Top free agents for next season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Jan 2, 2012.

1. patfanken

patfanken Banned

I think the Jets will have some problems with the cap the next 2 years. I think you are pretty much on line with your analysis, except I've heard that the cap is going to be closer to 122 than to 128. The good news is that when new TV deal comes on line in 2014 everyone will get out of cap hell

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

People have been expecting the Jets to be in cap hell every offseason since 06.

3. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Above-average safety is gonna make a much bigger impact on this D than above-average lineman because the safety position is so weak & Pats have such dominant TE play now. If you mean elite pass rusher that's good enough to change the entire Jets D & force opposing OC to take him into account when creating offensive schemes, I'm not sure how they can afford one but I'd love to see it happen.

4. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Reality check, Jake. If you think your cap situation didn't affect your FA choices last season, and won't affect them THIS off season, then you are in delusional mode.

While it did seem that way in the seasons previous to 2011, the Jets will reap what they've sown the next 2 before they will be bailed out in 2014

5. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

One name I just thought of that hasnt been mentioned at all this offseason, Chad Ochocinco.

Its possible hes still a deep threat, hes definitely still tall (ok maybe not that tall but hes still black) , hes going to come cheaply, and not to mention he should have (some sort?) of insights on our biggest divisional rival.

The guy has desperately desperately wanted to come here for a while, and now that hes going to have a massive grudge when he gets cut by the Pats this offseason for Brandon lloyd we could have him fill in Plaxs shoes.

34 year old, incredibly odd but productive receiver over the year whether you like it or not theres going to be a ton of speculation about him coming here as soon as he gets cut. And I honestly think him and Braylon are by a mile the 2 most likely WRs we sign this offseason.

6. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Ochocincos garbage. Even Tom Brady cant use him, which says a lot.

Ill repeat it again, if Braylons healthy we need to bring him back. He will come very cheap, hell I dont think theirs a single team out their besides the Jets who will take him. He barely got signed last offseason and after his miserable season last year he will be cheap as hell.

7. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

While I personally think Braylon is hands down the best move we can make, I truly think Ocho is far more likely. Its the excact type of move this team has been making year in and out lately, and has Tanny written all over it.

I have a gut feeling that too many bridges were burned with Braylon after last year

8. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Yeah I feel the bridges have been burned with Braylon to sadly. The guy loved this place.

His values dropped tho so im sure he realizes he wont make much anywhere.

9. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

With Braylon, I'm also thinking bridges were burned permanently. Not a believer that the Jets can get production out of Ocho though. Brady & BB is the same duo that got Randy Moss to return to glory & they failed w/ Ocho.

If Ocho joined the Jets and failed again, I could see him turning into a locker room problem.

10. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Makes you think Landry could be more risk

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

How many free agents do you think will want to come here with this franchise in it's present state?

12. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I think players look at Rex and still think "that's a guy I would like to play for".

Our defense is missing a few position playes (FS, DE/OLB) true, but with an improved pass rush and Rex at the helm we move right back to a top 3 defense easily. Players find this intriguing on both sides of the ball.

I think people have a knee jerk reaction to the Holmes situation, I mean the guy is still really good he just has one of the statistically worst QB's in the league. I don't condone what he did or just want to sweep it under the rug but I think it will all be forgotten by mini-camp.

The discord in this team isn't surrounded by Holmes or by the WR core, it's all about Sanchez and his inabilities. There are players in the locker room that are fed up with seeing the same garbage production and bad decisions for 3 years now, and Rex just patting him on the back and telling him everything will be ok.

If we make a move to get better production in the passing game (which can only come from a new QB) when FA opens I think players would be filing up to join. They would know we meant business and were ready to win now.

13. patfanken

patfanken Banned

This is good post. Chad can still play. He's a good teammate and locker room guy. Just because his skills didn't fit this "unique" system, doesn't mean he can't play. In the right system I bet he'd be a productive receiver, who was made eminently more affordable because of this season

14. patfanken

patfanken Banned

This makes no sense. Brady can't use Ocho, so he's garbage, even though even if he were on the field every play he'd be the #5 target. While SF, who is receiver starved couldn't use Braylon, yet he's a prime target. :rolleyes:

Now I'm not saying that neither should be targets for the Jets. I'm just commenting on the illogical statement

15. patfanken

patfanken Banned

This is VERY frustrating to Pats fans given our S situation was much worse than even the Jets. So bad we were playing WRs there for almost half the season.

What's so frustrating is Goldson had a visit in Foxboro and left without out a contract and eventually chose SF. I don't know if it was the money or he thought he had a better shot at starting in SF. Unfortunately we didn't cut Merriweather and Sanders until AFTER he left.

The way the game is played these days Safety has become a more critical position, worthy of paying top dollar. I hoping the Pats are willing to pay whatever it takes for either Griffin, Landry, or Goldson. These three guys are the best FAs out there, and I think the both the Pats AND the Jets need to get one of them. This has been made more important since 3 of the best safety draft prospects (Lester, McDonald, and Armstrong) have all decided to go back to school.

Golson was "the one who got away", but although it will cost a ton more, there is still another chance at the apple.

BTW- Imagine if the Pats HAD signed Goldson. That would have meant the Pats would have gotten 3 first team pro bowlers and a 10 sack DE in FA(Waters, Carter, and Anderson)- Now THAT would have been the FA haul of the century

16. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

To be fair I dont know if Goldson would of made the probowl playing in the Pats secondary this year.

Having the rest of your defense looking so putrid would only make him look worse comparatively. I mean hed get a ton more votes because hes playing for NE, but performance wise there is pretty much a 100000% chance he would of played significantly worse on that defense, than the 49ers more solid defense who had a complete cupcake schedule on top of it.

Not to mention no way does he make a probowl over Reed/Polamalu/Weddle

17. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Your point is well taken and probably correct, but you missed mine. All pro or not, getting 4 guys like Carter, Anderson,. Waters, is a great FA haul. Adding a talent as good as Goldson would have made it historic. all pro or not. Its not often you can 3 key guys in one FA class.

Pats fans have been bitching for years for the Pats to draft a pass rusher, and then with 2 very under the radar signings added 20 sacks in FA.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Just getting Waters would make for a decent offseason.

19. jemgeejets

jemgeejets New Member

We need to cut the garbage from this team and sign 4/5 good quality FA and then add more talent through the draft. No matter what people think about us we are a good football team and with a few good moves this off season we can contend for the afc east next year

20. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I like the way this sounds per manish per rotoworld

Coach Rex Ryan hinted Friday that the Jets missed free agent Braylon Edwards' presence as a vertical threat and blocker in 2011. "He had two outstanding seasons for us," Ryan said. "He was an outstanding blocker." The Jets misplayed the market on Edwards last year, anticipating that he'd receive a big-money deal and aiming lower with over-the-hill Plaxico Burress, who was fresh out of prison. Edwards couldn't have helped the Jets much this season because of injury problems, but perhaps they'll consider bringing him back for 2012. He'll be cheaper than Plax was.