Top free agents for next season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

I can not stand that celebration.... I've nearly broken TV's because of it

2. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Then you need to open your eyes. The biggest weakness of this team over the last 5+ years has been it's lack of a consistent pass rush. Even a couple of years ago when Rex was the mad blitzer, the team could not create constant pressure on opposing QBs. Once teams figured out those blitzes, the rush got even weaker.

The RT position can and should be addressed via FA. The team does not need a rookie starting at RT next season. They can draft one in the 4th round or lower and groom him for 2013 or 2014,

There isn't a safety that's rated a mid-first round pick.

OLB or WR are the only two positions that really make any sense in round one unless Richardson somehow falls to #16. Even then, I think they'd be wise to trade down with some team who had a Jones for Richardson, garnering at least an additional 3rd round pick (if not a 2nd), then take the best available OLB or WR.

3. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I'd love Avril and Meachem to a lesser extent, but don't think the Jets will have the cap space. I think they'll be lucky to have the space to sign 1, maybe 2 cheaper FAs. They may be able to sign Kareem McKenzie and Michael Griffin or Reggie Nelson, but I wouldn't expect any more than that. If they can sign Griffin or Nelson and McKenzie, I'll be ecstatic. That will address two huge needs.

It's a deep draft for WRs and a good, somewhat deep draft for OLBs. The Jets can take a good OLB prospect at #16, draft a WR or S in round 2, and the other in round 3 and feel very good about addressing their needs.

4. Sanchize0829

Sanchize0829 Well-Known Member

The Jets should not overdraft on the offensive line just to fill a need, but I don't have a problem with the Jets drafting a guy like DeCastro, Reiff or Martin if they fall to #16. I also don't have a problem with the Jets drafting someone like Cordy Glenn. All of those guys could step into the offensive line and provide an immediate improvement at the position they play. I do however have a problem with the Jets drafting someone like Zebrie Sanders or Mike Adams if those guys I named are all already gone. It would be a waste of a first round pick to draft guys like that. Sure, they could be very decent starters for the Jets, but their are more talented guys to draft in the first round. I agree with your draft strategy though. Draft a OLB or WR if those guys I named are not available. If you cut Holmes, then getting a WR is an obvious choice. Guys like Floyd, Jeffrey, Ingram, Upshaw and Mercilus will all be available with the Jets first round pick.

5. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I'd rather have McKenzie at 33 than Brown at 27.

So what if McKenzie is going to be 33? They don't have to sign him long term. OL can and do play well until they're in their mid-to-late 30s. They could sign him to a one or two-year deal, then draft a RT in the 4th or 5th round and groom him for the future. By the time McKenzie's deal is up or his play drops precipitously, perhaps that new RT would be ready or maybe even Ducasse. If not, then they can address the position again in FA or the draft that year.

RT is absolutely the wrong way to go in the first or second round. To begin with, there just aren't the "great" RT prospects in this year's draft that there have been in other drafts. Second, there are bigger needs (OLB, WR and S) that could be addressed very well in this draft. Third, you have to draft to the strength of the draft, not reach for players.

6. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

So? They can just cut his ass. Chances are that most teams wouldn't want him anyway with that contract.

7. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

You're right that it has been Tanny's MO, but hopefully, Rex has told him that if he does that again this year and doesn't address multiple needs, that he's gonna kick his (Tanny's ) ass. That is why the Jets are in the mess they are personnel wise...Tanny's ego. He always has to make the big splash by trading up or signing a big name FA, rather than going out and finding good, young talent cheaply and addressing multiple holes and depth.

Tanny needs to be fired if he does that shit again this year. If not, Woody needs to go bankrupt and be forced to sell the team, because it will never win anything with Tanny as GM.

8. Braylon4ever

Braylon4ever Active Member

What I wouldn't give to see someone pop him as he's doing that stupid pose. I would laugh so friggin' hard..... :lol:

9. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Slauson played RT in college, NOT the NFL. Big difference. I don't think he has the footwork or speed to play RT. He would probably be only marginally better than Hunter, and could even be worse.

Just signing big name FAs at positions of need doesn't work. That's one of the reasons the locker room became so selfish this season. One or both of them might fit in scheme-wise, but would they be team players and fit in in the locker room? Even more importantly, could the Jets afford either one of them? Doubtful imo. I think both will get BIG contracts.

10. Braylon4ever

Couldn't help but lol at this. :lol:

It's wrong but it's still funny.

That said, getting him back is a must along with a new RT.

11. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

IMO, taking ANY of the OL prospects you named would be overdrafting. 16 is way too high to take an OG unless he is a can't miss stud at the position, can pull and is very versatile. Both Reiff and Martin are LTs. Both need work on pass blocking and to get stronger. Neither would probably be that much better than Hunter in 2012. Taking a LT and trying to plug him into the RT position is over drafting imo. A RT needs to be solid in pass protection, but first and foremost a road grader and/or mauler in the run game. Even if one or both of them project better as a RT in the NFL, with the Jets' lack of team speed and with major needs at OLB and WR, drafting an OT at #16 would be an awful move and knee-jerk reaction imo.

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

Pick 16 would not be over drafting if it was Martin or DeCastro. Martin would be a solid RT, and is a good runblocker. He could be a top ten pick. DeCastro could step in and be a top 15 guard in the league day 1, and potentially be a probowler as a rookie. He is about the surest, safest pick as there is in the draft. Only thing about picking DeCastro is, is that pick doesnt really fill a need, but it would really help the OL and give the offense a boost in the run game for the next 8-10 years.

13. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

DeCastro would upgrade Slauson or be Moore's replacement in a year or two, but for now, it would be a somewhat unnecessary pick that wouldn't help the team that much because it doesn't address glaring needs that could and should be addressed in significant fashion (first and second rounds). It's what Tanny has done for years (upgrade positions that were already somewhat strong) while ignoring glaring needs.

What difference would it really make to have DeCastro at LG, Slauson on the bench and still have Hunter at RT, still have no consistent pass rush, or still have no deep threat at WR??? A negligible difference, that's what. If the team has any hopes of making the SB, it HAS to address the pass rush, and if they have any hopes to enable Sanchez to develop, for the offense to extend drives and score points (thus resting the D), and to win, they have to add speed and a deep threat at WR. Excellent RTs and OGs can be found and developed in the mid-to lower rounds or even as UDFAs. Using the #16 pick on an OL in this draft would be stupid, imo. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

14. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I was talking about those were the only elite players we can expect to pursuit via FA. I believe we absolutely need a pass rusher but it HAS to be via the draft, because we cant afford to go out and give some guy 12-15 million a year leaving us hopeless to effectively fix our other needs.

15. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Sorry if I misunderstood. I definitely agree with you now. To begin with, I dont' think the Jets will even have $12-$15 million to sign any players. They have multiple needs that MUST be addressed.

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

First off, Ill say that DeCastro would not be my top choice, but I would be okay if he was the selection. I would rather have Upshaw, Martin and Mercilus just because of need (possibly others). But DeCastro is a great player and would be an upgrade at both RG and LG. It would be hard to make a case to cut Moore because of the lack of leadership on Offense and the whole team.

Honestly dont see how Martin would be a downgrade at RT... Hunter is shit. Martin IMO would be an immediate upgrade, and would hold down the right side for many years to come, unlike a FA.

I am really pro drafting an OLB in the first, unless a stud drops (Richardson, Martin, maybe Jeffery). This draft is deep at WR, and we could pick a very solid WR in the 2nd, 3rd and even 4th. Unless Martin is there in the first, any other Olineman would be a reach. And OLB is kinda thin... we would be lucky if we waited til the 2nd to address it and Nick Perry was still there.

17. Braylon4ever

Too late. Santonio Holmes says High...err, I mean Hi.

18. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

why bring in a QB to be a #2 QB? We must bring in a guy that can win the job and in doing so push Sanchez to excel, if he can. Let the best QB win. I see too many of Sanchez' fans who only want to give him the job without making him earn it! That is wrong! The prudent thing is for the Jets to be winners not an individual player! If we get to a SB and win it who cares who the heck the QB is? Its the TEAM that is important and should get our loyalty.

19. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I'll be totally surprised if Perry makes it to the 2nd round. In fact, I'll be very surprised if he doesn't shoot up the ranks following the Combine and is gone by the time the Jets pick at #16.

20. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Because a #2 qb cost alot less money than a starting one ?