Mehta talks to NFL network about "anonymous Jets"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Listen, the instant Rex pasted a 'C' on Holmes' jersey, a player most of the team had already decided to despise, Rex 'lost the locker room'. A HUGE rookie coaching mistake.

Next, Rex's constant coddeling of Mark, claiming MarK to be the 2nd coming of Namath, refusing to put a competinet BU QB behind Mark to push him, was Rex's 2nd biggest rookie coaching mistake.

It's not a stretch to see how other blue collar players in the locker room would begin to resent Mark as well as Holmes. No one, not you, not me, loves to work with someone who's 'lavished upon' but management.

Rex has brought most of this on Holmes and Mark.

Think of how different things would be right now if Holmes was never annointed Captian, Holmes was screamed at on the sidelines by Shotty, and Mark was benched just once during the regular season. NE would me coming to JetLife this weekend.

2. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

This is so true. Rex has got to tighten the reins in some areas, he can keep his style and bravado, but he must run a way tighter ship.

3. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Rex chose the C on who he wants to show leadership and didn't actually pay attention to who his locker room leaders actually are. That was a big mistake as seen by this off-season drama.

4. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

I love Rex and what he brings to the table, but this is dead on. Lets all hope Rex learns the valuable lessons this season has presented to him and grows as a H/C... Time to stop being everyone pal and be the ass kicking H/C I know he can be.

5. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

That story was MUCH worse for several reasons, not the least of which was that the news outlet that printed it has an ownership interest in the team.

6. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

some of you people need to learn how easy it is to actually fake a source for a news article. read about steven glass if you want to see real examples of news organizations being duped. for a story like this, all mehta would have to submit to the fact-checking dept would be his notes. since it is anonymous sources, he doesnt have to disclose that information even to the editor.

not saying it is made up, but it certainly could have been.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Tx is or perhpas was a "regular" over at jetsinsider. I take it he wore out his welcome over there, but I have yet to figure out why a Pats fan spends so much time trolling Jet message boards.

8. Big Blocker

Brad,

You realize it is obvious that you are basically saying you want to shoot the messenger because you don't like the message. It is not a persuasive argument.

9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

So now is Sanchez lazy or "He’s a hard-working kid." according to Theisman. Or is the media now just going to criticize him for everything and everything wrong with this team? Don't understand how Mason/Theisman, others think he is hard working and anonymous sources think he is lazy.

We shouldn't believe everything we read, and with all these contradicting reports I have been staying far away from ESPN. The people in the media who don't like Sanchez can't even agree on what he is doing wrong.

10. sg3

sg3 Banned

wait guys..... didn't you read that Tim Hasselback, a HOF quarterback, certainly, and a regular insider in the Jet locker room and organization confirmed that Sanchez is "lazy" too.

so it's obvious that it must be true and corroborated...

you have Mehta making things up and Tim Hasselback confirming it

gotta be a fact, for sure

11. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

You are delusional if you think Mehta made these things up.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd go more with somebody whose system is not working, pissed off that his QB is not in the facility every waking minute since he knows that if his system doesn't finally work this year he's probably getting the axe, telling Hasselbeck that Sanchez work habits are questionable to try to get Sanchez to do the 96 hour thing alongside him. (Yeah that was the mother of all run-on sentences but I haven't had my coffee yet.)

So Hasselbeck goes on Michael Kay and kind of calls out Sanchez work habits because he's not in the facility until midnight on Thursday nights, but he won't call him lazy because that's not what he was told. And BTW he backtracks on everything as the words are coming out of his mouth so you can't even tell what he really said with any certainty.

Then a month and a half later, after ESPN has spun the half-accusations into a Sanchez is lazy headline Mehta just throws it in the story because the word is out there. Maybe one of his sources uses the word because they saw it in print and thought they could get away with it.

13. Big Blocker

Bwah! Mehta said bad things about my Marky. Bad man!

He should be fired!

Bwah!

14. Br4d

Yellow journalism is a sore spot for me. It always has been. The power of the press carries with it the responsibility to wield it properly. Having Mehta put this out there right now with all the other stuff flying in the shitstorm based on anonymous sources is yellow journalism at it's finest pitch.

15. sg3

sg3 Banned

pretty clear that Manishgate is going to become more about making up sources, getting caught and trying to cover it up than about the original story

16. Sundayjack

C'mon, Br4d. The use of anonymous sources is not yellow journalism. At its core, your problem is more with the message than the method, and there's just no getting around that.

What these players said IS news. That they don't want to reveal their identity is also news. If the story was fabricated, we rely on other cub reporters to chase down as many players on the 53-man roster as possible and ask them for a comment about Mark Sanchez. If 52 players call the story a fabrication, then and only then do we get to fairly call it yellow journalism. If Manish's story is fiction, the remedy isn't to block it out; the remedy is to expose it to the light of day.

It's conspicuous that, even those several who have come out in defense of Mark Sanchez, no one yet (outside of this board, of course) has called Manish a lying liar who lies.

17. sg3

sg3 Banned

Manish Mehta is a lying liar who lies

and just the fact that the News pretty much DROPPED his "story" like a rock after ONE day is almost insurmountable proof

18. Sundayjack

And sg3 is a nonreading nonreader who doesn't read.

19. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

You guys are nuts, so because a guy who has done nothing except write nice stories about this team all of a sudden does his job and attempts to find out what went wrong this season and tells us what you don't want to hear. Look at the job this team did of covering up the "revolution" that took place in week 4 when Mason was shipped out and the fact that Holmes apparently was a malcontent for 3 weeks before we finally found out what was going on.

There are a multitude of reasons why a guy would use unnamed sources none more important then a player saying if you use my name I'll never give you a any info again.

20. Br4d

You can use anonymous sources to corroborate people willing to step forward and put their name on the accusations. It's using all anonymous sources that is the problem.

How do the Jets respond to this? How does Sanchez respond to it?

The press is indeed a muck-raking and at times accountability producing mechanism. However it can't be one without the other. If all it does is rake muck then it has no value because the muck storm never stops.

How does Rex get a handle on this? What if he talks to all his players and none step forward as the author of the comments? Where does that leave the Jets?

You can't go full anon with this type of story. You need to name some sources and then maybe corroborate by using people who don't want to step forward. If you can't get *anybody* to go on the record there's probably a pretty good reason that's the case.