Jets to hire Tony Sparano as Offensive Coordinator

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Jan 10, 2012.

1. BleednGreen

BleednGreen Member

Will never happen.

2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

yea Peyton Manning is gonna come and play for Tony Sparano and run the wildcat. Hiring sparano pretty much put the nail in the coffin on the Manning thing

3. Mr. Green Pants

I feel the same. I'm getting the impression that Sparano's detail oriented approach will serve him well in this new, more limited role.

4. Mr. Green Pants

The Dolphins didn't even run the Wildcat last season. Not enough to say so, anyway. It's beyond ridiculous to think Sparano would try to run that if a Hall of Fame QB fell in his lap.

5. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I think Sparano will go along way to changing the mentality on this ball club. The Jets will benefit hugely from his leadership abilities and pulling this team together after Rex has seemingly lost the reigns.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Isn't it interesting how every bad play this year was the fault of the OC but when something bad happened in the past to the new OC it's not his fault. Of course a botched snap isn't his fault but they lost and the facts are he has never been a part of a playoff win. That doesn't mean he'll never win one w/ us or he is some jinx just pointing out an interesting fact about our new OC.

7. felker

felker Active Member

Even if Sparano is a complete bust and the Jets don't improve over 2011 I think Jets fans should be glad of this move and support it.

The fact is status quo wasn't working and the definition of insanity is keeping on trying the same thing and expecting a different result.

Along those lines I think Sanchez is now no longer the automatic choice to start. He probably will find he has to earn his job this fall, and may even be sitting on the bench at the start of the 2012 season. If I were Sparano I certainly wouldn't accept status quo with the offensive personnel. They would have to prove themselves.

Also the choice of a player's coach is important. There is a lot of stress in the Jets locker room, and that turmoil would make it unattractive to free agents. Sparano may help a lot with that situation.

8. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Stop, you're talking out of your ass. No one would be stupid enough to run the wildcat with Peyton Manning as their QB.

9. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I like the sounds of this. Too often over the last 3 years the team has showed up flat, unprepared and seemingly unmotivated. Even if this continues with the D, hopefully it won't with the offense, and once the D sees that the offense is playing smart, hard and tough, and showing up ready to play week in and week out, they'll get their act together too.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You're kidding right? When you say something like you said, it implies that the person in question was at fault. Them losing on a botched snap was not even close to his fault. For all intents and purposes, Sparano coached his side of the ball to a win.

11. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

It's TGG mob mentality, nothing new. It was Herm, then Chad, then Mangini, now it's Schotty. Somehow every time we get rid of "all our problems" we still manage to have more problems the next season, it's a phenomenon.

12. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Agreed. Don't get me started on Kurt Warner - the most overrated guy ever to be considered a good QB.

13. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

He did wonders for Vernon Carey. he was on his way out of the NFL and now he is darn near pro bowl.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

That was sarcasm, right? Hard to tell but he is almost certainly going into the hall of fame.

15. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

For some reason when you become a HC your perspective changes, many OC's & DC's who were great suddenly change when they become a HC. Early 80

's, Joe Walton was an innovative OC he becomes the HC & shits the bed, Bruce Coslett, innovative OC becomes HC & shits the bed. The list goes on &

on to today from Norv Turner to Wade Phillps, some guys are just not made to HC's but that doesn't mean they can't excel as an OC or a DC. I'm just

hoping Rex can make the transition.

16. The_Darksider

That's the point - the rankings mean squat. It's real life that means everything and while some of the stats may have been nice, the fact of the matter is the Jets were very boring and predictable on offense. Even when they were succeeding to a degree, which I assume is the only reason that numbskull was kept around. But he had no imagination, and played OC like a bad poker player who only looks at his own cards and doesn't worry about what anyone else has. He made poor adjustments (if he even made any) and never played to his players' strengths.

17. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Just remember this thread opening day next year when Matthew Mulligan halts another drive with a false start and a hold, we can all be happy with the fact that at least somebody new called the play.

18. The_Darksider

It's "The Phenomenon Known as Same Old Jets".

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It will be interesting to see if the offensive penalties do go down.

20. The_Darksider

No, it's not sarcasm. He's gonna end up in the hall of fame, but I don't believe he deserves it. He's like the football player version of Phil Jackson - what did he ever do without having superstars on his side in optimal conditions? The Rams of the late 90s/early 2000s were stacked, and when he broke out again with the Cardinals he had a monster of a guy in Fitzgerald, a great 2nd banana in Boldin and a couple of other good receivers.

Stick him in the Northeast and he rides the pine for several years and/or fumbles everything away.