Jets to hire Tony Sparano as Offensive Coordinator

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Jan 10, 2012.

1. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

.....this.....

2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

They have to. For all the finger-pointing about Schotty and Sanchez, most of our problems were penalties setting drives back and turnovers ending them. A lot of that Sanchez can control directly, a lot of it he can't.

Think of the high point of the season, 8-5, 3-game winning streak, destiny in our own hands. We come out and start running the ball down the Eagles' throat. What happens? Santonio fumble, give away 7 points. What happens next? Santonio drop/INT, give away 7 more we should have had.

It went on all season, if they don't fix it we'll all be sitting here next year at this time arguing over Sanchez's completion pct or whatever and it will be the same shit.

3. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Yeah but look at the 3-game winning streak. Bills, Redskins, Chiefs. Did that make you feel all warm and fuzzy? It's amazing to me that Jets fans get so up and so down based only on current circumstances. Everyone was ready to give up on the season after week 5 with San Diego coming. Then after the 3-game streak to get to 8-5, everyone was talking Super Bowl run again.

4. Italian Seafood

That's the way the NFL is for everyone, it's a short season so you live in the moment. Look at the Giants all pumped up now, two weeks ago they wanted their coach out and really had no business beating us.

After the Chiefs game I thought we were starting to hit our stride at the right time, after being inconsistent all year. That's why I point to the moment I did because to me that's where it fell apart. We had chances after that, right up to the end of the Miami game and almost got the help we needed, but as far as us being a good team heading into January with some momentum, to me that's where it went flat.

Yes, the Chiefs were a bad team, we got a few calls and their coach ended up losing his shit and getting fired, but they did turn around and beat Green Bay the next week and we did crush them, it's not like we eked it out.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

heheh...this will keep some juices flowing

RichCimini Rich Cimini
    Joe Namath doesn't like Sparano choice: "I'm stumped," he tells Kay show on 1050. Says Sparano lacks credentials to be off coor. #Jets

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Joe Namath bashing the Sparano choice. When the fuck is ESPN going to stop giving him a medium to bash the organization left and right? He's clearly bitter about something. He needs to waddle his way off a cliff.

7. Don

RichCimini Rich Cimini
    Btw, today is anniversary of Namath and #Jets win in Super Bowl III, 1969.

8. Don

Interesting..Callahan becomes Dallas OC

JennyVrentas Jenny Vrentas
    RT @toddarcher: Bill Callahan named Cowboys offensive coordinator/line coach but Jason Garrett continues as play caller.

9. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Unfortunately, this bitter old fuck will be the first inductee into the TGG Hall of Fame. Who did he want as OC?

10. sg3

sg3 Banned

the sad, pathetic old drunk is unhappy about the choice. Another reason to like it. He, for those who have forgotten, applauded wildly the choices of Charlie Winner, Lou Holtz, Bruce Coslet, Pete Carroll and Rich Kotite as head coaches of the NYJ.

"Scotch and Soda.... Mud in your eye"

Namath 'stumped' by Jets hiring Sparano

|More Print

5:22 PM, January 12, 2012ι By BRIAN COSTELLO
    Jets legend Joe Namath does not sound like a big Tony Sparano fan.

Appearing on 1050 ESPN Radio on Thursday, Namath was asked what he thought of the Jets hiring Sparano as their new offensive coordinator.

“I’m stumped. I am stumped. Ay yay yay,” Namath said.

He said he admired the way Sparano carried himself with the Dolphins when he was criticized. (Namath lives in Florida.) But he questioned whether Sparano is qualified for the job.

“Other than calling some plays with the Dallas Cowboys I don’t know what his credentials are for an offensive coordinator,” Namath said. . “This goes back … Sparano’s relationship with [Jets GM Mike] Tannenbaum goes back to the [Bill] Parcells days, too. This is the football fraternity, the coaching fraternity, the general mangers with their friends and all. That’s basically what I think about Tony getting that job. Credentials as an offensive coordinator? I don’t see it.”

Sparano worked with Parcells in Dallas and Miami, but Sparano did not work for the Jets with Tannenbaum when Parcells was the coach or in the front office.

Thursday was the 43rd anniversary of Namath leading the Jets to victory in Super Bowl III over the Colts.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsb..._sparano_6jRtCE8OSCviJjpqZOx0iN#ixzz1jHqN3aLO

11. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Is he ever sober? God I hate listening to him...anyone remember when he did the booth for games:eek:hmy:

12. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Joe Namath is a franchise legend but frankly he's senile. I have no idea why people keep going to him for quotes and give him air time. Who cares what he has to say

13. Don

Actually I can see his reasoning if they don't hire Haley or somebody else who at least has a clue about the passing game...Sparano really doesn't and since it has become a pass first league they need somebody who does..I think that is what he was getting at.

14. sg3

sg3 Banned

congratulations, Joe, Don the troll agrees with you

Bottoms up, Skoal and Salud

15. Italian Seafood

I was pretty surprised myself when I heard it, especially just seconds after learning Schotty was leaving. I figured that's how they would keep Callahan, but maybe Rex wants to bring in his own guys, who knows?

16. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Something just occurred to me. Has anyone heard or read whose choice Sparano was? The thought just hit me that perhaps this was Tanny's choice rather than Rex's and it was intended to send him a message to get the locker room zoo straightened out and some discipline on the team or his replacement is already waiting in the wings.

Does anyone think that is possible?

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't get this whole 'keeping x assistant coach around' nonsense. Forcing assistant coaches onto the staff is a big reason we're where we are right now. Let the guy choose his own staff already.

18. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

19. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

anytime you can get a former HC to be your coordinator, that's a good thing.

sparano knows the dolphins, and the division.

most of us wanted schotty gone so.....

if we get hayley, I will have confidence in our offense.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Really I don't see this. If Rex Ryan gets fired the odds are enormous that Mike Tannenbaum is losing the GM job also. Right now those two guys are bound at the hip because Rex is Tannenbaum's second coach hire and that's all a GM typically gets unless he has his team at the top of the standings fairly often.

I'm thinking Rex really wanted a guy who would no doubt, no questions asked, Ground and Pound and who had experience running that kind of offense. I think he wanted a guy who hated the Patriots as much as he did and wanted to knock the smug look off of Tom Brady's face for good. I think he wanted a guy he could sit down and have a beer with instead of watching the guy daintily sip white win opposite him.

I think Sparano was totally Rex's hire. I think there were many sexier choices that Tannenbaum and Woody would love to have brought in to win the off-season/PSL war again but they manned up and finally let Rex have his guy.