Possibly Safety: Adrian Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HardHitta, Jan 18, 2012.

1. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

This. Goldson's a stud. I've watched quite a few 49er's games this season and i've been very impressed with his play. He would be ideal for the Jets.

2. xBleedingGreen62x

I'm pretty sure in 2009 when Kerry was here we were #1 in pass defense and we didn't have that great of a pass rush either.

Yeah, he sucked when it came to tackling but that's ALL Eric Smith can do if he ever caches up to the person. I'd much rather have Kerry Rhodes. I was very angry when we let him go and we have been suffering because of it ever since. He could cover really well plus he was 6'2. He would be a great match up for Hernandez and Gronk.

#42 xBleedingGreen62x, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Look, guys... it's not the safety position that needs the most help.

1. Double TE formation is specifically effective against 3-4 alignment - to be exact, against Bum Phillips 3-4. Jets defense, as it stands, do not have the personnel to run Fairbanks/Bullough 3-4. Harris is too small for that first and foremost. Jets run some hybrid defense between Phillips and F/B 3-4 because of the liability in Harris. Jets D cannot expose their ILBs against the offensive guards all game. Bart Scott is very well suited for either one, since he can play Ted in Phillips 3-4, but can engage and shed G in F/B 3-4.

2. What's making the situation worse is the inability of the DL to engage in double teams. If all three can force the offense to engage in double team (which is VERY hard to do, even in F/B 3-4) then the effectiveness of Patriots' double TE set decreases astronomically. If the 3 DL forces the offense to assign 6 guys up front, that means Aaron Hernandez is forced to block DE, since Matt Light will be eaten alive if he's hanging dry by himself. Once Hernandez is forced at the line, then the job of the coverage is simplified down to bracketing Gronkowski and man-handling the WRs at the line with Revis, Cro and Wilson. (Once Hernandez drops out of the equation, things get this simple.) ILBs should stay disciplined at their gap for possible runs and draws, but if the OLs are busy double-teaming the DL, that means the running game is just about dead.

Of course, there are only so many big, physical and strong guys who can play the defensive linemen in NFL. (This is Parcells' patented Planet Theory by the way.)

3. Next best thing to the 3 DLs forcing double team is plain but intense 4-men rush. That's the only way you can beat pass-oriented offense. Currently two teams are good at that: Giants and 49ers.

4. We all have been bitching about Jets having no safety to cover both TEs, but like I have illustrated above, it all starts from the front seven. For the record, Ryan never had fearsome front seven during his tenure with the Jets. The likes of DeVito, Pace, Thomas and Pouha are all serviceable, but serviceable does not quite cut it to make the defense great. I have seen Mo Wilk constantly drawing double and at times triple teams, but Pouha and DeVito, not so much. I've seen both Pouha and DeVito placing themselves at correct position (between two OLs) but from there, instead of drawing double team, they usually shoot the gap; more or less because they cannot maintain the double team.

Remember Kris Jenkins? What made the Jets defense so successful when Jenkins was clogging up the middle? He was drawing all three interior linemen on himself, and what's more, he was pushing the three back. (This is remarkable indeed.) If the offensive interior is eaten up like that, you cannot succeed against that defense.

5. I believe I have made myself clear by now: I have been harping Jets DL is weak for a reason. Look. Aaron Maybin does not look like a 3 down LB, because he cannot play in run downs. But you know what? If the DL forces the offense to commit 6 men up front, Maybin CAN play all three downs - and be very successful too. On top of that, if Jets do get the powerful nose tackle, then Harris problem that I illustrated above all of a sudden disappears as well. Lastly, if the quarterbacks cannot step up in the pocket, that alone makes the pressures from the edge that much intense.

6. I don't know if Jets will ever be able to assemble fearsome front seven. I just hope that Jets can do something about it - instead of trying to do something at the back four, when the real culprit lies up front.

#43 Zach, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  4. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Goldson will be a 49er next year, he's a west coast kid and they won't let him go easy, they'll either franchise him or sign him to a nice deal. He's out of the question.

5. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Zach,

Great job at articulating this, you summed it up pretty damn good. I will never forget big Jenks busting up the middle to tackle CJ for a big time loss. When he was healthy this team was different, is Ellis the guy to replace him and then kick Pouha outside?

6. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Why not. Bring him in and still draft one. Then next year you let him go and draft another. I think we should go pass rusher first round. Safety second and then get some tackles.

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

No he doesn't suck he may have had attitude problems though.

8. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Kerry Rhodes career path is somewhat of a mystery to me. I thought a lot of him, because I came to notice that after most every Jet game win or lose, BB would seek him out and have a few words with him. I interpreted that to mean BB respected his game, and if BB respected his game, he must be a damned good player. Because of that I always felt that eventually Rhodes would become a Patriot.

Now I have heard a number of Jet fans call him an A-hole. I'd be interested in knowing if he started out that way or become one over time. It could explain that when Kerry became a FA, BB never gave him a sniff.

9. 2insane

2insane Well-Known Member

I thought Rhodes was talented. To me, he was a guy who played football but not a football player.

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I don't know about that. I personally don't care if the player is a fucking asshole or not. What disgusted me the most about Sherry was that he was a safety, but a girl scout would lay lumbers harder than that pussy. I hate pussies on my team. (For that reason, I absolutely hate Cro. Anyone who tries to avoid contact for that matter.)

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

After a couple good seasons, he read the press clippings and got complacent. He also did some modelling of some sort and appeared in a Lady Gaga video. It was probably terrible for his NFL career that he was drafted by a NY area team.

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

He started off GREAT, then became a primadona sissy "look at me, even though I don't tackle" guy, and didn't buy in with Rex's team/philosophy....... and that was the end of Kerry Rhodes in NYC.

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Now, I'll admit, I haven't seen much of him (or mant 49ers players for that matter) but watching that Saints game last week, I was thinking "damn, that guy's a baller", and read he'd be a free agent....... hopes and wishes.

14. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

The 49ers have invested a lot of time into developing Goldson from a mediocre prospect, I really doubt that they let him go now that he's a rising star.

He is exactly the type of ballhawk that we need though.

I always thought that Jets fans overrated Rhodes. He got a lot of attention because he was a playmaker, but he had a track record of making stupid mistakes in coverage and he was the least physical player in our secondary (which is a really bad thing for a safety to be.)

The Jets would've kept him around if being a jackass was his only problem (see: Holmes, Santonio.) They let him go because he wasn't worth the money, time, or effort.

#54 Brunell's Debt, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  15. Barcs

Barcs Banned

We might be able to get this guy cheap enough, and still be able to draft one. A temp fix and a long term fix. I'm down with that. 2nd best cover safety you say? That's the one "weakness" of our passing defense. I quote weakness because our defense was still 5th best in league. I wouldn't be against this at all provided we take care of the line first.

16. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

First brady, then welker, now Gronkowski is out. Unbelievable.

And the tip on the INT in the end zone.

Sign Bernard pollard. Patriot killer.

#56 al_toon_88, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012