, DeCastro or WM and pick up second tier player in rd 2.

12. Mason

Mason New Member

I'm sold on Floyd, think we should pick him up over Jeffrey. Dude is 6'3 and has really good speed and he's very explosive. Looks like Terrell Owens on the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx8qek1bQxY

#12 Mason, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I am currently looking at six guys: 2 DT/DEs and 4 OLBs. (2x 1st round, 2x later) My guess is that if the OLB is still on board by the time Jets picks, then Jets draft the guy. If both 1st round prospect OLBs are gone, and the situation presents itself to trade down, I am thinking Jets should trade down, as both NT/DE prospects are estimated to go at 20's in 1st round, so Jets should be able to pick them up. *And pick up OLB prospect from later round as well.*

Just, it's my tendency to look at the guys working in the trenches first and foremost. As Parcells once said, there are only so many big, powerful and athletic guys who can play defensive tackle in NFL - so if you can grab them, you must.

14. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Agreed. Plus if we are trading back 10 spots, I want more than a single late second round pick. We should be getting 2 and a 4, at minimum.

Depending on who's available, it might be a bad idea to trade so far back. The idea with a trade down, is you have a handful of guys you would be happy with, so you slide down a few slots and still snag one of them. You don't trade back when you only have 1 target you really want available.

If somehow 4 of the following are available, a trade down is advisable, otherwise...

upshaw
    mercilus
    ingram
    decastro
    glenn
    jeffery
    richardson
    martin

Or maybe we have our eyes on somebody different, but if (at this point) we have 4 of the following on the board, trde down is a good plan. If we only have 1-2 guys, we may well want to stay put, and make sure we get our guy.

15. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Pazzz russhaaa

16. jemgeejets

jemgeejets New Member

The idea of trading down sounds good but if we can get Mercilus at 16 then we should take him, i think he will be available later on though so there is some movement maybe the Browns second 1st rounder and their own 2nd would be good value.

17. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Id have a very hard time complaining if we traded down and could land a big dlime guy at the end of the first, then have an extra 2nd/4th to get at least 2 safeties, 2 ols, a wr, hb, te, and an olb of course.

Which we could literally get all of in the top 5 rounds, then well have plenty of cash for a big FA in 2013 with depth addressed

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Trade value chart has 1.26 + 2.26 at a slightly greater value than 1.16. If you're going strictly by the chart we should be throwing in a 5th rounder making it 1.16 + 5.16 for 1.26 + 2.26. I would think we could get them to give up some value if they wanted to move up badly enough though.

19. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Heres a good reference point for what we could get

The Dolphins traded the No. 12 pick (Mathews), a fourth-round pick, and a sixth-round pick to the Chargers for the No. 28 overall pick, the No. 40 overall pick, a fourth-round pick (No. 126), and linebacker Tim Dobbins.

20. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

And Dobbins was basically worthless