Namath critical of Sparano...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BlueDevil73, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

^Nah, not so much. Let me let all you Rex Ryan ass-kissers in on something: in 10 years, when Ryan is just another name on the Jet pile of failed coaches, along with such luminaries as Holtz, Winner, Walton, Coslet, Carrol, and Edwards, Namath will still be a revered icon for this franchise and in this city. Count on it.

2. SecondHandJets

I don't see what the big deal is. I think Tony Sporano is the unsexy choice, but a good one. Namath is saying exactly what we're all thinking: Sporano was a HC of a pretty lousy offense. Was it him or was it Dan Henning that turned Miami into a soccer team? We'll find out.

The reason why this hire has grown on me is because this guy is the complete opposite of Schotty in every way: a run-first, max protect-move-the-chains guy who also happens to be an authoritative figure that can "deal" with the locker room mess we got ourselves into.

The Jets go from one extreme to the other (Herm Edwards to Mangini to Rex) and it always works at first... lets hope that it works one more time and we can salvage Sanchez.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

As much as I agree with both of you, I agree tremendously with JB.

The fact is, Namath only speaks "the truth" when something happens in accordance with his beliefs of what "the truth" really is defined as. If the Jets win, he is on the bandwagon.

Is he hypocritical? Let me explain:

This was taken from his interview recently, about Schotty:

"He's not a bad offensive coordinator by any stretch," Namath said. "Did anyone comment on the failure of (defensive coordinator) Mike Pettine after having his defense really go backward this year as opposed to the last two years?"

Now, let's jump back to 2010 when the Jets lost to the Ravens, 10-9. Here he is again, criticizing the offensive play calling, the same guy he is defending today:

"We need more offense." Namath also wrote that the Jets were "playing with a conservative play calling style, which falls on the shoulders of the coaches."

Then, he goes out to criticize Burress before the season even begins:

"I hope he makes All-Pro, but the realistic side of me ... . The reality is, he'll be damn lucky if he makes it through the season," Namath said.

"We're already talking about the feet -- the ankles, the feet," he continued, referring to the sprained ankle that forced Burress to miss the first preseason game. "There's a lot of running in a long season. I don't see it happening."

It goes on and on. I can clearly understand someone giving constructive criticism where it is needed, but answer me this, where is Namath when the Jets win? Where was he after the 2 AFC Championship games? He flies wherever the win blows him. It is very easy to criticize people for moves they make and things they do, but it takes a man to stand up when he is wrong. Joe Namath may have been the greatest thing to come out of the Jets Organization, but that doesn't mean he isn't a complete fool when it comes to being a fan.

Oh, and let's not forget his "bold statement" hypocritical comment with Rex Ryan. Many of you will remember back when Namath won Super Bowl III. Joe Namath was the guy who "guaranteed" a win over the favored Colts. By favored, I mean favored so much, there was no way in the hell the Jets could beat them, but Namath still made that "guarantee" they would. Then, in 2010, he goes out to point out Rex Ryan for making a dumb "guarantee" to win a super bowl:

"You guys are seriously talking about that? It comes down to an individual perception to what is feasible, what's reality and what's not. The reality is, they're sure as hell not the favorite. They shouldn't be the favorite. How can you be the favorite over that competition that's ahead?"

This is the same guy who made his own "guarantee". This is also the same guy who goes out to say that the Jets will beat Pittsburgh in 2010 in the AFC Championship game. He also goes on to say that we might be the best team in Jets history that year. To quote him exactly:

"One of the best we've ever seen."

Funny. Just a while before that, he was saying:

"They shouldn't be the favorite. How can you be the favorite over that competition that's ahead?"

Give him another drink.

#63 Falco21, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  4. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

QFT

Joe Namath is the ONLY thing that gives this Jets franchise any semblance of respect. Without Namath and his Jets team this franchise would be the most pathetic franchise in all of professional sports.

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

With Namath we also become a laughing stock these days. Trying to kiss Kolber really didn't make Namath look pathetic or like a joke?

There is a difference between player Namath and retired 30+ years down the line Namath.

6. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I think Joe should wait and see how the offense looks under sparano before passing judgement.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If Haley comes along with Sparano it looks like a good move on paper. If he doesn't, I really have to wonder what our offense is going to look like.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Have to agree with you here. Namath can say what he wants because he actually "walked the walk" for this franchise. His comments matter and will always matter because that's what WINNING brings you. He doesn't have to hang his hat on "AFC championship appearences"... aka losses..

Even still it's not like Joe is saying wacky stuff out of left field, he was dead on earlier this season and questioning the hiring of an O-line coach turned FAILURE head coach as O-coordinator is a legitimate feeling.

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

He was asked what he thought of the move. What's wrong with answering that? And as far as waiting, plenty of posters here have weighed in on the subject, pro and con, already. Why is it okay for us to have opinions but not Namath?

And ftr Joe did not predict Sparano would fail. He had questions based on his lack of prior OC experience and limited involvement in playcalling. Perfectly fair comments.

10. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Great Post.. Well Said...

Bottom line, I don't need to hear any more about Leaders and Locker room cohesiveness....
    What I love to hear from people who played the game is Meat and Potatoes FOOTBALL TALK. Show some film and Break down some plays - SHOW US where a player was out of position TEACH US where players whould be and Point out the players that really blew it ON FILM - no hyperbole and Pre-Scripted Bull Crap that is obvious as day. And that was my criticism of joe all along - not as if "SEE SEE SEE JOE WAS RIGHT".... Whatever. He's right about the bullshit he threw up agsint the wall THIS time that we all knew already.

A comedian, a farmer, an actor or anyone can point to a team that just got bounced and had a fight break out in the huddle and tell us all about lack of Leaders and all that crap...

Talk FOOTBALL.... X's and O's.. Break it down.

I read and listen to a lof of Football stuff and a lot of people are out there these days that know their shit and are worthy of teaching us about the game - I have a whole Twitter feed of scouts, coaches, ex-scouts, college coaches, draft experts on and on.... Joe has brings absolutely nothing but crap to my table. He's like 10 years to late with his "here I am Cool Joe listen to my crap" spiel.....

11. Braylon4ever

Braylon4ever Active Member

nevermind.

I don't even want to go there.

#71 Braylon4ever, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  12. Braylon4ever

Braylon4ever Active Member

it's Sparano!! Not Sporano! S-p-a-r-a-n-o!

13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Namath is an old washed up drunk that clings to his one superbowl as if he's the best player the Jets have ever had. The man is an alcoholic and a joke. He's against every move the organization ever makes, and never says anything unless its negative. He is only happy when he predicts something negative and it happens. He only cares about feeding his own ego, not the Jets team or players. Dude needs to shut up.

14. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

How many other Jets QB's have Super Bowl rings?

Namath is, and always will be, the face of the Jets.

15. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I respect Namath's opinions but in my opinion I think he should see how the offense performs with sparano.

I'm not saying or implying that Namath doesn't have the right to talk.

16. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Joe Namath's opinion at this point is worthless. I wish he died 20 years ago so he could have gone out a legend instead of a joke.

17. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Now that's just ridiculous.......

18. milo

milo Well-Known Member

I will withhold judgement on Sparano until I hear Fireman Ed's opinion.

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

And the reason you have not killed yourself yet is that you were never a legend?

Got it.

20. sg3

sg3 Banned

what's really interesting is the gaggle of losers that have now come forward to attack the Jets new OC and the Jets starting quarterback

Joe the drunk

Joe the motormouth broadcasting failure

Manish's fake "sources"

a total of two, both irrelevant