Possibly Safety: Adrian Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HardHitta, Jan 18, 2012.

1. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Cardinals SS Adrian Wilson is due a $3 million roster bonus in March.
    It's on top of his $6.5 million salary, and a lot to pay for a 32-year-old "box" safety. Pro Football Focus did grade Wilson as the second best cover safety in football this past season. He had 65 tackles and one interception.

Source: Rotoworld.com

The thing that jumped out to me is his ability to cover which we need desperately. He's a little older but he's still a good safety, I say we sign him if we can't get anything better.

2. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

Depends on the prices and years. He's a little old, but is an upgrade over smith.

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

Thing that jumps out to me is 32 year old safety...

4. HardHitta

I rather have a 32 year old safety who can cover people then a 28 year old who is chasing opposing TE's from behind every other play.

5. The_W

The_W Banned

Love him as a player, he is the definition of the OP's name, but he is getting up there in age. Also, I'd like a little more continuity in this team, and bringing in a 32-year old vet as a stop gap doesn't say continuity.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

That would be a great guy to plug in if we could get him for a reasonable price. I'd still want to draft a safety but it sounds like this years draft doesn't have much for top tier safety talent.

7. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Maybe we could get him to bring Kerry Rhodes with him. I heard hes pretty good

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Pretty good at sucking cock.

9. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Pretty sure he's not a FA till 2014...

10. HardHitta

I think the article was implying they might cut him.

11. JohnnyThaJet

I mean that's a bit of a reach. It says they have a lot to pay him but no where do they say they're looking to rid of the deal, or they have cap issues, or he has lost a step, nothing of the sorts.

Id love to have Adrian Wilson but he's rated as the 2nd best cover safety for a reason. He will play out his contract in Arizona. Better options to look at are Griffin, Branch, Jackson, Nelson, Harris, or Hope.

12. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Yup

As the OP states hes too expensive, so theyll likely cut him then attempt to bring him back @ reduced costs

13. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

this was perfectly said.....

14. JohnnyThaJet

Have you seen Wilson play? He is one of the best safeties in the league, even if he is old, and is overpaid, they won't risk losing him.

15. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Theyre the Arizona Cardinals, not a big $$$ team.

Small market teams do shit like this all the time, its rather difficult to justify giving a soon to be 33 year old safety 10 million dollars for a season.

Especially since the highest paid safety in the NFL only gets around... 10 million a season

16. HardHitta

Yeah makes sense. Would have been a nice addition for a team who can't cover from the safety position.

17. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

If he's cut I'd really want the Jets to go after him, especially considering that there aren't any great safeties in the draft. He'd be a great guy to have start for maybe 2 years while we develop someone else.

18. JohnnyThaJet

They will not cut the second best player on their team, period. They need him, he is a huge part of that locker room and a big time play maker. I dont care if he's 40, if hes playing the way he is you retain him. Like I said you cannot risk losing a great player for an extra 2 mil or so.

19. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I would love to see LaRon Landry in a Jets uniform next season, may be too expensive but if the Jets went after Nnamdi, I want the Jets to go after Landry.

20. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Theyre a rebuilding team, they cant complete right now anyway.

If they have an opprotunity to sign a younger FA safety to a 5 year deal for a more reasonable contract it will allow them to do better things with their money. Again youre talking about this guy making more money than almost every single safety in the league, they could sign a decent safety to a 5 year contract and cutting this guy will literally pay for almost half of that

Especially since their name has frequently been tied to Matt Flynn and Peyton Manning.