Top free agents for next season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Jan 2, 2012.

1. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I was way off on that carry over #, both teams should have between 15-20million available.

And your defense was 30th or something, id assume its full of holes. Jets need a rt, nt (pouha), and safety. Anything else will be drafted pkus maybe braylon too via fa

2. patfanken

patfanken Banned

OK lets agree to disagree at this point. Eventually things will become more clear in the first weeks after the Superbowl and then we'll know more and can speculate less in our next discussion on this topic.

BTW- The defense which finished 31st (we eked out the Packers by less than a yard :wink: ) allowed fewer points than the Jets D, and is playing much better in the playoffs....so far.

3. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Tebow and Flacco in ur house, poor barometer for your defense.

4. jemgeejets

jemgeejets New Member

Flacco played well i thought..

5. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Choices Choices.

Not gonna lie if we paired Johnson up with Maybin thats an INCREDIBLE combo @ olb (and cheap !) #1 rush stopping OLB combined with a stud pass rusher who couldnt stop a rush for his life.

Johnson is literally a PERFECT replacement for BT.

If only we could get rid of Pace somehow save some SERIOUS money on the salary cap (if we could trade him for a 5th that would be legit an incred deal)

Start JJ/Maybin @ one side and the 1st round OLB on the other, all the while freeing up valuable monies in 2012/2013.

Dont get me wrong I wouldnt plan on it happening, but it would be a solid move

#265 dcm1602, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  6. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Also worth noting that seems Goldson is not going to be an option (they will franchise tag him if he doesn't re up)

However the franchise tag is 6.2 million for safeties, which means a GREAT safety should only cost 4.5-5 million a year

7. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

We need an RT, that much is obvious to everyone. Demetrius Bell would be a good choice, and we could afford him especially when we cut Wayne Hunter. We should draft a OLB pass rusher like Courtney Upshaw or Whitney Mercilus in the 1st round, and a safety in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds, to replace the loss of Jim Leonhard and to compete with Eric Smith. It is also now clear Holmes will be back, so we need someone tall on the opposite side, and depending how much we can spend I would love to get Stevie Johnson from the Bills, although I'm curious if we couldn't start Patrick Turner and spend the money somewhere else. We should also re-sign LT, if he wants to come back.

#267 MaximusD163, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  8. MaximusD163

Although I think we shouldn't take the 2 safeties if the safeties in the draft go too early, because I'm sure we could find better valued players for those picks.

9. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

You have got to be kidding me. Maybin is a stud pass rusher. I want some of what you're smoking.

10. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

The only thing I would say about Maybin is for what we are paying him he was our best pass rusher this year, another year in this system and we might have polished a nice turd here....

11. MaximusD163

What he is saying is that Maybin is a good pass rusher, but can't stop the run. Johnson is good at stopping to the run, and therefore we should swap them back and forth at the same position depending on what each defense we want to run. At the same time, have a good all around OLB like Courtney Upshaw on the other side.

12. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Maybin isn't even a good pass rusher. He's good to have on third downs when you are bringing the house because he is fast and has a good motor but he makes no one miss. Maybe with another year in the system he can improve but Maybin right now can't play on any down that is not a passing down even with a "stud" run stopper opposite him.

13. NYDeadEye

NYDeadEye Member

Maybe it's one of those situations where stats aren't telling the whole truth, but i can't help but look at them and really be skeptical...:

http://www.nfl.com/player/calvinpace/2505622/profile

http://www.nfl.com/player/jarretjohnson/2505641/profile

And why wouldn't they just rush towards Maybin all the time, then...?

I know you said he'd be a great replacement for Bt...but then you went on about Pace. So maybe I'm just confused.

14. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I was suggesting you only put Maybin in on passing situations ie 3rd and 8, 2nd and 15 that way runnings not much an option, and JJ in on running ones.

And ok Maybin def not a stud pass rusher, not yet at least ! Some Potentials there tho

15. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

What about Billy Cundiff?

I know some people are uneasy about Folk, and this guy was a probowler last season.

Good chance he gets cut by the Ravens due to outcry over something that's not imo his fault

16. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

"@OfficialBraylon we need you back in the Green and White, would u wanna return?"

"@Bricktime the jets fans were great to me and I enjoyed playing on Sunday's. Don't agree with how they pursued me in 2011 but i just might"

17. SKIBA-JONES

SKIBA-JONES New Member

I know were in the market for a good blocking tight end that can get down field. Does Cumberland posses that ability, to be opposite keller or do we need to look at the FA market and go after someone like Greg Olsen Visanthe Shiancoe. or jermichael finley. Cumberland is a fast TE with alot of potential but with the new run first double TE look everyone is talking about does he pose any threat to a defense.

18. SKIBA-JONES

SKIBA-JONES New Member

If we dont resign LT who do we use to offset Greene. Lets face it Joe's not the sharpest tool in the shed and cant carry the ball 20+ times a game. Greene when he stops dancing around should beable to pound the ball between the tackles and Joe has the speed for 3rd down on passes but he is no pass protector and Powell i think is worthless. Tashard Choice, Ryan Grant, or Tolbert. are good choices but how would they affect the cap room.

19. MaximusD163

Maybe Shiancoe, but probably not, and definitely not Jermichael Finley. Both will probably be too costly, and Keller is our receiving TE, and we need WR who can stretch the field more than another receiving TE. The thing is, I don't think our scheme should change so drastically, because we have most of the pieces for a balanced run/throw team. I know everyone likes the ground and pound around here right now, but when we were successful with that we had a more suited team. Our O-line was beast, and we had Alan Faneca and and Damien Woody instead of Matt Slauson and Wayne Hunter. We had Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, and Shonn Greene as our 3rd RB, and Tony Richardson at FB. That is a very solid running team, something we do not have now, and I'm not convinced we can built that team again in an offseason.

Last year we were a better team than in '09 or this year, and we had very few losses when it comes to players, most notably Braylon Edwards and Damien Woody. I most definitely believe we can address the need for a WR and RT, and then also the two new replacements for Bryan Thomas at OLB and Jim Leonhard at safety.

20. patfanken

patfanken Banned

After Mark Barron, the safety cupboard is bare. The 3 best safety prospects after Barron, are all going back to college (McDonald, Lester, Armstrong). Of course there still could be a hidden gem out there to be had, but if the Jets (and the Pats for that matter) hope to improve their safety position they will have to do it in FA.