Top free agents for next season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I don't get why others here say with such certainty that the bridge with Edwards was burned and is irreparable. I think BOTH sides have been humbled by the decision made last off season. Edwards in truth was a better fit for the Jets than Burress, and the Jets were a better fit for him than the Niners. The Jets wasted a season not keeping him, but should be able to get him now for less than he was asking for a year ago.

I know there are still questions about Kerley, and even more so about Turner, but given other problems with the team making the move to get Edwards makes the wideout position serviceable, and then allows the team to look at other areas in need of attention.

2. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Well we all know the bridge was burned theres no doubt about it. But in sports theres no such thing as irrepairable.

Fact is at the end of the day players are going to go to whoever gives them the best offer. And considering that Braylon is considered a toxic asset coming off an injury plagued season there arent going to be a lot of teams vying for his services. Fortunately for us we have the perfect toxic environment where Braylon wouldnt even be the most toxic wr on the roster.

Now one thing I wonder, is it viable (or would it even serve much of a purpose) for the Jets to sign Braylon, then attempt to bring Plax back for the vet min. I mean Plax was far from great last year, but on 3rd downs and in the redzones hes a guy you want to get on the field.

3. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Just came for some clarification. At ESPN they did the current cap numbers for all the AFCE teams. According to them, I have bad news.....and then bad news.

The Jets at 125MM are apparently OVER the $122M anticipated cap. Meanwhile the Jets cap page isn't much better at $123.5. Now I understand that "things" can be done. Cuts can occur. Contract can be renegotiated, etc etc etc.

But here is the really bad news - ALL your AFCE opponents are in better shape -

The Phins are about $10MM under
    The Bills are about $20MM under
    The Pats are about $22MM under

So the bottom line is, while the Jets may be able to finagle their way to a position where they have enough money to sign their draft picks, its very unlikely they will be able to sign ONE significant FA, let alone several. But what's worse is that all your competitors WILL have a 10-20MM advantage Thus are in betterposition to improve their teams.

If there is any good news at all is that the, with comp picks, the Jets should have around 10 draft picks this year, about twice their usual number. My advice would be to "hit a home run on every pick, because it doesn't look like you'll get much help in the FA market.

BTW- this info kind of makes Woody's implying that the Jets would be in the market for Manning even more ridiculous

Note: the article doesn't mention anything about the carry over, so I don't know if they put that in their calculations, but it won't matter, because I'm pretty sure the Bills and Dolphins also have carry over money, and the Pats have over $8MM, so the relative advantage will remain the same, though the Jets situation will somewhat improve.

4. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

That article is very vague, also its worth noting that of all the teams in the afc east the Jets have the least significant free agents.

The Bills have Stevie Johnson their #1 wr ufa, the fins Solai and Carey, the Pats Welker, Branch, and Carter, and as for the Jets Pouha who i guarantee comes back pretty cheap, Leonhard who will also be VERY cheap, and Plax who either gets replaced or brought back very cheap .

Seems to me that the Jets are all locked up for a while and really have nothing to worry about. Also worth noting with 2014 around the corner to bail everyone out its pretty easy to restructure contracts to take the bulk of their cap hits after then. So im rather certain that this is of little concern. That said I wouldnt expect an Asomugha-esque signing, but I dont think making a couple of splashes is impossible .

And some easy cap savings

2.5 million if Wayne Sack of Shit Hunter is cut, 2 million if Eric I cant Cover Smith is cut, almost 1m Gerarld Alexander,

Seems to me like the Jets can easily have around 10 + million free after resigning their own, and i guarennfuckingtee Sanchez restructures his contract in some way so that the Jets can bring him some new toys like Braylon

#184 dcm1602, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  5. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

And let the speculation about Ocho to the Jets begin

(Takes a bold prediction that Ocho is done as a Patriot after being listed inactive as a healthy scratch in the AFCCG)

6. Braylon4ever

Braylon4ever Active Member

I do not want any part of Chad Ochostinko here. He's an even bigger Diva than TO or Holmes is.

Bring back Braylon(if he's healthy), draft an RT or Pass Rusher, and call it a day.

7. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Agreed on Ocho. Also, please get safeties who can cover.

8. NYDeadEye

NYDeadEye Member

It seemed to have behaved in NE but maybe he was just scared of BB.

I don't want him either way though, if Tom Brady can't make him look good, not sure who can.

9. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

the Bills also have Demtrius Bell to sign who is one of the highest rate OT free agents, and the Phins need to sign Kendall Langford as well who wont be cheap and the Pats have both their centres as UFA this season, need to either re-sign or find a new WR corps and need to sign Andersen as well as Carter.

every team has issues.

10. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

I think a sneaky candidate for RT could be Vollmer from the Pats. He's not a FA till after next year but with his injury and Solder coming out as the true starter it would be interesting if they cut him. He is injury prone but only 27 and when healthy is pretty good. Keep an eye on that.

11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

do you think they will cut him? the guy is slated to make less than $1m next year.

annoyingly due to the Brady factor the pats have got away with a pretty cheap supporting cast for a long time.

12. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

OchoStinko is inactive for the AFCCG because his father died.

13. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

You think Welker, gronk, hernadez woulda been inactive had the same thing happened? Yean exactly, hes done

14. JohnnyThaJet

Yes, family over football.

15. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

He played one snap the previous week, his career in NE is done

16. JohnnyThaJet

Not questioning that, I am saying if a player loses his father I expect them to be inactive no matter how good or bad they are.

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If Edwards does come back to NY for 3-4 year contract, and Patrick Turner emerges, then the question is put on Santonio Holmes, not on either Turner nor Edwards. Run-heavy offense always favor big physical WRs with speed, who can win a lot of jump balls down the field - which Santonio Holmes is not. *This is because combination of such receivers forces the defense to double up on both with back four, opening up the short and intermediate field.* Moreover, slot WR role is filled by Kerley already.

While I do not hate the guy, I don't mind off-loading Santonio Holmes. (If Jets pick up draft picks out of him, all the better.)

18. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Edwards would likely be back on a 1 year prove it contract to prove that hes healthy/not a convict before earning a multiyear deal

Which would give us some time to also reevaluate Holmes and or have him build trade value (lets be honest were not gonna be able to trade this guy)

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Center

That is how we spell that position.

20. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Turner emerges to what? A 30-catch a year guy? That is his ceiling I think. Too slow and hands are questionable.

As for a Holmes trade I cannot see how the Jets would get multiple draft picks for him in a trade. The best the Jets can do, I think, is to trade Holmes for another malcontent with a bloated contract.