Holmes I got your back...Maybe

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #1 Jets Fan, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It would have been cool if the Captain didn't shit the bed in key games when the ball was actually thrown to his hands. How about a captain leading by performance.

I really don't have an issue with Holmes calling out Sanchez for sucking. My issue is Holmes sucking and calling out Sanchez for sucking.

It's like Rex and the team talking shit all the time. If you're actually winning Lombardi's you can get away with it, if you lose every must game and go 8 and 8 you're just another loud mouth loser.

#81 Biggs, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with what you said. I was responding to the false assertion that Holmes gave up 14 points. That was a gross oversimplification.

3. Big Blocker

So basically you are saying that because you don't like him it is okay to tell lies about him. Personally I think that your argument sucks.

4. Big Blocker

First of all there is no evidence that Holmes was a locker room cancer in Pitt. Second, if you did not mean to imply the Jets should have known Holmes was one there, based on the fact they wanted to unload him for a relatively cheap price, it seemed from what you said earlier that that was your point.

So, if you are not saying that the Jets should have known Holmes was a locker room cancer in Pitt, glad we cleared that up.

5. Braylon4ever

Braylon4ever Active Member

Right. Which is why they traded him for a 5th rounder as soon as possible. uh huh. If he wasn't a cancer, they sure wanted to get rid of him real fast, didn't they? [​IMG]

6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Quoted for stupidity. Did you watch the Raiders game? Sanchez got his ass whooped all year because of poor line play and played with a hurt fucking neck the last 7 games. Nah, I guess he's just pretending to be hurt so he can use it as an excuse. Shut the fuck up. The Jets don't need fans like you. Go follow a frontrunner team.

7. Big Blocker

Look, buddy, I agree with you about Edwards. I posted many times here saying the Jets should have kept Edwards, preferably both him and Holmes if they could, but Edwards if they could not. And I also think as I am sure you do that going with Holmes, and in particular with the contract Tanny gave him, has been shown to be a mistake compared to keeping Edwards instead.

But that doesn't mean we have to make crap up about Holmes, either.

Pitt had reasons to let Holmes go that had nothing to do with his being a locker room cancer. There is no evidence that Holmes was any such thing in Pitt. There in fact is far more evidence that Edwards was that sort of problem in Cleveland than that Holmes was in Pitt.

In case you haven't noticed, the subtext of much of the attacks on Holmes here is that it is part of the pro Sanchez agenda, just another in the many cases of throwing everyone else on the team under the bus before anything bad can be said about Mark.

Ally yourself with such sentiments at your peril.

Signed,

Your fellow Edwards fan

8. Braylon4ever

Then please, my fellow Edwards fan, find out the reason why Pitt would dump a so-called "talented" receiver in Holmes for a 5th-rounder then? I await your reply.....

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He was traded for a 5th because they knew the 4 game suspension was coming and he is one step away from a year...that's all....oh, and he still is and the Jets gave him an enormous deal in spite of that...after what has happened now who would bet their farm that he doesn't have another fuck up real soon?

10. Big Blocker

It's already been covered. He was facing an indeterminate suspension, which ended up being four games, but could have been worse, and imo might well have been since the NFL was not happy about the Ben Rapist stuff. The Pitt franchise decided its own PR problems with Ben were exacerbated by the OFF THE FIELD problems Holmes had, including his domestic violence issues, but that Holmes was more expendable than Ben, who they felt they had to keep. Holmes was also entering the final year of his contract, and Pitt did not want to negotiate an extension (as the Jets did not) during a year that included a significant suspension. Of course they also knew this meant he would be an FA after that year, and this in turn led to him getting big money, which I think Pitt was not prepared to pay him.

All sufficient reasons that do not require making up crap about locker room cancer nonsense.

And of coures you do recall Edwards's issues in the regard in Cleveland, I assume. So why should made up speculation regarding Holmes be appropriate when we KNOW there were issues for Edwards in Cleveland?

That my friend is rhetorical question, meaning let it go.

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

What lies have I told?

You don't need a public announcement from the guy to realize he is the most selfish player in that locker room.

12. Braylon4ever

Okay thanks for the refresher course.

But just because he wasn't a cancer there, doesn't mean he isn't a cancer here based on everything that's transpired, though....

13. Big Blocker

You're welcome, and I don't discount that he's been disruptive to at least some extent with the Jets.

My point is he is not reflexively so, and does not have a history of being a locker room cancer. So at least one of the questions, assuming that is what he now is, is why he became one?

The answer imo is totally obvious. Yes, he's immature to some extent. Pouts. Made some big mistakes, especially in the Philly game.

But the main reason is he thinks Sanchez is holding back the team. And he finds this frustrating.

Now I don't mean to excuse his behavior in saying this. But that is the reason, and just saying he should have reacted differently and that sort of thing is all well and good and true as far as it goes.

But let's not lose sight of the fact that it all goes back to Sanchez suckage.

14. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter what Holmes was in Pitt. What matters is what he is now and that is a problem. Defending Holmes for this season is ridiculous.

15. Roger Vick

Roger Vick Banned

I don't like Holmes, but the bottom line is that the 2012 Jets are better off going into the season with Holmes than they are with $12 million of empty cap space. If he's a dick next season they can just cut him or try to trade him mid-season and take the hit then.

16. Braylon4ever

The Problem I have with that thinking, Blocker, is that Mark wasn't holding the team back last year when everything was clicking.

I'm going to admit that I really don't think Mark could ever be an Elite QB. He's a game-manager(who can make big plays when needed) and since he's a game-manager, he needs the pieces around him to work.

If the O-Line is allowing defenders into his face all-game long, it becomes difficult to get things rolling on offense. Also, Holmes not catching passes when Mark does throw to him, doesn't help matters any.

Oh and let's not forget our Esteemed Ex-OC and his ridiculously-complex offensive schemes.

17. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

Who cares what a WR thinks? He's an employee, he's payed to catch the ball not make personal decisions. Would you want Holmes as our head coach making personal decisions? They're players and they shouldn't forget that! Shut up and be part of the team.

Personally from someone who deals with a staff of over 50 in a talent based industry I won't let cancers stay. They bring everyone down.

Trade him for a mid round and swallow a percentage of his pay.

18. Bob Robbins

Bob Robbins New Member

Yes, I didn't mean to imply there was concrete evidence that he was a cancer in Pitt. I was only speculating that he may very well have been (just my theory) based on what's happened combined with the cheap trade we got. And I agree there's no way the Jets could have really known.

I'm glad we cleared it up too. Because I agree that the initial trade was NOT a problem, I just think we signed him too deeply with the 50m contract.

19. Big Blocker

Imo, while there were real problems with the O, especially when Mangold got hurt, over the course of the season it was still no worse than average compared to the rest of the league. Look at the number of QB pressures. It was better than average.

I acknowledge the OL problems adversely affected Sanchez, but that's becuase he needs to have above average players around him for him to be average.

Other than the games Mangold was out for, Sanchez did not have defenders in his face all game long. He held onto the ball too long, threw too many interceptions, fumbled and was inaccurate. But he and his defenders cannot blame all of that on the OL.

20. Big Blocker

Ok. We are on the same page.