CodeGreen Mock 1.0

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CodeGreen, Jan 11, 2012.

1. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Round one: Jonathan Martin OT, Stanford

I'm reconsidering Martin as a top 10 pick, I tend to think he will go there but there is a chance he falls a few spots. Think to all the guys who have fallen to the Jets in the past.

I understand people want to upgrade the pass rush, and while I dont think Aaron Maybin is a long term solution, the most important priority this offseason should be finding a right tackle. This is a QB oriented leauge and if you cant protect your QB your offense is going to have problems

Sanchez needs to stay upright plain and simple. The biggest help for Sanchez learning a new offense is if he doesnt have to worry about getting crushed. I am praying that Martin is available when we pick. He isnt the massive offensive lineman that the Jets have picked up in the past, but he is one of the best tackles in the draft and he is able to play either tackle spot in the event Brick gets hurt.

Round Two: Cam Johnson DE, Virginia

At 6’4″ 270 Johnson would likely transition to outside linebacker. Johnson has experience playing OLB in the 34 and has spent the last two seasons playing with his hand in the ground as a pure defensive end. Johnson won’t wow you with his instincts but he is usually in a position to make a play. He doesnt have a great second gear when it comes to making plays after shedding blocks, but he also played a TON of snaps at UVA. He has a good balance of finesse and physicality.

Round Three: Markelle Martin S, Oklahoma State

Martin is a prototypical free safety. He has good speed and range. He is also a pretty physical player (see his hit in the Fiesta Bowl). The one concern is that he isnt particularly good in run support. He doesnt always take good angles and will some time go for the hit rather than make the sure tackle.

Round Four: Juron Criner WR, Arizona

I had this pick between Criner and Jeff Fuller. Both are big guys who are not burners but are physical receivers who can make plays in the red zone. I think Criner is a little better at using his frame to make plays.

Round Five: Kheeston Randall DT/DE Texas

Its no secret that Sione Pouha is a free agent, and even if he is retained at 32 he doesnt have much to his career. Randall is going to enter the leauge primarily as a two down run stuffer. However, he has some quickness and could be developed into more of a pass rusher.

Round Six: Jerry Franklin LB, Arkansas

Bart Scott is clearly slowing down and it would be difficult to find a middle line backer worth subbing in for Scott. Franklin is probably a tad small at 6’1″ and 243 lbs. Franklin is pretty solid against the run, he is willing to take on blockers and is a good tackler. He isnt very athletic but given some time with our coaching staff he could become a decent starter. Franklin is also a four year, highly productive senior another plus. I have seen a few sites that have rated Franklin as an OLB and a DE.

Round Seven: Desmond Wynn OG, Rutgers

Even with the addition of Martin, depth is still an issue on our O line. Wynn and Duccase can compete to see if either one is capable of replacing Moore down the line

2. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I like a lot of the guys that you have us taking here Code, and the best part is that you stay away from the cookie cutter picks these usually have.

If Martin is there at our pick he should probably be the guy. Guys who are not just automatic starters, but also ones that will probably have some solid success as rookies can't be ignored. I think he can do just what you said, and ultimately having our backup LT be a starter on the right side is always a better bet than having a fill in protecting our QBs blind side. Great selection.

I think you're overdrafting Cam Johnson, thought I certainly would consider him a nice target for a later round. My concern with him is that he never really stood out much to me. He does things decently well, works his way into the backfield, and gets some quality numbers, but he's just not going to be a real game changer. I know it's Rd 2 and those guys are largely gone, but a couple other names out there do have that potential, though they probably have a floor far below Cam's.

Markelle Martin is a very good player, should be a real good NFL safety. I kind of like the fact that he isn't afraid to come up and lay a big hit. You can work on tackling, but you can't replace the desire to be physical at the safety position.

I love the Criner selection. He's one of those undervalued WRs with size/speed that's hovering around the 4/5 range. If the injuries check out or are at least progressing, he'd be a no brainer that late. Great value. And I like Jerry Franklin too. He'll never be a star, but could be a nice thumper next to DH in time, or at least be a decent backup.

Des Wynn has emerged from being a complete afterthought to me to being a legitimate NFL prospect, which is pretty commendable. He'd need developing, but he's not bad. And they can probably only really afford to go DL if they know they're losing Pouha,

Great job overall code.

3. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Thanks

I think Johnson is just a number of pass rushers available when we pick then. I was thinking of a few guys when I did this one, I sort of opted to go with Johnsons experience. I also liked he was a good overall player. Though I do think that if we did draft Johnson it wouldnt necessarily solve the long term Jets pass rush issue

For this mock I tried to combine the immediate needs of the team with the future needs, I'm glad it worked out the way it did

4. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Its different i like the Jonathan Martin pick if he's available in the 1st, Although Cam Johnson i think is someone who definitely could be had later on the draft.The rest of the draft is solid though.

5. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

In terms of overall value I think taking an OLB in rd 1 and a OT in rd 2 would be better. I'm also not so sure one between Reiff and Martin makes it out of the top 10, let alone the top 15.

6. cromartiecove31

cromartiecove31 New Member

I really like the young RT pick don't know Johnson very much

7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I can't say I love it, but I don't hate it. All in all it would be a good draft haul for us. It addresses what needs to be looked at. Martin should be a day one starter at RT. Johnson has the size to and skills to be a good OLB for us, though not a pass rushing demon.

All in all good work on it.

8. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

RT is a must but I think we can get one later go with Richardson if he falls if not Floyd or Jeffery

9. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

RT is NOT the #1 priority, but even if it was, the Jets need a veteran not a rookie starting. The pass rush has been the biggest need for something like 10 years. In most years, the Jets never get a chance to draft a top OLB prospect. This year they should have that chance. If they pass up that chance to take a freaking OL, I hope the whole damned FO is fired immediately following the draft. That would just be insane. I don't care how good Martin is.

Cam Johnson is the best you can do to address the OLB need?

I love the Markelle Martin pick, but don't believe there's any way he will make it to the 3rd round.

#9 joeklecko, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I think Johnson is a better player than his numbers would suggest. He moves extremely well for his size. I see him though as just another solid all around 3-4 OLB much like BT and Pace. I guess that's OK since at least one of those guys will probably not be back. This draft I'm hoping that the team takes a flyer on a prospect with 10+ sacks potential. I think there's been enough distance now since the Ghost pick.

11. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

RT should be the number one priority. do you know how many times Hunter was responsible for getting knocked down 70 times, 70. That is inexcusable. The QB is the most important position on the team and if this is truly a make or break year for Sanchez than he should have about a perfect an offense as possible

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

A vet RT would be a better option than a rookie RT - that's what he meant (or that's how I took it.) What he is saying is, RT is a huge need, but it is not a need Jets should address through draft.

I would think that, with the change in blocking scheme, high draft pick for RT is a viable option now (it wasn't under Callahan's power zone blocking system). Just I would like to add that, since Jets would be using simplified man-to-man blocking scheme, 2nd or 3rd round pick should suffice for the RT spot - especially since that is not Sanchez's blind side, and drive-run blocking ability (i.e. more of raw strength than polished technique/skills) would be more important.

If Jets can grab a stud OLB with 1st round pick, I still think Jets should go that way.

13. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I disagree that RT should be the number one priority. While it is a BIG priority, it isn't the biggest need or problem area. It was only this past season that it was a problem. The Jets haven't had a real pass rush in God knows how long. Good RTs are much easier to find than stud pass rushers. Solid OL can be found in FA, in the middle rounds of the draft, and sometimes even the lower rounds or UDFAs.

While it is very important to protect Sanchez, I think they can find a RT that is solid without using their #1 or #2 pick to find him. I think they should sign a vet FA, then draft an OT somewhere around the 3rd or 4rth round, then sign a UDFA OT or two, then let Hunter (if he's still on the team), Ducasse, Austin Howard and the rookies battle it out in camp. As a last resort, if none of those really pan out, then undoubtedly, other vet OTs will shake free during TC or they could trade for one. That said, I don't think it will come to that. Sparano is supposed to be a good OL coach. With a simplified system, possibly even better coaching, a full off season, and better talent in the mix, the problem should be resolved.

Imo, drafting a RT in the first or second round is a knee jerk reaction akin to Bradway drafting Mike Nugent in the 3rd round following the blown kick vs the Steelers in the playoffs the year before.

#13 joeklecko, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  14. NYJMONKEY

NYJMONKEY Member

I personally dont like that draft i would rather invest in a good OLB like upshaw move up and get him vet RT

15. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

PLEASE do not compare a kicker to a right tackle. Jonathan Martin is one of the top tackles in this draft and he is a projected top 10 pick so there is nothing knee jerk about selecting one of the top overall players in this draft. Your also talking about Bradway basing his assessment off of one game, Hunter has been HORRIBLE the entire season.

Prior to this offseason I was fully on board with the idea that we needed a pass rusher first and foremost and should we take Mercilus or Perry in the first round so be it. However, we have Maybin on defense and while you cant project what he will do in the future he does relieve some of the pass rush problems. As of now their is no one on the Jets roster we would be comfortable with starting at right tackle