Mirror Image 3rd Year #s Eli vs. Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 12, 2012.

1. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I Like the comparison because it give us a little hope but Eli took a huge step in year 4 winning the SB. I just hope Mark can do the same.

On a side note: I am concerned with the way so many of Mark's passes are tipped at the line. Like 4 a game or so. I was trying to come up with comparison and could not locate the numbers of tipped balls. I seem to remember that Drew Breeze had a simular problem early in his career and they brought in Doug Flute to work with him/mentor him. It might not sound like much but it looks to me that Mark is often missing receivers while trying to fit the ball into passing lanes. If he could get his comp percentage up he could become a decent QB. Just my opinion but that is one thing he needs to work on.

2. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with them both being starters for NY Clubs. The interesting thing is that Eli is an elite QB and in his third year his numbers were fairly identical to Sanchez.

Alot of fans give up on their quarterbacks early look at Drew Brees.

3. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

4. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Member

For what its worth, I ran into Sanchez at the Chipotle on 22nd/6th the Wednesday of the first bye week. When I first saw him (he was wearing a baseball hat), I txted my brother-in-law that I just saw a mini-me Mark Sanchez, thinking he was WAY too small to be an NFL QB so I just brushed it off. I was standing about 7 feet from him at this point. Then Kate Upton came up to him and I knew it was him (an article said he frequents her flatiron apt). He's listed at 6'1 225lbs but I think that is very generous (I'm 6'1). The only other comparison I have is seeing Pennington and I couldn't believe how big he was (especially his tree-trunk neck) . I know there are other successful QB's with a similar size but I was really shocked. On that note, he is one tough MF taking those hits at his size.

5. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain New Member

Philip Rivers had a passer rating of 105 in his third full year starting.

6. jets4lyfah

jets4lyfah Banned

Don't expect the Sanchez haters to grasp what they are looking at. they are so blinded by hate.

Sanchez will be the best QB in NY by 2013 BOOK IT

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Rivers was a better prospect from the beginning, and he got to ride the pine for 2 seasons behind Brees.

Bad comparison

8. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

The difference a Sanchez fumble for 6. People seem to forget that as well.

Pitt went into a prevent defense and let the Jets do some good things in the 2nd half. But the differenc was the turnover machine's pick 6,

And lets get real. Pitt doesnt go into prevent D, and Sanchez throws like 5 picks.

When you cant read a blitz and defenisve package, you cant succeed in the NFL. Sanchez cant do either.

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

our D was not 3rd best in 2010 and our run game was not 4th best, watch the games rather than just post silly rankings.

Actually Eli wasn't very good throuhg most of '07, he got hot a the right time late in the year as did the team. His reg season #s were significanly worse than Sanchez this year- less TDs, more INTs, lower comp %, lower yds/att, lower rating. Going into week 17 he had 19 Tds and 19 INTs.

Stats don't tell us everything but he didn't really takle a leap until 2008 then of course he regressed the next couple of years.

awesome, did those ratings help him winplayoff games? he has one title game app(w/ a team that was the favorite every year) and they made it w/ Rivers hurt and Billy Volek leading the GW drive.

The D allowed Pitt to control the clock all 1st half and got us down 17-0, the fumble hurt(which I still don't believe was a fumble) but we got the game back to w/in a score and the D failed again. The difference was the defense in that game.

10. NYColtFan

NYColtFan New Member

Remember, part of Eli's success was due to the fact that he had a competent QB coach in Kevin Gilbride, who was elevated to the OC position.

Sanchez's stunted growth right now probably has as much to do with Matt Cavanaugh (who coached immortal QBs such as Steve Beuerlein, Dave Krieg, Eric Kramer, Elvis Grbac, Trent Dilfer and Kyle Boller) as it does with Schotty.

Among Sanchez's biggest flaws are poor fundamentals - bad footwork, poor ball security, poor pocket presence (although part of that might be due to what we call the David Carr Effect) - surely these are aspects that would be of more emphasis to the position coach rather than the coordinator (though obviously this varies more from team to team)

I think you guys need Haley to compliment Sparano if Sanchez is going to take that next step and follow the same route as Eli.

11. jetsown22

jetsown22 New Member

Lol Nyjunc your Sanchez excuses are getting pathetic. Almost this almost that almost doesn't count. He had esentially 3 playoff games this season(last 3 games of the season) and choked every one. Forget the stats, whats with the Eli Manning comparisons?(his name is not Eli Manning its Mark Sanchez, just because Alex Smith and Eli Manning finally started to get it after 8 years doesn't mean he will, so the 10% of quarterbacks finally start to play well, how many end up failing and taking office jobs after being out of the league in 4 years?). Just look at his poor decision making and his dumb mistakes you can't correct that or teach that. He is not a Nfl quarterback period.

12. Mr. Green Pants

A player can't gain a better understanding of the game from more work and experience? That'll come as news to every QB who didn't completely master the game by their third year.

13. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

14. nyjunc

I don't deal w/ excuses like you are trying to take credit from him. 3 years in he has helped us reach 2 title games- no other QB in Jets history has heled us get to 2 title games(whether AFL or AFC). Did he suck down the stretch this year? no doubt but so did the rest of the team too. To blame him is silly, you don't get to back to back title games w/ poor QB play.

15. BleednGreen

BleednGreen Member

Last year? Last year the Jets team made it to the AFC title game and beat New England in the playoffs

What does last year have anything to do with this year :lol:

16. nyjunc

You missed the point, rankings only tell us so much. we were 6th in the more important category of points allowed, barely ahead of NE- do you think NE's D was as good as ours?

we were 4th in rush yds, 8th in YPC- that's not a good ratio and that includes the end arounds, reverses and wildcat plays. A QB isn't benfitting from play action on those types of plays. Our top 2 RBs averaged 4.1 YPC- good but far from top 5 good.

Look beyond the rankings.

17. BleednGreen

BleednGreen Member

Haters gon' hate

18. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

You're pretty slick junc.

Only use the stats when they support your arguement, and if they don't, you have to look "beyond" the rankings.

You are definitely a very good spinmaster.

19. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

I already posted this on Sunday.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

In Eli's third year you were still allowed to try and separate the ball from a receiver while they were catching it. Now you have to let them catch it and tackle them. In Eli's third year there weren't 3 5000 yard passers, two of whom broke a 30 year old record.

If you want to compare the numbers, you have to do it as rankings compared to other QB's that year.