Do you want to see Peyton Manning in a Jets uniform next season?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jb1095, Jan 20, 2012.

?

Do you want to see Peyton Manning in a Jets uniform next season?

1. Yes

159 vote(s)
    41.4%
  2. No

225 vote(s)
    58.6%
  1. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Im not debating his financial worth, of that I have no idea. I wouldnt give him more than 8 mill base with a fuck ton of incentives so that if he performs like Peyton Manning 'should' he gets all the money he deserves.

Im just trying to dispell the beliefs that a 100% clear bill of health for Peyton means 100% of Peyton from 2 years ago, because thats just not the case.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

And 100% of Peyton two years ago was like 80% of Peyton in his prime. 36 is 36. The man is unlikely to be able to perform at a level that would enable the Jets to win a championship.

3. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Peyton's probably not the answer, and I get all the concerns with money and neck surgeries, but I can guarantee that 95% of the people on this board are still going to be extremely excited if it does happen. You won't admit it now, but you will be.

I still don't get why people keep calling Sanchez a good QB though. To each their own, I guess, but if Sanchez were drafted in say the 4th round, the rest of you would have called for his head by now. Which confuses me even more, because then at least he'd be making around what he should be making. Instead, he makes a boatload of money and underperforms at the position.

And people will continue to use the AFC CG's as their crutch, and I don't discredit what he did in the playoffs, but Sanchez just isn't a good QB and hasn't progressed 3 years into his 5 year deal.

So, while Peyton's probably not the answer, it would be the flashy/exciting thing to do. The best solution is for this team to be heavily investigating starting QB options for the future. I think we need to draft someone, but I believe there to be some high upside players available in FA as well. I'm fine with Sanchez playing out his contract, but unless he starts to show something, I expect 100% of the fan base to want to show him the door at the end of it. Unless secretly 50% of you just happen to be huge GQ fans and love his magazine covers. I'm starting to think that might be the case with how catty this board can get over this guy.

Show me something or you're going to be a backup in 2013 is what I think Rex should be saying to him.

4. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Which is another excellent reason why Peyton is a terrible option for the Jets. But thats not going to change the minds of the masses, who think Peyton will be the Peyton of 4-5 years ago, for the next 5 years, and will win teh Jets 5 rings in his time here.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And it certainly won't change the minds of Johnson and Tannenbaum if there is any way in the world they can do it...bet the farm on it. Oh, and you may hate to hear it but Peyton Manning at 60% is better than Mark Sanchez is at 100%...that's just the way it is.

#105 Don, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  6. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I wont deny it, Id be fucking excited as shit if the Jets could bring in Peyton and keep Sanchez.

There are 2 schools of thought on Mark. Those who go by the things he has done in the playoffs (4 road wins most in history) in late games (11 4th quarter comebacks, most of any QB since Mark was drafted) his wins (32, tied for 2nd most all time in a QB's first three years with Flacco, Marino leads all with 33). Those are all things, despite a great defense and running game (which dissapeared this year by the way) that no QB has ever done before, so he has to be doing something right...

The other goes by the turnovers this year, and the high throws, and the thought Mark hasnt won us games with his arm, Texans last year, Bills, redskins this year... and the embaressment of a coaching job that was the Giants game 67 pass attempts is just plain stupid as shit schotty.

You know im in the positive camp, he needs to do more and make more steps, but there doesnt seem to be a middle ground. some guys take longer... christ look at the NFCCG for gods sake, Eli wasnt elite until this year and Alex Smith was left for dead, their franchises wouldnt trade them for anything now. Sanchez is running out of chances, but I think he takes a leap forward next year with an improved OL and running game, and hopefully a younger defense...

7. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

i think they made up their minds to return to ground and pound with Sparano. I don't think Peyton would come to this type of offensive minded team (philosophically) they would have to change everything for him. Which they could do, but I just dont think so.

personally I think they worry too much about the medical issues.

Plus the Jay Cutler effect if they publically pursue Peyton. If they dont get him, Sanchez could demand to be moved, and we are left with absolutely nothing to work with.

8. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

My opinion is there's nothing better out there right now. But my point is that you don't want a guy to figure it out at the end of a contract. You want him to do that early. You want him to outperform that contract. So far, I'd say he's vastly underperformed it. As I've said before, as an NFL QB, he's a JAG, but he's paid like a superstar. That can't be. You need the high money to go to the top talent.

Now, thankfully, the rookie wage scale greatly alters that, and so we should be able to try to find a replacement QB in the draft. If the guy doesn't work out, whether we draft him in the 1st round or the 7th round, we're not breaking the bank, and hell, all we did was waste another draft pick. Not like we haven't done that before.

I get that some guys take longer to develop, but when you're more than halfway through your contract and haven't really lived up to expectations (that's the way I see it because I see his playoff performances as more blips on the radar than signs of him turning it around), then the franchise has to either start looking at other options, OR try to sign him for a longer term at a MUCH cheaper rate.

The other option is just to sign Sanchez up for a summer football league and let him play out 16 games in that. Assume then when the actual season starts, he'll be playing playoff football.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I think Johnson by his comments yesterday more or less said they would do anything they can in the QB area to make the team better and I also believe that they think bringing Manning in would do just that.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

As soon as we realize Peyton is not the answer, the sooner these dumb threads die

11. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I dont disagree Mark is vastly overpaid. But so was every top 10 pick under the previous scale. Matt Ryans 0 playoff wins says overpaid, same for Stafford (who's making more than Sanchez)

I think he restructures this offseason, probably adds 2 years (to the chagrin of many fans) but drops his cap hit like a rock. Its one of the very few things he can do in the locker room to help rebuild the reputation and trust of his team mates that winning is the most important thing to him.

While I agree I want him to figure it out by now, i'd rather he figures it out eventually, as in before he gets Tanny and Rex fired...

12. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

to each their own thought process I suppose...

13. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Im sorry but this is absolutely absurd.

There are many good reasons someone can bring up as to why the Jets should NOT bring Petyon here, but this is absolutely not one of them. If the man is crippled and can't physically perform than the point is moot since he wont be getting a REAL contract (and if he does itll be almost completely incentive based).

We would not be bringing Peyton here to turn us into the Colts, it is not going to be his job to win shootouts on a weekly basis (although im sure it will happen on occasion).

Peyton would be brought here as someone who can make smart decisions with the football, not turn the ball over, and most importantly read defenses to audible the play. If he sees a run blitz he will be the guy to take care of it, stacking the box time to air it out. The fact is Peyton is valuable to us because of his brain not his arm. This guy would allow our ground game to take it up a notch by FORCING opponents to respect our air attack, all the while taking advantage via his ability to read defenses.

The fact is at the end of the day we don't need Peyton Manning from 06 to come here and throw for 450 yards and 4 tds a game, if he could come here and pass for 180-250 yards a game avging maybe 1.3 tds a game we would easily trample our way to the superbowl. We dont need 100% of Peyton in 06, we need 70% of Peyton from 2010 and thats more than enough.

And ill also add that Peyton didnt look as good as usual his last few years in indy, but he was also being asked to carry that team far more than ever those years with significantly less weapons on both offense and defense (ie their horrendous ground attack, injuries to Clark, no name wrs stepping in the mix) which forced him to make plays some good some bad.

Again im not saying that we should or shouldn't make a move for Peyton since it would depend heavily on the circumstances (and by circumstances I mean what happens with Sanchez) as well as his contract, but to suggest that he cant bring us a championship is asinine

14. laxin

laxin Active Member

Ill give you this: this was probably the best job someone has done in supporting Manning coming to the Jets.

But I dont know that we would only ask him to throw for around 230 yards a game... We might be caught up in the Manning hype ourselves and ask him to win with his arm. But if he were to come here, this analysis would be the only way I would support the decision.

If we sign Manning, that means we most likely will move on from Sanchez. Which would be disappointing because I could easily see him going to another team and pulling a Drew Brees. Just the Jets luck. If Manning came here, we would need a valid young 2nd option with a lot of upside, because if not, we could be setting this franchise back a few years...

15. wildaces

wildaces Banned

OMG!!! A businessman not ruling out putting some sizzle with the steak.

Can't believe it.

16. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

My question is this, Manning at 80% or Mark at 100%? That is an easy question, Manning at 80% is still better than anything Mark has done at 100%.....

17. blackssmagic

If the game turns into a shootout Manning can/will win it, I would have more faith in Manning keeping up with Brady, Brees, and Rodgers instead of hoping our D holds them down.

18. Braylon4ever

Braylon4ever Active Member

MANNING IS NOT COMING HERE!!!!

And if(hypothetically speaking), he does come here, he will NOT be 100% and will NOT be winning JACK with this team!!

Good lord, people....The man had 3 fucking surgeries on his NECK!!!! This isn't like the Brett Favre situation where it was only father time starting to catch up to him. Brett wasn't injured(except in the mind...lol). Peyton IS injured in the worst way imaginable for a QB.

Neck Injuries are serious and not to be taken lightly. At this point of his career, you really think Peyton would want to come HERE? why HERE?

And don't give me that crap that this team is his best chance at a SuperBowl...BECAUSE IT'S NOT! This team is NOT SB-Caliber and will be undergoing some changes this offseason.

19. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

If Peyton was this badly crippled why is there any discussion whatsoever of whether the Colts are going to pay his massive whopping 35 million $ salary for this season ? For someone that terribly damaged teams shouldnt want to pay him 10 million dollars a year, let around 35 million

20. blackssmagic

you are responding to a person that thinks Mark is one of the best Qb's in the NFL, that the best chance the Jets have at winning is with Mark. Yet in 3 years Mark hasnt won, his first two years the D carried this team more than anything and then this year when the D was not as strong Mark couldnt make up the difference. Unlike gay ass Brady with that shitty Pats D, Brady makes up for it.

#120 blackssmagic, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012